It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MP-153 Clay shooting
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:30 am 
Utility Grade

Hi all,

Not sure if I should be asking here or under clay forum, but here goes...

I will use 12/89 Baikal MP-153 with 24" barrel for shooting clays.
Which choke would be best to use? Clay distance is about 75 yards before they start falling down.

I have only one lead choke: F-Lead.
The rest are for steel: F-Steel, M-Steel, IC-Steel, XF-Steel.

I shoot only 7/8 oz, lead.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: MP-153 Clay shooting
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot an MP-153 with a 26" barrel for clays, no problem. Your 24" barrel won't be much of a handicap at all, so just go shoot and don't worry about that part.

As for the choke, you can use your steel rated chokes for lead shot with no problem. Depending on the average target distance and your confidence level, I'd consider using a light mod or mod choke.

Good luck and safe shooting.

PM or contact sales@hollywoodoptical.com for details

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you Trapperjohn01!

Yesterday I went clay shooting with F-Steel choke on and shot 7/25. Don't know if this is OK for a beginner, but it was rather windy and I had no idea where my shots were going. Tracking the wad from the shells did not help me. The owner was not there so could not ask about the chokes and where to aim.

I read that F-Steel choke corresponds to M-Lead when shooting lead pellets. Is this true?
Wanted to try out the M-Steel one today but the range was closed. :(

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

CrvenaZastava wrote:
Thank you Trapperjohn01!

Yesterday I went clay shooting with F-Steel choke on and shot 7/25. Don't know if this is OK for a beginner, but it was rather windy and I had no idea where my shots were going. Tracking the wad from the shells did not help me. The owner was not there so could not ask about the chokes and where to aim.

I read that F-Steel choke corresponds to M-Lead when shooting lead pellets. Is this true?
Wanted to try out the M-Steel one today but the range was closed. :(

I think either someone is trolling with this post, or has a terrible misunderstanding of chokes. Would someone please take initiative to explain this to him?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 am 
Utility Grade

No need for tone like that. I am not a troll. I am just new to all this and was simply asking from some experienced member to confirm the info I found on the internet. Anyway, I will not be posting here anymore. Thanks to the people who helped me out so far. Bye guys and safe shooting.