It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easy 10$ 20minute improvement to closing SPR310x
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello fellow Baikal owners!

Have been a silent reader of Shotgun World for awhile now and am now a new member to the forum and the Baikal club, as I just picked up my new (to me), but slightly used 12 gauge IHZ 27 Sporting model yesterday!

I'm looking forward to performing these creature comfort mods asap but will pattern it and take it to the range as is first. I do have one nagging question that I think has been answered, but would like comfirmation to the fact...

What I'm wondering, once removing the auto safety, does or will the safety still operate manually?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 am 
Field Grade

sledman8002002 wrote:
Hello fellow Baikal owners!

Have been a silent reader of Shotgun World for awhile now and am now a new member to the forum and the Baikal club, as I just picked up my new (to me), but slightly used 12 gauge IHZ 27 Sporting model yesterday!

I'm looking forward to performing these creature comfort mods asap but will pattern it and take it to the range as is first. I do have one nagging question that I think has been answered, but would like comfirmation to the fact...

What I'm wondering, once removing the auto safety, does or will the safety still operate manually?

As long as all you remove is the little bar that pushes the safety, the safety will still work fine. You can actually just remove the stock and with a small hack saw blade you can cut the bar and remove it without taking the safety apart.

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Right on, thanks dink!

OK...lol, so I haven't shot it yet, but have pulled out the extracters and springs, (couldn't help myself). Lotta gunk certainly won't aid in the ease of operation either will it...

Now I see the previous owner has fiddeled with and burred the adjustment screws a little. What I'm now wondering if he has already cut the springs? I didn't count the coils, but I can tell you they measure at 2 7/8" for the bottom barrel and a hair under 2 15/16" for the upper, (sorry, I don't have my calipers here with me).
I don't suppose any of you took a measurement before you trimmed? Or perhaps have taken a measurement after you trimmed 4 or 6 coils? OR...those of you who ordered new springs could give me a measurement of those springs?

This is my first O/U and am really wanting to make it operate well with the tips you guys are sharing here. Well done all!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

So, would this mod also help the opening of my IZH-27, so that I don't have to break it over my knee after firing it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

shootisttx,

Yes, the spr310 spring modification will work on the izh-27. Pretty much the same gun. In fact, the barrel assembly on my spr310 is marked, "IZH-27EM".

I haven't been shooting my 310 this year due to some fascination with autoloaders, so now I think I'll take it to the range Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:43 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought my wife a SPR 310 in 20 for Christmas (and had to have one in 12 for me..."I don't know where that came from, Santa must have brought me mine!") and both are stiff-really stiff, like another poster said, the release doesn't even go to center, can only get it slightly off to the right...I assume it is supposed to be dead center when locked? Anyway, I can't wait to get home from this business trip this week to try this out. I ordered the guns from a friends shop, sight unseen, so I was getting a little worried about it until I read this thread. Anyone have any pictures/video/you tube link of the process? A gunsmith I ain't.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:05 pm 
Utility Grade

As you have probably seen from other posts, this is quite normal. It will come more and more to center with usage. My suggestions, I just mine about two months ago, perform the change to the ejector springs (remove four coils at first) then clean it, lube it and fire it. It will loosen up. Mine still has a ways to go but is much, much better than when I got it and continues to get better with use. I personally think it is a lot of gun for the money, but I am not an expert - just a happy owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 pm 
Utility Grade

The pics from Patricks 1st post come up as red x's. Is there another picture of this ?

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great info, Thanks!

I had some trouble with this at first but then... Presto.
I guess in my over active mechanical mind , I expected the extractors to come off from the side once I freed them up. Kept playing with it and eventually found that once the muzzle end is bent/flexed outward, the extractor is then free to slide out the front ( after a gentle nudge forward.) Ended up taking 5 coils off with my Dremel, cleaned everything and polished all faying surfaces with a fine stone. A quick lube and put it back together . Big difference! Still not as easy as a broken in Browning Clays gun but very manageable for overall use.

Now on to the auto safety!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

All I can say :

Ty Patrick!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 am 
Utility Grade

I found this video on how to cut down the springs. Thought it might be of interest to folks here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWGfHUl6XWc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 am 
Utility Grade

thank you PAT it was easy 10 mins modification.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well worth while. A little flitz /Mothers mag metal polish on the hinge pin for 50 or so cycles seemed to help mine allot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

What happened to the photos attached to this? Are they available anywhere on this site?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Perry Mason wrote:
What happened to the photos attached to this? Are they available anywhere on this site?

when you upload pics to image hosting site without making an account then they get removed after specific period e.g 30 days etc...

12Ga enthusiast...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just did this mod, and took out 6 loops of the spring with a dremel cut off wheel. I skipped the part where you buy replacement springs, and just took a chance. WOW, it really does help a lot.

Now, I have to figure out how to turn off the automatic safety.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:07 am 
Tournament Grade

ITO wrote:
Just did this mod, and took out 6 loops of the spring with a dremel cut off wheel. I skipped the part where you buy replacement springs, and just took a chance. WOW, it really does help a lot.

a rounded strip which is attached under the safety button and going into receiver just cut it and auto safety is OFF

12Ga enthusiast...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:

Do a search here. I believe I've posted the process before. Basickly , you remove the butt stock and then look for the twisted metal bar that runs between the sliding safety button and the rear face of the reciever. Cut that bar midway through the side of the reciever. (dremel with 3/4" cut of wheel works perfect here.) Once cut , the bar will fall out in your hand. No more auto safety ( so BE CAREFUL!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 pm 
Utility Grade

@Wee Hooker

will the manual safety still work after you cut the metal bar?

Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:05 pm 
Limited Edition

After getting my skeet scores up to 23 with this gun and the Bender videos I kind of lost interest and stopped shooting. I sold my reloader and supplies and thought I'd keep the SPR310S "just in case" but it's actually just sat in it's case (nicely lubed of course).

Now I'm thinking I ought to think about selling it before I go back to the UK (I can't even think about importing guns back there!).

If anyone wants to buy one at the going rate (no idea what this is) and knows how to buy/sell a gun in Florida (I'm a Brit and haven't a clue), please drop me a message and I'll supply pictures or whatever. All my original pictures I referred to dissapeared when Yahoo shut down Geocities.. the rates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next