CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal MP-153/Remington SPR-453 and it's durability?
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

A young guy at the shooting range told me that the M-153 will simply fall apart as it cannot take amount of rounds when hunting waterfowl or at the shooting range, he said that a few of his friends has shot their MP-153 into bits and pieces but he could not exactly explain what the problem was with the guns. To me he acted like some kind of a big mouth and I would like to know about your experience with the MP-153 as I’m not sure about if this young guy got any friends at all :wink:

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP-153/Remington SPR-453 and it's durability?
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:54 pm 
Field Grade

He is without a doubt crazy and has no idea what he is talking about the Spr453 (also the MP153) is one of the most reliable auto loaders on the market. They are not the prettiest or or best balanced guns out there but there are work horses and keep on fireing. I Have never ever had an issue with mine and i have shot it a ton. After they are broke in mine fires any size shell I have put through it. Never had a failure with this gun. I clean it with break free after every time I shoot it. I have owned every type of auto loader out there and for the money this is by far the best value hands down IMO
scott

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agreed. We have 7 of them for loaner guns at the club I shoot at. They have had thousands of rounds fired through them with only minor issues(pins that hold the bolt release in place walking out)which were easily fixed. Zero broken parts. We put 3000 rounds through them today at a corporate shooting event and they were going strong at the end of the shoot. We'll do it again on Friday. Wish we had a few more.

Kent

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

I don't own a Baikal. However, I'm thinking about buying one. I saw this video on youtube, which some of you may have seen. I don't think this gun is easy to break...at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GbVKwDfNU

Take care...happy shooting!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:31 am 
Presentation Grade

The 153 has been there for about 10 years. I know lots of people who have or had one, some of them are 100% happy, others have complaints. The complaints most often have to do with the weight and the looks of the gun, less frequently with unsatisfactory patterns and/or not shooting to POA. On rare occasions there are factory defects that cause jams. But I've never, ever, heard of a gun that would "fall apart after a couple of boxes of shells".

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

Huntexplorer-The "big mouth" at the range is just spouting garbage and obviously doesn't know anything about the gun. From my personal experience as well as many others, including a 50,000 round test done in russia (read my post a few down as it is already translated into english http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=69680)
, this gun has been nothing but amazing. I was frustrated at first that it wouldn't cycle target loads, but if you're only using it for hunting it will cycle any fowl hunting load out of the box pretty much guaranteed. Most of the break ins on the gun take 100 rounds, mine took 200 with some hand cycling of the action. But after all of that, without adjusting the gas setting from factory I can shoot ANY load. I can even shoot the 1 oz cheap wal-mart winchester loads!

I can tell you it's been one of the the best guns I've owned. When you take into account that I spent a little under $500 for mine camouflaged, it is EASILY the best gun purchase I've made.

My gun has been in many among the reed/in the water duck blinds, in the bottom of boats, it even was dunked deep down into the mud/water/weeds as a walking staff when I fell into a hole going after a downed bird and my waders started filling up with water, this gun hasn't quit on me and once it was broken in has never failed to fire/eject/cycle any load i've shot.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sartorius2424 wrote:
I don't own a Baikal. However, I'm thinking about buying one. I saw this video on youtube, which some of you may have seen. I don't think this gun is easy to break...at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GbVKwDfNU

Take care...happy shooting!

I never saw that before. Looks like a great testament to the gun.

Defense League, Inc
http://www.ccdl.us

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great to know that this guy is off the track as I believed when I heard his big mouth, tonight I was shooting together with another MP-153 guy, he has had his for 3 years now and has put plenty of rounds trough it.
Mine is cycling better and better after 250 1 oz steel target loads, tonight it only failed to load once, in my opinion the greatest gun you can get for the money