It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310x
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 pm 
Limited Edition

(was Baikal O/U to Beretta in 10mins for $10 (well nearly!))

If your IZH-27 or SPR310 is like mine was, you need quite a bit of strength when closing the gun to overcome the ejector/extractor springs once the lugs on the extractors (2 & 3) engage the slots on the inside of the receiver. I didn't particularly mind this except the force required to overcome was causing the gun to close quite hard. I don't know if that's a good thing or not long term. After this 20minute mod it is soooo much easier to close.

Tools required: small pair vice grips (ideally) or pliers, secure method of holding the barrels - you will be pushing the extractors in against the springs and this is a two handed job. Cleaner and lube. Dremel cutoff wheel (ideally) or some method of trimming the spring.

I obtained two spare ejector springs (4) from EAA ((321)-639-1432)), stored the originals and then trimmed 4 coils of of each of the new ones and installed - checked there was still plenty of springiness on the ejectors.

What a difference! The gun now doesn't need so much effort to close and the ejectors (when selected) still throw the spent shells 12ft (as opposed to closer to 20ft before!)

I'm a very happy bunny.

In case you missed my previous post on this, to remove the ejectors is very easy - securely wrap/clamp the barrels (I used a workmate), push the ejector (3 or 2 in the diagram) fully in and pull the bit nearest the muzzle slightly away from the barrel block - I used a mini vise-grip clamped onto the little nubbly at the pointed end of the ejector. The ejector is actually quite springy. When you gently release the pressure the ejector end comes back outside the groove. Easy. Remove the spring (4) and plunger (5). Cut your spare spring to suit (4coils on mine) insert the plunger (5) into the spring, replace the two in the hole and slide the extractor (3 or 2) back into it's groove. A bit of lube beforehand would be good. Thanks to Yeti and Quickshot for help on this part.

Voila - instant Beretta (well maybe :) )
[/img]

Now enjoy and cease taking the Aleve/Ibuprofens for those wrists!

Last edited by Patrick Randall on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: re: Baikal O/U to Beretta in 10mins for $10 (well nearly!)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the DIY info, Pat. I think I may do this mod come winter. (I'll send for the new springs in the meantime!)

Click Me For Coyote Hunting

Post subject: Re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310S
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Patrick Randall wrote:
...then trimmed 4 coils of of each of the new ones and installed - checked there was still plenty of springiness on the ejectors

Today I trimmed another two coils off the springs making 6 in all. Shuts *very* smoothly now. :)

Post subject: re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310S
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wanted you to know I did the mod over the weekend. Took off 6 coils on each spring. MUCH easier to close now and the ejectors don't throw the empties 10 feet over my shoulder. In fact only about 3 feet now. Much more tame. Oh, used my trusty Dremel to cut the spring. Like butter.

Easy mod to do, took all of 15 minutes from start to clean up. And now I have an extra set of springs (that I really didn't need to get) but you never know. I may not like my partner some day and I'll put the heavy new springs back in and clock him in the head every time I eject... :twisted:

Thanks again for a great mod. I think this one could easily be a sticky if it not already is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:37 pm 
Field Grade

Since Baikal may have already addressed this problem, or may in the future, would someone list how many coils they're leaving after trimming? If Baikal recognizes and addresses this issue, we may have folks cutting 4 or 6 coils off springs that are already on the short side.

Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:56 pm 
Limited Edition

You can't count the coils and say x or y will give you what you want. Springs differ even with the same part numbers. The replacements (really spares) I got were shorter than the originals. I've seen other same model guns have different gauge wire in their springs!

My advice is to just take a couple off at a time (or go for the 4 at once straight away if you have spares to fall back on).

This job really is such a simple thing to do, I would encourage you to chop and try, chop and try till you're happy.

Also, check them in eject mode too (if that's important to you). You will still want them to be thrown well out of the way and it's possible to weaken the springs too much that the ejection will suffer. Takes 2 mins again right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:08 am 
Field Grade

Well, I did it! I trimmed both springs and the wife's new IZH-27EM-1C closes much easier. I could probably trim them down a bit more, but I didn't have a spare set on-hand (should I go over-board), and I want to give her a chance to break-in this yet-unfired gun a little before I cut them down too much. I cut four coils off each spring, but then found that the upper ejector spring was a bit stiffer, so I cut a fifth coil from that spring, and it seemed to even them up a bit better.

I've seen lots of references to how easy it is to disable the automatic safety on the IZH-27's, but I haven't found a link describing just how to do that. Can someone point me to the appropriate thread/post/link?

Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Is the dremel over-kill for this job? I would think a nice pair of wire-snips would do the job, like these.

Image or Image

Post subject: Re: re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310S
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:31 am 
Limited Edition

BWolfe wrote:
Is the dremel over-kill for this job? I would think a nice pair of wire-snips would do the job, like these.

