CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MP 153 Gas Adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

I just picked up my 3rd mp 153. My first 2 have been flawless, break em in with Heavy loads, dont touch the gas adjustment, and they shoot everything from 1oz loads to heavy 3.5 steel loads. Well this new one has been great however it seems to not like one particular 3.5 load. It will shoot 2.75, 3" and most 3.5 loads. THe load Im having trouble with is a 3.5 Fiocchi steel reload, which is my best patterning load out of the gun. The bolt is slamming back (Locking with shells in the magazine) but not going forward, does not do it all the time but most. Seems like a gas issue I think. The weird thing is this is a mild 3.5 load comparitively speaking. SO my question is can I just slightly move the gas adjustment, or do I need to move it two turns like the manual says. Just curious thanks
scott

Post subject: Re: MP 153 Gas Adjustment
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am 
Utility Grade

The person who owned my baikal before me must have adjusted the gas nut inward to shoot light loads better. My gun locked back on 3" black cloud. I ended up adjusting the gas 1/4 turn at a time to find where "factory" should be. There's no harm in doing this in small increments, just keep track of how much you've turned it (this is best done by marking the gas nut with a lead pencil). My advice is turn it out 1/4 turn and try the heavy load. If it still locks back, keep going 1/4 at a time until it doesn't. At this point try a light load. If both are cycling, then you're good. However to save wear and tear on the gun, I'd try for maybe one more 1/4 turn out so the heavy loads aren't beating the gun too badly. A little adjustment can go a long way, so don't get too crazy and remember which settings work for which loads. My lightest is 1 1/8 oz federal for trap, so you may want to shy away from the 1 oz loads if you want a gun that'll cycle most shells without uneccessary abuse to the gun.