CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I-12 Break In Info
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I ordered a black synthetic I-12 today. It should be here by the weekend, so I will have a chance to "break it in" before we have a Rod and Gun Club trap shoot on the 19th. I have read a lot about the importance of breaking the gun in properly to avoid FTE's, but I have not been able to find the correct method of doing so. I understand that there is some info in the manual that comes with the gun, but I would love to hear from people with field experience.
I have heard enough horror stories, so I'm looking for some good solid methods that have worked with your I-12.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: I-12 Break In Info
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am 
Tournament Grade

the only time i've heard of fte's on franchi (im looking to get one in 24" for turkey & pheasant) is because it isnt held tight enough to the body. something about the intertia system needing a solid "wall" (the wall being the stock against your shoulder) to bounce off of. i was told it was more of an issue with lighter loads...

thats how it was explained to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:40 am 
Utility Grade

I have heard that is an issue as well. It shouldn't be a problem while shooting trap, and I'll just have to train the ducks to come in when I call "Pull".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The I-12 has the same action as the Stoeger 2000. What I do is this:

I shoot some 1 oz loads first. If it doesn't reliably cycle these, i go up to 1 1/8 oz. Then up a bit heavier until the gun cycles that load. Most of the time, the 2000 will shoot 1 oz loads with no problem. I now use 7/8 oz loads in mine.

Most of the time, these guns will reliably cycle 1 1/8 oz loads for a break-in period. The owner's manual states that the guns will cycle 1 oz loads and mine have always done that. I have three of the 2000s. One is an old model and two are three years old. I bought the 2000s over the I-12 because of the comparison testing done by Gun Tests Magazine. The I-12 threw the charge handle and jammed to much for the to grade it.

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

There ought to be a better way of starting the day than having to get up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Update:
I now have approx 250 rounds of WalMart Federal 1 1/8oz loads through the I-12 during backyard trap shoots. Not one single FTF, FTE, FTL, FTanything....
Bottom line - very pleased with the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I love my Franchi I-12. I have about 100 rounds through it with out any problems. Before I even thought about going to the range, i broke it down and cleaned it to get all of the packing grease out of the nooks and crannies. I went as far as taking out the trigger group as well. Out of the 100 rounds I put Remington game load, federal Wal-mart and another brand I can't recall at the moment. All went well. I did not have stove pipes, fte or ftf. I am really pleased with this gun. There is something to be said about the inertia system. I hated cleaning my Beretta 390 and Rem 11-87. When I took it apart to clean it after the range, I found it did not have that much powder and residue like my 390 or 11-87. I mean I am a nut when it comes to cleaning firearms.