ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Trulock Chokes

Post subject: Small diameter chokes maximum bore size
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm posting here in hopes you can help me with some info. I recently had a local smith install small diameter chokes In my Winchester model 50. He happens to use Carlsons. I've used it for awhile with mainly a lite modified choke and lead no.6 loads. I noticed an odd ring that I can feel forming just a slight bit up from the skirt of the choke. It was not hard to remove or install or felt strange in any way. I decided to remove it and use a modified choke. The modified choke felt strange when I was checking its tightness by hand after about 12 shells of 7.5's. I removed it and a tiny perfectly round piece of skirt had broke off. I spoke to the manufacturer and sent the barrel and chokes to them.

They said my bore is too big for their small diameter chokes. Their cutt off is .728 my bore is .729 my local smith said he thought the limit was .730. I've looked around at different places offering thin wall choke installation that offer tru-lock brand and some say .730 for the max and some say .728 So you as the manufacture what do you recommend the max bore size should be to use your small diameter chokes. If they will work for me I will purchase an entire set of small diameter extended hunter series. Thanks for your time and I don't expect you to coment on a competitor product I just want to know if I can use yours with my bore size since the size and thread are the same.

Post subject: Re: Small diameter chokes maximum bore size
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

They are generally used with small outside diameter barrels-- .805 to .825,with with 2 3/4" lead loads only. Bore isn't an issue, as long as there the skirt does not protrude into the bore.

The cylinder tube is "SD12730 Cylinder 0.000" - - - .730 inside diameter.

You might want to call Trulock to confirm. George also makes custom tubes that you may or may nor need.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Re: Small diameter chokes maximum bore size
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 am 
Site Sponsor

Sir,
Please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond.
We do not recommend the SD series of chokes in any bore larger than .728
While it can be done at .730, risks of problems increase.
I suggest that you have your gunsmith to carefully examine the choke seat to make sure that it has no bevels as this can cause the problem you had.
If you would like you can call to discuss this.
George Trulock