It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I want a better gun set up for late season canada goose.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:45 pm 
Field Grade

I have a rem 870 3inch I've been shooting kent fasteel BB, I want to upgrade.
I'm not considering a 10 gauge.

The choices I have considered so far is to get a 3.5 inch 12 gauge or to go to one of the heavi metal type loads. I'm also strongly considering getting a reloading press( I might as well as I have reloading presses for everything else, and loading my own would give me more options.
Maybe it's time to go ahead and get that beretta xtreema I've been wanting for such a long time.
Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: I want a better gun set up for late season canada goose.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:43 am 
Crown Grade

I use a Beretta Xtreme for late season, big geese.
Most are dead in the air. 3 1/2" is the way to go for big geese.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 pm 
Field Grade

Get the Beretta if you want, it's a great gun. You're on Shotgun World, I don't think you will have to justify buying a nice new gun to anyone on here. That said,.....if you land those honkers in the decoys (like you are supposed to) you can use 2 3/4" 3's to kill them all day long.

Hevimetal is garbage that typically patterns worse than any regular steel load and offers no improved lethality over regular steel, and it costs a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:57 pm 
Field Grade

I'm kind of leaning toward maximizing my 870 through practice, drills, and premium reloading components. Then most importantly trying to see if I can decoy them in, as per suggestions. But this is just a loafing area, not a food supply. It is usually a small number of geese who are not there when the sun goes down but are there when the sun comes up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I've moved from my 870 to an SX3. I have the option to shoot 3 1/2 mag but I don't. I have just as much success late season with 3 inch shells in that I do try to bring the birds in, not skybust. I also hunt challenging areas and I find that as long as a do a really good job of concealing myself and put out a logical spread and do the right amount of calling, I can always get a few birds to commit. With a three bird late season limit, the small groups are my target. I find that the bigger flocks have too many eyes and are much harder to pull in.
I don't shoot the alternative metal loads....I have great luck with plain old low cost Fiocchi shells...saves money and drops all the birds that get close enough.... I use #2, #3....more bb's and try to shoot the eyes out.

The problem I have with the 3 1/2 is that because I typically do get birds to commit I hate to blow the breasts out of birds.... same reason that I don't use BC..... it's too destructive in close.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I like the 3" Kent steel and shoot a lot of it in 1-3/8 oz BB's. With a good tight choke that puts a lot of them on target, you can kill geese a long way off. But, I'm also a 10 ga guy. If I want more thump, I go to the 10 ga with 1-3/4 oz BBB's. If I was a pump gun guy (I never learned to shuck one) I'd own a BPS 10. I know several guys that like them a lot.

Several of the young bucks who were paying big bucks for the "premium" stuff have also gone to the heavy payload steel and we kill a lot of big geese. The one below had a 70 inch wing-span and weighed 11.5 pounds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

Hard to get geese in the decoys consistently.
When geese are outside the decoys, that's when 3 1/2". BBBs are the ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tal/IL wrote:
I like the 3" Kent steel and shoot a lot of it in 1-3/8 oz BB's. With a good tight choke that puts a lot of them on target, you can kill geese a long way off. But, I'm also a 10 ga guy. If I want more thump, I go to the 10 ga with 1-3/4 oz BBB's. If I was a pump gun guy (I never learned to shuck one) I'd own a BPS 10. I know several guys that like them a lot.

Several of the young bucks who were paying big bucks for the "premium" stuff have also gone to the heavy payload steel and we kill a lot of big geese. The one below had a 70 inch wing-span and weighed 11.5 pounds.

The ground shook when it hit! You have to love it. The only thing that make it better is if it landed on your buddies layout blind......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you want to stick with 3" 870 take a look at Bismuth shells. Rio and Kent are loading the bismuth shot, Rio loads #3 shot and Kent loads #4 as their largest shot. I'm hoping they start loading some bigger shot, #1 or BB would be nice for big geese. If you reload your in luck, a load of buffered #BB is a super goose load. I think it is better than any 3.5" steel load I've shot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

That was a good day - hunting with kids from the Illinois State University Trap & Skeet Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:26 pm 
Field Grade

Dr Duk wrote:

Why? Are you just setting out a rig and hoping they work or are you taking the time to figure out where they want to be and why? Granted there are some groups of birds that are just goofy and do not want to play fair, but if you can't get birds to commit consistently, you're doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

elvez wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

Why? Are you just setting out a rig and hoping they work or are you taking the time to figure out where they want to be and why? Granted there are some groups of birds that are just goofy and do not want to play fair, but if you can't get birds to commit consistently, you're doing something wrong.

