It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MOLOT VEPR 12 shotgun with SGM drum mag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:32 am 
Field Grade

I'm a bit surprised that a forum dedicated to shotguns doesn't have a single mention of a VEPR12. To date, there are three occurrences of the word VEPR, and they're all rifles.

So... it is my honor to present the semi-auto, mag fed Russian shotgun.
Oh.... you can have a 25 round drum as well. :twisted:

Right out of the box:

Post subject: Re: MOLOT VEPR 12 shotgun with SGM drum mag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is a two prong reason why you've never seen a vepr-12 mentioned on here. The first reason is most everyone on here is a fudd, so unless the gun has walnut and blueing, it may as well not exist. Secondly, most everyone on here still equates the Russian stuff with the Cold War, so any mentions of combloc weapons will send the viewership of SGW recoiling in disgust.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:21 pm 
Field Grade

CantThinkofaUsername wrote:
There is a two prong reason why you've never seen a vepr-12 mentioned on here. The first reason is most everyone on here is a fudd, so unless the gun has walnut and blueing, it may as well not exist. Secondly, most everyone on here still equates the Russian stuff with the Cold War, so any mentions of combloc weapons will send the viewership of SGW recoiling in disgust.

Well... that's a shame. Neat gun and is a hoot to shoot.
Thanks for the explanation!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot skeet with a Saiga-12 once. It was impractical but oh so fun. I need one for my AK collection.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

Agreed. One of the biggest differences, is the V12 has the "last round bolt open", as the Saiga does not. The V12 also has a self regulating gas system. There are a couple other minor refinements, none of which I can't recall.
Fun and for HD is what I bought it for. Kinda like why some folks buy Corvettes.
Impracticable, but fun. Sure is neat when friends come over for some cheap blasting in the backyard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I believe the Vepr also has a 1.5mm receiver like the M70 and the Opap rifles, whereas the Saiga is 1mm. I'm sure it makes the Vepr a little hardier, but unless you are going to war with your shotgun and expect it to be dropped or ran over with a truck, I don't think the .5mm makes much difference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shotgunworld, for some reason, has a hunting/skeet-trap-sc focus mostly, that's why there are few mentiones of Saiga and Vepr here. That shouldn't discourage you from posting about these guns, of course.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
Shotgunworld, for some reason, has a hunting/skeet-trap-sc focus mostly, that's why there are few mentiones of Saiga and Vepr here. That shouldn't discourage you from posting about these guns, of course.

Absolutely. You just have to temper your expectations as far as how much feedback you get and how positive it will be due to the nature of the viewership.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

But what about choke tubes ?

Is it ported ?

Do you rest it on your toe ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:13 am 
Field Grade

No choke, not ported.
"My toe"???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer wrote:
Is it ported ?

Porting improves a shotguns shooting performance about as well as racing stripes on a Prius improves its speed. :D