It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310S
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:43 am 
Field Grade

I've finally done it too. I didn't order a separate set of springs. I just chopped 3 coils from my original springs.

I didn't use any tools except to cut the coils with a wire cutter. Since I have extended chokes, I just pointed the barrel on the floor and pushed straight down on the extractors, pulled out the extractor front tip and released the extractor tension and the whole assembly came out.

Now I can actually close the action from the receiver versus slamming on the fore end.

Next, refinishing with Tru Oil in the spring.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Just gathered my courage and made the mod. Was just as easy as advertised. Didn't order spares and took 5 coils off with the Dremel. I almost always leave my gun on extract rather than eject, so I'm not too concerned about whether the eject may be too light. And, of course, it is MUCH easier to close.

One thing that occurred to me AFTER everything was back together, was that I possibly should have put a little marine grease in that channel before reassembly. Any opinions on that?

Thanks for the help and advice from all the folks on the board. This mod will certainly make the gun more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:11 pm 
Limited Edition

I stoned the channel and the ejector bars to smooth things up, then used a little Tetra grease on all the parts. I polished the bores for the springs with a kratex bit, cleaned them well, and lubed them up with the same.
I would think those surfaces need a little lube, due to the large amount of metal to metal contact. A little rem-oil would suffice till you take it apart again. Just my opinion....

Post subject: re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310x
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 am 
Field Grade

Hi all, I just got myself a spr310 and after cleaning and a few drops of grease it is a very smooth opening and closing gun. I think they fixed the spring issues they were having.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:10 pm 
Field Grade

HI Guys,

I did my springs 2 weeks ago when I was refinishing my wood. I snipped 2 coils and it was still pretty tight so I snipped 2 more.

Today I shot it at the range and the first two hulls didn't eject. Talk about a nervous guy. I thought I had put it on extract mode (because I was considering it). Every one from there after shot just the right distance (just over my shoulder) and the gun was a lot better to close. If it hadn't been 20 degrees outside it might have been even smoother. I still wouldn't mind taking another coil out, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks for the tip,
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I have trimmed a total of 7 coils on mine 12G and the ejector still works with gusto. Of course, I trimmed 2 at a time...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Patrick,
Well done!
I remember the discussion about the ejector removal but didn't realize the goal. Nice documentation, and look how many other folks used your tip!

BT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:37 am 
Field Grade

Well, the title of this thread is a bit misleading. Where does the $10 come in? Oh, and it only took me 15 minutes. :lol:

Wow, what a difference! From Baikal to Beretta is about right. Of course now I'll have to renew my gym membership to maintain my workouts.

Mr. Patrick Randall, thanks a bunch for this tip :idea: . This "cheap" shotgun is quickly becoming my favorite {P^ .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just did mine...

Tools needed:
    - Small synthetic hammer
    - Needle nose pliers w/ built in wire cutters
Process:
    - Sat on couch, held barrels between knees.
    - Pushed down on extractor with handle of hammer (much easier than using hands).
    - Carefully pulled tip of extractor out and slowly released pressure on hammer handle.
    - Cut 5 coils off springs.
    - Cleaned/re-oiled components.
    - Re-assemble.

I wouldn't call mine Beretta smooth but it definitely is better than stock. There is absolutely no need for a dremel. The pliers I used is an old pair that has seen a lot of use. Springs cut extremely easily. Even without the springs in my gun action is pretty stiff. I have about 500 rounds through it so I'm sure it's still breaking in.

I tested the ejectors with a pair of fired hulls and they get tossed about 3 feet behind me. I don't use the ejectors as I save my hulls, but that was just a gauge to see how things were working.

Overall, it was well worth the 10 minutes as I was cleaning the gun anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:21 pm 
Field Grade

If I remove the springs and do not replace them will the extractors still slide out disengaging the shell from the chamber when the gun is open so I can pull the shells by hand? I shoot trap and I reload so I do not want to chase shells all over the place. I turned the screws the manual refers to and they still shoot out.

Dink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:06 pm 
Utility Grade

3 coils clipped job done :D
much better

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:24 pm 
Utility Grade

:D
Ladies /Gentlemen:
Hey, thanks for the great tip on the the extractor coil surgery technique... I love the results! It was the best 15 minutes I have spent on this gun. My SPR310 12 ga. was easy to open, but I still felt the extractor spring resistance on closing her up. I love this gun ($399 Dick's special last year) and feel I got a beauty. Good wood to metal fit, good checkering, and great performance. I have about 800 rounds through it without a glitch so far.
Purchased a couple of extra chokes (Carlson's brand through the Cabela's catalogue) for a good price. I usually use a skeet and an IC in mine.
I maintain the wood with Kiwi's paste wax shoe polish (Cordovan tint) with excellent results. It really embellishes the wood color and without build up.
Thanks again for the useful information, and good shooting!
Spartanized in Michigan

