CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't decide
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 pm 
Field Grade

I am looking at two shotguns under $800 for sporting clays.
CZ Canvasback or the USSG MP310 sporting.
What is your opinion?

Post subject: Re: Can't decide
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

Never seen a CZ gun in person, but I really enjoy my 310 Sporting. It is pretty tight out of the box, but the first thing I did was clean the hell outta the trigger group/ receiver housing, cut 5 coils off the ejector springs, and while watching TV and night would just open and close it repeatedly. It really started to loosen up after a few hundred rounds, and now after 1,000+ rounds its smooth as glass.

A lot of people cant believe that its a $500 gun, especially with the quality of the wood(I refinished it), cast off stock, and ported barrels. I love the ability to turn off the ejectors and not have to worry about popping shells all over the place at the range.

One good thing about both of the guns is that you can get them from Gallery of Guns and take advantage of their lifetime warranty.

Baikal MP-153 Semi Auto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

i own both CZ and Baikal guns. i have a CZ Bobwhite and i had a CZ Uplander that i sold because it didn't fit me and bought a Remington SPR 310. i also have a MP220. having had guns from both manufacturers apart i think the CZ is probably a better finished gun. but the Baikals have a certain endurance about them because of their robust construction. CZ's tend to be on the light side and Baikals on the heavy side. because of the extra weight and the sporting option available from Baikal i would pick the 310 Sporting. i am not a big fan of ported barrels so i would probably go with a basic 310 and add options to it but the Sporting is a nice model. CZ's O/U's and Baikal's O/U's have a completely different fit so i would make sure you shoulder both before buying. CZ has fantastic customer service while Baikal's is adequate. for under $800 for a new O/U you have made 2 good choices and neither will disappoint you. however if you are thinking about serious clay shooting (3-5000 rds a summer) i would be remiss in not mentioning that a used serious clay gun should be able to be found in the $800-1000 range. i shoot about 3000 rds a year but that is spread out over 3 guns so a gun that is good for 5000 rds before it has a problem is 5-7 yrs for me. hence my judgement of gun quality is based on that standard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

I would love to hold the guns before buying. But around here if is not a B gun, P gun or a K gun, you can't find any on the shelf. Which one fits more like a Browing 625 in your opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

if i can find a 625 this weekend to try i will let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm 
Field Grade

My friend has a Citori field. Not sure if that is a 625, but I think the Baikal has a bit more drop to the stock, not much, maybe 1/2" at comb and heel. His does not have the cast off stock either so that may have thrown me off as well.

Baikal MP-153 Semi Auto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 am 
Utility Grade

You appear to be in the same situation that I was in a few months ago. I had been shooting with friends and relatives and had the opportunity to try out a variety of firearms shooting clays. I tried out various models on the range and did the best shooting with an old Ithica autoloader, but my favorite one to shoot was a Winchester 101 o/u.

I started researching which one to buy for my first shotgun and budgeted for a simple. pump-action gun, knowing that I would not want to spend $1200+ on a new Winchester 101 for my first shotgun. I increased my savings over time and budgeted for the Winchester 101 anyways. Further research turned me on to the Baikal MP 310 from USG.

In the meantime, I found a great deal on a used, never been used, Remington 870 and also ordered the Baikal at the same time. I had read the owners manuals for both several times over before picking them up. I already knew from research and reading the blogs that the Baikal would be a bit rough out of the box. Once I received it, I polished all the rough edges, thouroughly cleaned it, and ordered a replacment set of ejector springs to cut down, which everyone on the blogs seems to be doing. Turns out there was no need. Now I have the extra parts on hand. After some breaking in, it works just fine and throws the spent hulls about ten feet.

Going out for the first time by myself to try the Baikal I was anxious and nervous. I was throwing clay targets by myself with a Trius 1. I hit my first seven shots throwing singles. I started trying doubles and on the third try I hit both. I switched to the 870 and it was like stepping out of a Cadillac and getting into a pickup truck. (Not that there's anything worng with the 870).

Budgeting for the Winchester 101, I wound up with the Baikal, the Remington 870, and I spent the leftover cash on a Mossberg 500 field gun and a variety of choke tubes and accessories for all within budget.

Bottom line: The Baikal is an awesome choice. It's my baby. Just know it and learn it and it will serve you well forever. (I'm not dissing the Winchester 101. I still hope to own one some day. It's darn pretty, but my Baikal will do just fine for now.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I can't stand ported barrels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 870 and the 310 are both trucks. It's just that the 310 is a 3/4 ton! Both are workhorses that should last throught a lot of shooting. CZs are good hunting guns, but don't seem to hold up to heavy sporting use. Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 pm 
Utility Grade

go for baikal,its a great gun,i have one for 3 years now and still to face a single problem!