It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I pass on a Renaissance Sporting?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:50 am 
Utility Grade

I am a long time shooter but just recently caught the shotgun itch. A local store has a used renaissance sporting model with 30" ported barrels and adjustable comb for $900. The gun looks to be in great condition.

I've heard great things about franchi, but searching this forum specifically for the renaissance brought up some post referencing poor quality and parts breaking on this model. Is this a known bad model for franchi? I plan to use it to shoot trap/skeet/sporting clays. Is that a fair price for a used sporting model?

Post subject: Re: Should I pass on a Renaissance Sporting?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:31 pm 
Field Grade

I have one. My first sporting shotgun. This gun is either not made any longer or not imported but disappeared a few years ago. Mine went 16000 rounds before having light pin strikes. Called Beretta (service center) and they wanted nothing to do with it. Had one local smith clean internals which cured light strikes for about one round of sporting clays. I researched parts schematic, ordered and changed pins, pin springs, hammer springs. Cured the light strike issue but started pin dragging upon opening issue. Put old parts back in and still dragging. Had another local smith look at it. Replaced one other part and gun is working again but still sticking slightly on opening.

Probably should send it to MGW but moved on to a new shotgun (not Beretta). I now use it for bad weather or as a loaner.

Neither smith had worked on this model before but commented the quality was better than they expected.

Think I'd look at other options if I were you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:54 am 
Presentation Grade

They were $1500-$1600 guns when new. They closed out in the $900 range when they were discontinued. I had a field version, nice wood and super light. It had a few hundred rounds through it with no issues. I have read that higher volume guns had trigger issues. Doubling and such. While a decent field gun, I would probably look elsewhere for a volume shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks everyone! That is all I need to know. I'll pass on this one :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have one and it is a fine piece and I have had no issues with it. The list price was $2,200 on the Sporting models when new, and was second only to the Renaissance Elite ($2,300), which was not really a sporting type shotgun, but had premium wood and engraving. There were two lower models, field (lowest, $1,299) and classic ($1,650) (better wood, gold trigger and better engraving than field).