As in my original post: "...Dremel cutoff wheel (ideally) or some method of trimming the spring." - the nice thing about the little dremel cutoff wheels is they give a nice flat face to the cut spring. Obviously wire cutters aren't so precise so the load bearing end of the coil puts a slight sideways component into the spring. Call me a bit fussy :)

I'm sure any method you are happy with will do fine. Another guy has already posted his use of wire cutters. This little fix is very low-tech :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Patrick Randall wrote:
BWolfe wrote:

As in my original post: "...Dremel cutoff wheel (ideally) or some method of trimming the spring." - the nice thing about the little dremel cutoff wheels is they give a nice flat face to the cut spring. Obviously wire cutters aren't so precise so the load bearing end of the coil puts a slight sideways component into the spring. Call me a bit fussy :)

I'm sure any method you are happy with will do fine. Another guy has already posted his use of wire cutters. This little fix is very low-tech :)
Very good, Missed the part about the wire cutters.

I'd probably be the guy trying to do it without tools..... bending it back and forth until it breaks. haha. Or maybe chewing it off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:51 am 
Field Grade

Those springs are awfully hard tempered steel. The Dremel makes quick work of them, and getting a pair of snips in-between two coils far enough to avoid breaking the tips of them off is one of those excercises that leads to visions of punctured fingers. I'm sure it has and can be done, but...

Me? I'd treat this as an excuse to go buy a new tool. Get a Dremel, and you'll find other uses for it in the future.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:02 am 
Limited Edition

tra74 wrote:
I've seen lots of references to how easy it is to disable the automatic safety on the IZH-27's, but I haven't found a link describing just how to do that. Can someone point me to the appropriate thread/post/link?

Rick,
Krispy wrote some excellent detailed instructions and annotated a pic to help. I put that on my website at http://www.geocities.com/randallpatrickc/sprwork.html
(Limited bandwidth so may be unavailable periodically)

Or you can use the search facility on auto AND safety for countless posts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:15 am 
Tournament Grade

tra74 wrote:
Those springs are awfully hard tempered steel. The Dremel makes quick work of them, and getting a pair of snips in-between two coils far enough to avoid breaking the tips of them off is one of those excercises that leads to visions of punctured fingers. I'm sure it has and can be done, but...

Me? I'd treat this as an excuse to go buy a new tool. Get a Dremel, and you'll find other uses for it in the future.

Rick

I'm with you on this one. At first I had the wire cutters out, looking just like the pair in the above pictures. I didn't like how they fit to the spring and trying to get in between the coils with them proved difficult at best. Out came my trusty Dremel. A fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel makes the coils cut like butter.

If there is one tool anyone buys this year it should be a Dremel. I recommend the ones that come as a kit with different bits thrown in. This is one tool you'll find so many uses for you'll wonder how you did with out one. I got one years ago for a hobby and I've used mine more for other things than the hobby! I can honestly say I've used that Dremel at least once every two weeks for something or another. So many uses. You can even engrave with it given the right bit(s) and a steady hand. Not saying you couldn't use something else to cut the springs, but the Dremel is so easy and fast not to mention it'll clean up a sharp edge if left over from a cut. OK, I'll get off my Dremel soap box now.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I love my dremel, it's actually a Black & Decker brand but it does the same thing. I recommend a multi-speed one, low speed for cutting pastics (helps avoid melted plastic slag) and high speeds for metal and somewhere inbetween for wood (avoids burning the wood)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:55 am 
Limited Edition

Patrick,
Very informative and well done page! Keep up the good work. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

Patrick Randall wrote:
Krispy wrote some excellent detailed instructions and annotated a pic to help. I put that on my website at http://www.geocities.com/randallpatrickc/sprwork.html
(Limited bandwidth so may be unavailable periodically)

Patrick,

Thanks for the link and for compiling that information. I was very concerned about purchasing such a cheap gun for my wife to use, but the more I read the happier I am with this purchase. Other than two WWII Asaki's, this is my first non-USA or non-Euro brand gun. The internals are definitely inferior to any other gun I own, but if it works... it works!

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:31 am 
Utility Grade

OK Patrick and others. The new springs have arrived and I'm going in! I think I'll do a complete exploratory while I'm in there. See you in the recovery room.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, Removing the ejectors is a piece of cake. I needed no tools. I carefully locked the barrels in a vise, using a piece of leather between the vise jaws and the barrel and applying only minimal pressure. While holding the ejector all the way back into it's locked position, I put my finger on the muzzle end of the ejector and gently pulled it out, away from the barrel and slowly released my hold on the chamber end of the ejector and let the spring pressure pushed the ejector out and when it cleared it's dove tail slot, it released and came out completely.

I pulled the rod and spring from the hole. Shortened the springs and cleaned the slots and ejector and simply put it back in, sliding the dove tail into place and pushing it all the way back in untill the muzzle end clicks into place. :D

Mike Wilson
Pinson, Alabama

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:42 pm 
Limited Edition

countyman wrote:
pushing it all the way back in untill the muzzle end clicks into place. :D

..put away your Aleves/Ibuprofen/Aspirin/wrist braces?
hope so :) Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Patrick Randall wrote:
countyman wrote:
pushing it all the way back in untill the muzzle end clicks into place. :D

..put away your Aleves/Ibuprofen/Aspirin/wrist braces?
hope so :) Enjoy.

That's funny, I was all set for disaster too and found it was one of the easiest mods I ever did to a gun.