CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi I-12 vs Benelli Super Sport
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a Suport Sport a little while ago and just recently added a Franchi I-12. I have mostly owned O/U's but recently have been getting into the Semi's and I am finding that a lighter and longer semi real handles quite beautifully in comparison to the O/U's.

So, here are my observations between the Farnchi and the Benelli.

The Benelli appears to be a little better over all quality as you would expect since it costs twice as much. The Franchi fit, finish and overall quality seems real good though and I am pleased with this. The Benelli crio treated barrel and chokes do seem to stay cleaner than any other gun I have owned.

There are numerous discussions on the forum about the I-12 action and its similarity to the Benelli. This should clear it up. The Benelli has a small arm attached at the rear of the bolt that pushes against a cup at the rear of the receiver. Behind the cup is the recoil spring that is located in the butt stock. Because of this, there is very little added weight or drag to the bolt. The Benelli is FAST! REAL FAST!

The Franchi bolt looks almost identical however instead of the arm, cup and buttstock located recoil spring it has the following; the bolt sits inside of a long and somewhat large set of steel arms. the steel arms go forward all the way up to the front of the foregrip. The recoil spring is located inside the foregrip where the steel arms pull against the recoil spring instead of pushing against it. Because of the steel arm bolt carrier design the Franchi is slower than the Benelli. I would rate the Franchi speed as Medium. (Remington 1100 would be slow for comparison sake).

Both guns are very easy to disassemble. The benelli is easier to clean the receiver since it has a 2 piece receiver and essentially the top of the receiver comes right off. The Franchi receiver is still easy to clean though and in fact it is easier to clean the Franchi recoil assembly than the Benelli. If comparing the Franchi against a Benelli one piece receiver then it is roughly the same ease of cleaning.

The Benelli handles extremely well. I have the 30" barrel and it is excellent for sporting clays. It is good for skeet except on a few of the shots the longer barrel is a little slower to get on the bird... and with skeet barrel speed can really help. Now for the real surprise. The Franchi in my opinion handles EXTREMELY WELL. It is a meduim weight gun and swings perfectly smooth with a great balance. I have only had it a few days and I am very glad I bought it. Quite frankly I can not believe a gun in this price range handles this well.

The Benelli has been super reliable feeding anything I put in it including 1oz & 1 1/8 OZ #8 and #9 from Remington, Federal and RIO. The Franchi has had about 15% failuire to feed the second round using Federal Top Gun #8 1oz loads. It appears that some of the rounds just do not have the snot to cycle the load. Using Remington Gun Club #9 1 1/8 oz loads and using Rio #9 1oz loads the Franchi was 100% reliable. I tried two 7/8oz loads and Mr. Franchi told me to forget about it. The Gun is brand new with only 200 rounds through her so maybe it will loosen up and handle the Federals. It does appear that the gun will be ultra reliable if making sure to buy loads it likes. I will experiment more and report back if I find out more.

I really like the I-12 and am very glad I picked it up. I would definately recommend it for a skeet, sporting clays or hunting gun as long as it fits you and you like the looks, which I do. For what it is worth, the Benelli Super Sport is an incredible gun, many people ask me about it at the range and want to try shooting it and everyone of them say the same thing, "it shoulders and points better than any other gun they have picked up". The cordoba is the exact same gun with different finish and wood and I found it to feel this way when shouldering them in shops too. Highly reccomend the Super Sport and Cordoba too. But if you want a shot gun under $1000 you will be happy with the Franchi.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering either of these guns. let me know if you have any questions.

Post subject: Re: Franchi I-12 vs Benelli Super Sport
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Stoeger M2000 has the same basic action as the I-12 and is actually rated higher by Gun Tests Magazine. It is in the $450-500 price range. The actions are made in the same factory. The Stoeger is assembled in Turkey and the Franchi is assembled in Italy. The I-12 looks a bit better and has shims for adjustment. The Benelli shims will fit the M2000 with a very minor modification.

For the money, the M2000 is the best inertia action on the market. There is little difference in the three except cosmetics and placement of the recoil springs.

