It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AL 48 break down for cleaning.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:35 pm 

Here’s the complete tear down for the Franchi AL48. The below is on a late model 12 gauge and older and sub gauges could differ slightly.

Remove the forearm nut, forearm, barrel, friction ring, and barrel return spring. Knock out the trigger group pins (left to right) and remove the trigger group. With a flat tip screwdriver press down the bolt return spring follower/cup.

This will let the bolt link comes out of the cup. It helps to hold the gun pointing up while holding it with you left hand and your thumb on the bolt handle.

Now you can slide the bolt handle out of the back of the bolt body. Push the bolt link towards the top of the receiver and push the bolt out of the receiver. Knock out the bottom pin from the bolt and remove the lever that is rounded in the front along with the spring and sleeve. Turn the bolt over on its left side and shake it a little. The pin that connects the bolt link to the bolt body will fall out. Rotate the locking lug out of the bolt body. With a roll pin or pin punch, knock out the roll pin at the back of the bolt. Now the firing pin and spring can be removed. Here’s what the bolt looks like taken apart.

Remove the recoil pad with a #1 Phillips screwdriver, making sure to wet the pad where the holes are to prevent tearing. Remove the stock bolt with a 11mm socket or a 5/16 slotted screwdriver. With a 3 /8 flat tip screwdriver or drag link socket break loose the bolt return spring plug at the end of the spring tube. Warning: it’s under spring tension so make sure you are ready when near the end of the threads. Remove the spring and follower cup.

Use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the magazine spring retainer at the end of the magazine tube. Warning it’s under spring tension. Remove the spring, plug (if applicable, and the follower.

Clean the parts with a solvent like Hoppes #9 etc. Spray the receiver and the trigger group with a gun scrubber and let them set a little. For oil use a good one like CLP, FP-10, or Militec. Lightly lube the firing pin and spring and install back into the bolt. Lightly lube the locking lug and the groove and install back in to the bolt. Lightly lube the other spring and pins and replace them on the bolt along with the link.

Clean the insides of the bolt return and magazine tubes with a patch and solvent like your barrel. Clean the springs and their followers. Lightly lube their springs and put these assemblies back together. The best way to put the plug in for the bolt return tube is to thread a Phillips or Torx driver thru them and push it down and twist to start threading it into the tube.

Put a drop or two of oil in the receiver rails and let it run backwards. Then slide the bolt assembly into the receiver. Once part way in slide the bolt handle into the bolt from behind. Pay attention to the cut out in the bolt link and the nub that sticks out on the bolt handle. Push the link towards the top of the receiver to get the bolt into the receiver. Put the link into the bolt return spring follower cup.

Clean the out side of the magazine tube, barrel return spring, friction ring, and barrel band with a solvent. Lightly lube the out side of the spring and magazine tube and reassemble. I also like to lightly lube the outside of the barrel extension.

Post subject: re: AL 48 break down for cleaning.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow.... I think I'll just send my AL48 to you to tear down/clean. I'd never get it back together. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:18 pm 

If you don't think you could get it back together I must not have done a very good job on this post. If you start one it and have problems you can always send me a PM or post here for help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 am 
Limited Edition

I think I'd be cool with everything except the bolt. But I did survive detail stripping one of my Garands so maybe I can do this. :lol:

Post subject: Re: AL 48 break down for cleaning.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great job, Worc!

Thanks. I've been using mine for almost 50 years. It needs a good cleaning, I think. :mrgreen:

I have often regretted my speech, but never my silence.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Here is a link to get an actual Owner's manual. You have to have Adobe Reader for it but the site has just about any manual you can think of.

www.stevespages.com/

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Franchi 48AL

"Those who turn their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is the AL 48 based off of the Browning A5? Externally the guns look similar, and you mentioned friction rings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some folks call it a "cheap knock-off" of the A-5.

The 48 is a long recoil action gun that is internally patterned after the A-5. It has been my go to gun for over 50 years. I have an A-5 and it is a good gun. I don't use it much. The 48 is a much lighter gun that is very tough. The 48 is an uplanders dream come true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Got you. So similar to an A-5 but not identical. But an AL 48 is not a gas gun.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am 
Limited Edition

UnitMaster wrote:
Got you. So similar to an A-5 but not identical. But an AL 48 is not a gas gun.

Thanks

Neither is the A5. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much for this. This was great. I've had my grandfathers Franchi since he died. I got it to shoot light loads by adjusting the friction rings properly, but by the looks of the trigger group and bolt assembly this was the first time it was taken apart. These pictures gave me the courage to tear it apart. Thanks. Can't wait to get out and shoot it now that it has had a thorough cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

UnitMaster wrote:
Is the AL 48 based off of the Browning A5? Externally the guns look similar, and you mentioned friction rings.

The AL 48 is almost identical to the Ithaca SKB 300. It is not really at all like the A5 except it is long recoil. It is about as simple as a semi auto gets. The A5 is incredibly complicated by comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great post but could we get some clearer more in focus pictures please? LOL Looks like these came from a cell phone. Might help out those with questions. And edit them in MS Paint detailing the parts possibly?? Thanks in advance sir. :)

slomo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello: That looks alot like the Breda 610 20 gauge I have inside. I have just cleaned it all up and I am trying to get it to shoot light loads. I did the friction ring setting for light loads but it still does not eject the shells all the time or feed the next round. Any ideas? Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Almost identical to an SKB 300....

Does anyone know if the magazine spring and follower from an SKB 300 work in a Franchi 48 AL 20 gauge?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

A good post informative. Love the Franchi 48s something about the simplicity and feel i like the AL has to be one of the best upland semi autos ever made. I have a 48A magnum at present i like the 48s 8) .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

Hi, I'm from Salta-Argentina, I would be so kind to show me how ejector Franchi AL 48. Excuse my English, use google translator. thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The ejector or the extractor? The extractor rolls out of the bolt with thumb pressure. Goes back in the same way. Very easy to install. Pop out, pop in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:13 pm 
Field Grade

I want to know how the ejector (an image or picture). thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi worc:

How can I open the images on this post? I click on them, and nothing happens. I would love to see them!

Tia,

leomat