It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Baikal / SPR O/U, SxS,Single shot,& Pump Picture Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 am 
Field Grade

I have started a little family of MP-18's...
This is my first one; I chopped the barrel to just over 18" and added a set of UTG ghost ring sights made for shotguns, mounted the rear to a weaver rail that I soldered to the chamber and the front just clamps into the barrel. They work like a charm! I may end up taking them off though because I recently started using the original synthetic stock to make some sort of pistol grip just for fun. I thought it would work as a hilarious ultralight range toy. May still leave the sight on though... I also added the wood furniture after the fact and I have since taken the rear stock which is actually from a Remington Spartan series Baikal and put it in my unadulterated 28" Baikal MP-18 that I plan on using for hunting/trap once I get a rib/polychoke installed at polychoke (gun to be pictured later in post). I felt the cast off on the stock was better suited for a sporting shotgun than a slug gun.

Next up isn't a shotgun but is it a Baikal single shot MP-18 So it does fit the bill and is my favorite centerfield rifle that I own. Its stayed in my collection even though 3 AR15's have come and gone... They bore me. This guy shoots .5 MOA 3 shot groups consistently with lightweight varmint ammunition and I have been nailing steel out to 600 yards no problem. I even smacked a few dollar store dinner plates at 1003 yards in the desert with it earlier this year. That was hoot. I actually named this rifle because of how much work I had to put into getting the sights/sight posts off, I'll make another thread on that but to make a long story short, I feel some "drunken Russian" designed this gun and decided to weld threaded sight posts directly to the barrel to attatch the sight bases to rather than using dovetails because of the hammer forging process/outer spiraling taper... Darned vodka... I had to file them down flush to the barrel... I also broke the original sling mount out of the stock just carrying it from my truck to my shooting spot so I decided to stock with the theme of the "drunken Russian" and went to home depot and bought some heavy duty U hangers with bolts along with some threaded/locking C clamps to tie my own square braid parachorde sling for the rifle. I prefer this square braid because they seem to give a bit more cushion compared to all the "tacticool" types of parachorde braided slings. It actually turned out great and it true red neck fashion, is probably 10X stronger than any other sling swivel stud since I also epoxied them into the stock/ for end AFTER blotting them in as tight as they could safely be... I also have her a couple coats of Forrest green paint to give her some corrosion resistance since I live by the ocean.

Lastly here's the one I am going to work on and customize next to use as my upland game/waterfowl/trap/informal clay shooting gun...
Its my mostly unmodified Baikal MP-18 in 12ga with a Remington Spartan series stock on it. Not a big fan of the look, and I may still end up buying a wood for end for it after I get my next paycheck, but for the moment I'm more worried about getting it sent off to polychoke to get a rib and polychoke installed. I'm also debating on weather or not I want a vented choke. The only other concern I have for this shotgun is getting a good quality buttpad. I have bony shoulders and even with how well I handle the recoil with these lightweight single shots compared to my heavier pump guns that I have owned in the past, it is just too much having a wood buttplate.

The only other concern I have for this shotgun is getting a good quality buttpad. I have bony shoulders and even with how well I handle the recoil with these lightweight single shots compared to my heavier pump guns that I have owned in the past, it is just too much having a wood buttplate. Does anybody make a prefit recoil pad for the Spartan series stock? I heard rumors that the recoil pass for the wood stock 870's would fit but I can't find any info to verify that claim..

Well that's my not so big, but very well loved and invested in family of 3 Baikal MP-18's. It will most likely keep growing as I manage to find more of the 12he models floating around my area... They make for very fun projects at their price point. I would also love to find a 7.62x39 or a 7.62x54r rifle if possible someday...

Post subject: Re: Baikal / SPR O/U, SxS,Single shot,& Pump Picture Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Ah, another MP-18 nut. ;) A great gun at any price, btw. I've customized a couple for turkeys and recently picked up another 20 and a .410 for just because. For the front swivel stud mount, no drilling is needed. Uncle Mike's Sling Swivel Stud 115B set is threaded for the front screw of the forend latch assembly. Just replace the screw with the stud. See Reply 63 page 5 of this thread at: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/t ... 715.0.html
Gil

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6