My two sons and I have used two M2000s for several years with no problem. My nephew has a SBE and eyeballs me when I take my M2000 out for the hunt but my guns have never jammed. I wait on him while he clears his jam then listen to him brag that the SBE is a better gun. It is, price-wise and cosmetically. My guns go bang and shoot where I point them and they don't jam. What more can a shooter ask for? I am a poor man who has nothing but good things to say about the M2000. I can't afford a higher priced gun and the M2000 has served me well.

The M2000 is a Montefeltro clone that does what it is supposed to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well this posting was not really about the Stoeger but since you bring up the Stoeger in the Franchi forum.... I checked out the Stoeger and the stock on it is complete garbage. i do not doubt that the action is probably solid. The butt stock is extremly light and feels like it is made out of plastic from a childs toy. It throws the entire balance of the gun off making it front heavy. I ended up getting my Franchi for $150 more than the stoeger with a nice stock, perfect balance and yes it looks better than a stoeger. As far as the "gun test" mentioned, i am performing my own gun test (I am not paid by anyone for any advertising, I just like to own and shoot guns) and as I stated above I tried 3 different types of ammo from 3 different manufacturers. The Franchi did not perform well with one of them but was 100% reliable with the others.

For those who might be interested in buying a Franchi i will post more shooting results with regards to ammo and reliability.

As far as gun handling, I own and have shot a number of different guns and the balance and handling of the Franchi I-12 is excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Post the reviews. I might buy an I-12 for myself. I love trying out different guns.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am 
Field Grade

Ev, you're killing me today... {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I have been posting many updates in the Benelli forum. In case you are interested in reading them here is a link to them.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=227440

to summarize, I have shot over 500 rounds out of it now. Now that it is broken in I am not having an failures with it at all. It has cycled the last 300 rounds perfectly with a mix of 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads.

The handling is superb. I dropped the comb yesterday using the shims they give you with the gun. This was very easy to do and took about 5 minutes total. I think it fits perfect now and I was hitting targets noticeably harder.

There is no issue with the bolt handle. It does not fly out. It is so hard to get it out of the gun that I have to wrap it with a cloth and use pliers to get it out.

I definately receommend this shotgun and think the balance and handling is superb. It is a great all around gun for hunting, skeet, sporting clays. If you don't want to spend the money on a Benelli or Beretta, take a serious look at the i-12.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Franchi has over 1000 rounds through her now. I have been feeding it #8 & #9 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads all 2 3/4 DRAM. Remington Gun Club & Federal Top Gun.

The gun is running like a clock now. I have not had a failure in over 650 rounds. The gun is broken in now and just runs great. Still love the handling.

Definately reccomend the gun and also reccomend breaking in it with some 1 1/8 3 dram loads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

Please keep the reports coming.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quick update. I shot hundred rounds yesterday. no issues with the Federal Top Gun 1oz #8 2 3/4 Dram. These have been functioning perfectly for the last 700 or 800 rounds (also the Remington gun club #8 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 Dram). I also shot 50 rounds of Rio 1oz #9 2 3/4 Dram. I had one failure to extract but the rest worked fine. The round also felt light like maybe it did not have enough powder in it. This is the first failure I have had in approx 800 rounds. I have also shot some of the Federal Top Gun #9 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 Dram loads lately and there have been no issues wioth them.

My son was shooting the Benelli Super Sport and tried the Franchi. He said he thought the Franchi had more recoil. But he still broke the bird. Anyway, the Franchi continues to function without issue. Both guns continue to be very easy to clean.

I may buy a Beretta to compare to the benelli and Franchi. Anyway, I still recommend the Benelli Super Sport and Franchi I-12 for handling, reliability and ease of cleaning. You might be able to find softer shooters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:20 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the useful reports. Any jams with the SS?

.45ACP is......(mind wandering)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have had one jam with the Super Sport in about 1300 rounds and I might not have had the gun shouldered real well that time. it has been very reliable and I have tried about 4 or 5 types of ammo. A friend gave me a 7/8 oz reload to try and that would not function, it was too light. but 1oz and larger function fine.