Post subject: Re: re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310x
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

skipper_IV wrote:
:D
Ladies /Gentlemen:
Hey, thanks for the great tip on the the extractor coil surgery technique... I love the results! It was the best 15 minutes I have spent on this gun. My SPR310 12 ga. was easy to open, but I still felt the extractor spring resistance on closing her up. I love this gun ($399 Dick's special last year) and feel I got a beauty. Good wood to metal fit, good checkering, and great performance. I have about 800 rounds through it without a glitch so far.
Purchased a couple of extra chokes (Carlson's brand through the Cabela's catalogue) for a good price. I usually use a skeet and an IC in mine.
I maintain the wood with Kiwi's paste wax shoe polish (Cordovan tint) with excellent results. It really embellishes the wood color and without build up.
Thanks again for the useful information, and good shooting!
Spartanized in Michigan

I just bought my 310 last month. I like the idea of the shoe polish if it doesn't make is slippery. How long have you been using it? I haven't made this mod yet, I don't mind the force right now to close though I may change my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

Mine is a little hard to close. I guess I'll try the mod. If I screw up I can always buy new springs.

Post subject: Re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310x
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well after a 4 week search I finally found and purchased a new Remington SPR 310 S. Picked it up about 3 pm on 4/3/09. Beautiful wood with typical Russian fit and finish but then I didn't buy a Perazzi for $550 landed either. Got it home, put it togather and aftre about 15 minutes of open and close with both hands, my knee and hip, knew this was not going to work. Then I remembered your post and went on line to re read.

Saturday A.M. I warmed up the garage (it a balmy 36, 40 mph wind, rain, sleet & snow today in Up State, NY), then out to try my luck.
Not having the O/U 24 hours yet, it took several glasses of OJ to bolster my courage. To compliment: your directions made it a piece of cake. Gently locked it in the vice with wood jaw inserts, started with the needle point vice grips but both sides lifted out with no problem by hand. One thing to consider, put both springs side by side "before you cut". My upper barrel spring was 1 1/2 coils longer than the lower. I cut both to the same length, -4 & 2 1/2 coils (my Dremel tool is a $20 Harbor Freight knock off but it did the job well). Blasted the receiver and breach with carb. cleaner (got out a lot of crud, filings and dirt), air gun, re lubricated and re assembled. It is better but not quite there yet. After I run 100 rounds through it tomorrow we'll see if another 2 coil chop is needed.

I followed your link to the auto safety modification page. That took a lot more OJ but it had to go. It went well also but the nice thing about being older is knowing when to "back off" and think things through. Better eye sight would help a bit also cause that spring, washer and pin one the end of the safety button got "very small" after taking it off. And Yes the cupped portion of the washer does go down over the retaining pin on the safety button. So all in all a great way to spend a dreary Saturday afternoon. I also salvaged that nasty front sight on both my SPR 100 and the 310 S. Takes about 10 minutes and what a difference.

Post subject: Re: re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310x
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 am 
Limited Edition

dink74 wrote:
If I remove the springs and do not replace them will the extractors still slide out disengaging the shell from the chamber when the gun is open so I can pull the shells by hand? I shoot trap and I reload so I do not want to chase shells all over the place. I turned the screws the manual refers to and they still shoot out.

Dink

You need a spring, they will lift w/o one but the extractor can then drop back again. In which case the action will not close.

You could get by with drastically weakened springs, but more likely you just need to fiddle with those two screws a bit more and you'll get it to work properly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 am 
Field Grade

I just received a replacement 310s from EAA last week April 21st after sending my blown up 310s in on Jan 10th. This is a brand new gun from Baikal and damn is it tight. I had to break it open over my knee after assembly and it took a lot of effort to close again.

I have so far taken 6 coils off the springs and I also mirror polished the the 2 faces of the hinge the the hook that drop down in the frame. I also removed the auto safety bar and removed the hammers and polished the contact surfaces on those and the two rods that run through the frame. Now it is smooth as butter. I thumb the lever and it falls open and fire the spent shells over my shoulder a good 10 ft. and it closes with ease just like a Perazzi does. not to much effort for a huge payoff. Shame the factory can't spend 5 more minutes with the parts before final assembly to make it more like this out of the box.

Dink

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:35 pm 
Field Grade

I got a Spartan 310 tonight, in 20 guage. I had the opertunity to get a Remington Priemier for $1,000 after trade-in, but after I considered that the gun would mostly be used by my girl friend and her son for sporting clays and by my hunter education students, I decided that I'd rather put a $400 gun in the hands of teenagers than I would a $1,500 one.
I got the cosmoline cleaned off and oiled the metal. It was so tight the release lever wouldn't go back to center. I read this post carefully, then whacked off 3 coils on each spring with my dremel. It's still a little stiff, but no worse than my Browning XS Skeet. I figure it's about where a brand new gun should be as far as resistance on opening and closing

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Dink........blown up 310s??
What happened??

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:44 am 
Field Grade

s47nxt wrote:
Dink........blown up 310s??
What happened??

Choke tube folded over on itself and next round blew end of barrel open. Lucky I was just shooting trap with lite 1 oz. loads but they were enough to do the damage. Shipped it down to EAA and they said ouch our fault and ordered me a brand new gun.

Dink

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next