It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IJ27E chokes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 am 
Utility Grade

I've just bought my first Baikal O/U and was wondering if its OK to have the chokes bored out to 1/4 and 1/2 rather than the Full and 3/4 it came with. I havn't owned a gun with chromed bores before and wasn't sure if it would damage it in any way. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Post subject: Re: IJ27E chokes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:06 am 
Field Grade

Hello!
AFAIK does reaming the chokes only affect the chrome lining in that area. So why don't you show this gun to a knowledgeable gunsmith and ask him for his oppinion?

Best regards
Mathi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:32 am 
Field Grade

Hmmm,
no response whatsoever?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:17 am 
Utility Grade

I too thought there may be more information out there. My local gunsmith is a decent fellow,,I'm just not convinced that he has done this particular work before and would rather be sure that its possible before entrusting the gun to him. Good smiths seem to be thin on the ground !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:52 am 
Field Grade

Well,

there are a lot of good smiths in UK which are specialized in shotguns and the Baikals are not rare in England. Maybe not not in your neighborhood.
I think if reaming the fixed chokes in the bbls to a larger constriction will be not very complicated. Vice versa is it impossible but grinding off some material is no problem. The bbl walls are thick enough but everything inside is chromes and this makes it a bit harder to ream. The steel in the reamed area is after it not longer coated but pure steel. So if a smithi has the tools he can do it.
If I where in your position and want to be sure I would ask other shotgun smiths in the UK for their oppinion.
Although here are a lot of knowledgeable folks and I wonder if noboby responded to your question. So I would suggest to place your quest in the general or/and in the gunsmithing section of this forum because not everybody reads this section.

Best regards
Mathi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

I think you have a good question . Possible that you could get screw in chokes installed for not much more .Keep asking questions until you are comfortable with the answer. Also cost is probably a BIG factor (that's why you got a great gun for a good price ) chip

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:23 am 
Utility Grade

I've been using the Baikal for the past few weeks and managed to shoot 1 fox,,4 rabbits and 135 pigeons over stubble fields. I see no reason to alter the gun in any way now, apart from successfully removing the auto safety. The tight chokes seem to suit my style of shooting so they can stay just as they are. Delighted with my Russian gun !!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:42 pm 
Field Grade

whow you're burning some powder.