It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vostok MU-7
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hello, I initially posted this in the General forum but then saw this dedicated forum to Russian guns and re-posted here.

I am looking for some info on a VOSTOK MU-7 shotgun.

12ga, 29.5" barrels, ejectors. It also has a 2 piece for-end. Looks like a higher grade shotgun compared to the Russian guns we see frequently.

Any info will be appreciated? How does it compare to a Beretta 687?

Also any info on the action will be helpful. When the action is open a small bolt sticks out on the side of the action which goes back flush when closed. Is it Russian version of a Greener cross-bolt?

Thanks

Last edited by oberndorf on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Vostok MU-7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:45 am 
Presentation Grade

This was made by TsKIB, Russia's best maker, provider of Olympics-winning guns for Soviet athletes and best guns for Khruschev and Brezhnev's like. MTs7 is a handmade triggerplate action Woodward type shotgun, one of the best if not the best O/U models made by TsKIB. It does not compare with Beretta 687 - you simply can't compare hand-made exclusive gun and a machine-made mass-market gun.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Its awsome looking lovely shotgun.

12Ga enthusiast...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 am 
Field Grade

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
This was made by TsKIB, Russia's best maker, provider of Olympics-winning guns for Soviet athletes and best guns for Khruschev and Brezhnev's like. MTs7 is a handmade triggerplate action Woodward type shotgun, one of the best if not the best O/U models made by TsKIB. It does not compare with Beretta 687 - you simply can't compare hand-made exclusive gun and a machine-made mass-market gun.

Thank you very much for the info and really appreciate the help.

Are you sure this is MTS 7? It says MU -7 12

I don't know much about Russian guns as this is my only only Russian Gun. I am in Canada and the only Russian guns that we see here are the Baikal guns ($600-$800 range) which are nice guns but are not in the same league as this Gun. This is the first one l have seen with this kind of quality.

When I bought this gun, the asking price was way more than a new Beretta but the workmanship was so exquisite that I had to have it. At that time I thought the seller was mistaken and I was sure it was German or Austrian because of the engraving style.

Are these common in Russia? Do they still make them?

Kind regards and thank you once again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

MU vs MTs is a question of the Latin vs Cyrillic alphabeths. The cyrillic letter Ц looks like Latin U, but sounds like "ts".

Here's where you can read up on TsKIB https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/tag/tskib/ Check out the post about TsKIB double rifles especially ,because MTs7 was a double rifle action originally. That'll answer most of your q-s, except the one about the little bolt sticking out of the action. This, as you've guessed correctly, is the end of the locking element that works on Greener's crossbolt mechanical principle (but is a forked thing that engages the under lugs).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:06 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Aleksei. Looked at your website and there is a wealth of information about Russian firearms there.

Have you published your book on Russian guns? If yes is it for sale?

My original question about comparison with Beretta was in regards to holding up for heavy shooting like trap / skeet. Now that you have mentioned that action was originally designed to support rifle cartridges also, I need not worry.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you.
I'm hoping the book will be published this year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Very interesting articles there.....I concur regards the exports of Russian shotguns,the Baikals (especially the IJ-27 and IJ-18) are very common in NZ they have been since at least the early 1970's,where as the Toz branded guns are not near as often encountered....if I had to guess I would say there would be at least 50 Baikal shotguns for every Toz shotgun encountered here.Oddly Toz branded .22 rifles are quite common here though,the Toz 17 was imported in decent numbers and are very common on the used market.But not their shotguns.