That must be it.
Every field is leased. You don't have the option of hunting a field where the geese are.
We hunt on our lease. These birds have been hunted since Sept 1 in Canada.
By the time they get here, they have hundreds of goose spreads.
Maybe you can come out here and show me how it's done??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe I could come out and help, but only if you pony up for or find a better lease/spot. Doesn't sound like you have a very good one now.

Why would you set a rig when most days you're only hoping to pull birds for passing shots. That sounds like a colossal waste of time and effort. Killing birds takes work, and I don't mean going out every day and setting 200 decoys, calling your brains out hoping some will come to you. I mean thousands of miles on cars, knocking on doors, working at it all year... If you actually did that and can't consistently land birds, you are doing something wrong (moving, not grassing layouts enough, setting up in wrong direction....). If you didn't do those things and your solution is to shoot 3 1/2" BBB at passing geese, you might need to re-think your priorities. Or buy more barrel stickers.

If you are happy with your season and like how it went, more power to you. If not, try to pick through my sarcasm to see if you can find anything useful in the post. It's there. Trust me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 pm 

Quote:
try to pick through my sarcasm to see if you can find anything useful

Nope, don't see anything useful...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Hmmmmmm......I don't care who you are or how you do it, getting geese to decoy consistently seems like an unrealistic expectation... I don't care where you hunt or how you do it, there will be days where things just don't work....

On those days, you either pick up and move on, skybust or just sit it out... it's been my experience that even on days when there is nothing going on that a few birds will show up when you least expect them and almost always when you are in the middle of picking up your spread...or taking a leak. On slow days I always ask my partner to go take a leak, nine times out of ten birds will come in as soon as he's put his gun on the ground :lol:

Seriously though, for late season hunts, too many guns is a big problem. The birds are too cautious. If you have more than two layout blinds and a dog in a field you really lower your chances. You need to work really hard not to stand out in a field. And, if you have a buddy who is not super still and able to sit super tight, leave him at home....you'll never get birds to come in if you are hunting with an ADD talker.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:23 am 
Field Grade

Big River wrote:
If you want to stick with 3" 870 take a look at Bismuth shells. Rio and Kent are loading the bismuth shot, Rio loads #3 shot and Kent loads #4 as their largest shot. I'm hoping they start loading some bigger shot, #1 or BB would be nice for big geese. If you reload your in luck, a load of buffered #BB is a super goose load. I think it is better than any 3.5" steel load I've shot.

Bismuth? I thought I read that bismuth was heavier than steel but lighter than anything else?
I'm kind of amazed at how the opinions on this seem to be all over the place. Not really much of a consensus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="elvez"]Maybe I could come out and help, but only if you pony up for or find a better lease/spot. Doesn't sound like you have a very good one now.

yup!
That's it, only 515 geese taken on the lease this year.
The old saying "wild goose chase" is because they are hard to get.
We hunt out of pits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:57 pm 
Field Grade

emgerrish wrote:
I don't care where you hunt or how you do it, there will be days where things just don't work....

100% correct, but you try to eliminate those days to the extent possible.....and one of the ways you can do that is to not skybust big flocks in order to pull a couple out, meanwhile you educate the remaining birds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:26 pm 
Limited Edition

elvez wrote:
emgerrish wrote:
I don't care where you hunt or how you do it, there will be days where things just don't work....

100% correct, but you try to eliminate those days to the extent possible.....and one of the ways you can do that is to not skybust big flocks in order to pull a couple out, meanwhile you educate the remaining birds.

That theory is one of the main reasons I use a 3.5" with BB or BBB. When I decoy large flocks, I let them land. Then I send the dog to chase them out. This keeps them from getting educated. When I get small flocks in I want no survivors. We have a 4 bird limit. I am disappointed with a double, expect a triple, and occasionally get a quad when the birds line up right. Let the first couple land, shoot first at the last ones in the air, then get the geese that landed as they take off. Not very sporting, but I want them dead right there.

Pick up the decoys and get the heck out of the field.

I feel a fast handling 3.5" gun gives me an advantage. I had a ten gauge, it killed them deader, but I was slow coming out of the layout blind. I shoot small geese with 3" shells, but for big geese, the additional payload improves my odds of hitting vitals, breaking wings, and hitting heads.

Not all 3.5" shells are created equal and pattern in every gun. Some also beat you up more. I like max pay load at moderate speed; 1.5 oz, 1500 fps. I shoot a tight improved choke.

When you buy your new gun, buy 5 different boxes of shells. That will give you plenty to break in your gun and pattern it. Use a bag of shot between the gun and your shoulder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Frank, Bismuth density is around 9.7, steel 7.9 and lead 11.1, note I said around. Tom Armbrust and Tom Roster have written some good articles on bismuth. The rule of thumb was to go up one size from lead. I haven't reloaded for years but we used to load some buffered BB loads that were crushers at 45+ yards. The shot is expensive, but reloading you have larger shot choices.