It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Franchi 48al vs new
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:48 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all. Ive seen some new franchi 48al 20 gauges sell for $800 and some used for $400. Are there any major advantages that the new has over the old other than a barrel with screw in chokes? Wouldn't it be more logical to buy the old version and then buy the new barrel with the screw in chokes ($250). Would the new barrels fit on the old receivers? What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Old Franchi 48al vs new
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:03 am 
Field Grade

Very good question as I was just logging in to this subforum to ask pretty much the same questions. I came across a couple older 20 gauges with the plain barrel which I wasn't too crazy about and wanted to know if a new vent rib choked barrel would swap. Hopefully the experts will chime in.

Post subject: Re: Old Franchi 48al vs new
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 pm 
Field Grade

You may be pleasantly surprised shooting that plain barrel instead of the vent rib. The vent rib was invented to fix heat mirage on hot barrels. Not something common on guys shooting pheasant or quail. I long thought how silly for anyone to buy a gun with out a rib. Then I picked up an old plain barrel Remington 31. I seriously have never shot better. I even use it for shooting sporting clays. Shot an 85 with it last week. That's much bett r than I have ever done with a gun with a rib.

I am not saying it will be the same for you as it is for me. But I would say don't poo poo the plain barrel so easily. Besides your not supposed to look at the barrel anyway.