It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affinity FTF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

Good evening,

I purchased a new Affinity a year ago that was shot a couple of times last season. Cleaned it and put it in the safe until last week. Went out this past weekend on a hunt and shot it a couple of times. On a subsequent shot, pulled the trigger and just "click". I went to open the bolt and there wasn't a shell in the chamber. I then cycled the action a few times and the shell from the magazine never lifted into the chamber? I had a bit of a time removing the two shells from the mag tube thinking it may have been the Remington shells I was using and then loaded it with Winchester but it still wouldn't cycle the shell directly into the chamber. The only way I could shoot was loading a shell directly into the chamber?

I've owned Remingtons a long time and can either load directly into the chamber or pull the bolt back and it will load from the mag tube into the chamber. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a known issue?

I brought the gun home, cleaned it thoroughly and tried to cycle shells through it but it did the same thing? I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be causing this and how to remedy it? Thank you in advance!

CG

Post subject: Re: Affinity FTF
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remove the shell stop and clean it, remove the magazine spring and follower and clean them and the magazine tube, blow out the trigger group and lightly lube and blow off the excess, reassemble and enjoy

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm not really familiar with the Franchi Affinity shotgun, but I do know that some (perhaps many) semi-auto shotguns are not designed to feed shells from the magazine to the chamber unless a round has actually been fired.

For example, on many (perhaps all) of the recent Beretta shotguns, they won't feed a shell from the magazine to the chamber unless a shell has actually been fired.

HOWEVER, there is one way that it will feed a shell to the chamber, and that is if you push in on the little black carrier release button at the front of the trigger guard at the rear of the magazine loading port.

Check to see if your gun has such a button. If it does, then that's what you have to push to get it to feed a round from the magazine to the chamber without actually firing a live round from the gun.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will do just that this weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoot well! Let us know how it works.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:33 am 

Ulysses has it correct. Your gun like all the other current auto loading shotguns under the Beretta umbrella has an automatic magazine cutoff. With an empty chamber and shells in the magazine. You can pull the bolt back until the cows come home with no rounds released magazine. There are few ways to release a round from the magazine. The first is to pull the trigger to dry fire the gun. The second is the press the cartridge release tap on the side of the trigger guard. the last would to be to flip the gun over, hold the carrier down, and press the cartridge stop to the side.

Unlike most other auto loaders that use their bolt locations (backwards movement). These release a round from the magazine as soon as the trigger is pulled.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:09 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks again for all the great info. I did clean everything but realized this gun operates different than our Remington's as Worc and Ulysses mentioned. Once we realized the mechanics of the Affinity, we didn't have any issues! Appreciate the help!

CG