It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Darryle wrote:
A Light 12 version would be a great duck gun, for most of us, 2 3/4" loads are sufficient fodder for ducks, look at the 20's and 28's being used daily for ducks.

In fact, I think I will open the season with my '54 or '57, I have some 1 1/4oz #5 Tungsten Matrix that is just the ticket for some puddle ducks over the decoys.

Wow. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

870 Wingmaster 3" magnum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

For a Duck gun, the 870 wingmaster 3" 12ga. With a Remchoke barrel on it of course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Winchester SX3 3 1/2 12 gauge with 28 inch barrel. I rarely shoot 3/1/2 but if I need to I like to have it available. The SX fits perfectly, it's light, it's easy to clean and is a real soft shooter.
I use the same gun for turkey hunting (that's the 3 1/2), two shells a year.

I shoot a 16 gauge Lefever Nitro Special for pheasant and sky rats...

16 gauge loads are not as easy to find as they once were so the sweet 16 is not a useful as it once was...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

when it gets down and dirty ..your going to need a benelli :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

greenhornet wrote:

Please elaborate and enlighten us...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

greenhornet wrote:

Horse feathers, I have an Auto-5 that hadn't been cleaned since it left the factory in 1976, pretty sure your Benelli won't run for 40yrs without a cleaning.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Super X2 will run with any Benelli and kicks far less.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 am 
Presentation Grade

I have had several duck guns and have ended up with a old Benelli SBE, I know that's kinda cliche but I like it the best. Everybody likes a gun for a certain reason I'll tell you why I like the SBE.
1. I like the between the hands ballance with a 26" barrel.
2. I like the 3.5" chamber, I never use 3.5" but if i forget my blind bag (I'm very forgetful) I know I can shoot any length shell since I have friends that do shoot 3.5s when goose hunting.
3. I like the way the top of the reciever is made onto the barrel. It makes it easy to clean something out of the trigger group/action in the field.
4. The inertia system is super simple and easily field stripped.
5. With the A shim it fits me like a glove and shoots just a tad high which I like.
6. The pistol grip is thin like a old Remington 1100.
7. The stock is perfect dimension and the but pad is long and wide and has a better pitch for my thick chest. I never thought much about this till I wet from a Browning gold which I liked a lot to the SBE. The pitch of the gold would leave a bruise right below my shoulder.
8. No plastic parts on the SBE1.
9. Been shooting this gun ever since the SBE2 came out and I think I have only had 1 benelli click all that time and that was my fault. I did have it jam a bunch of times when I tried a box of heavy metal loads, one in five shells didn't even shoot cause of bad primers, absolute junk! The brass wasn't sized right and I threw them away. Never jammed one time on me since. I clean it at the end of every season and don't use a lot of oil.

I love old A5s hate the new ones though. Also like the winchester and beretta autos especially the 390 and 391.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You must have got a bad batch. I use 3" Hevi-Metal #3 in my Super X2, works like a champ and kills ducks good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 am 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
You must have got a bad batch. I use 3" Hevi-Metal #3 in my Super X2, works like a champ and kills ducks good.

Bad batch for sure. But I also got some of their turkey loads and all the buffer poured out of them. Maybe their quality is better now but I won't know cause Im getting great patterns with 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 kent fasteel and killing duck just fine. Federal blue box is rather good also in my gun. Cost less, preform fine.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 am 
Field Grade

I shot over 1500 rounds through my Maxus MOSGB 26" this season with no issues what-so-ever.The recoil with 3.5 shells is so much better than Benelli's. My friend and hunting partner almost broke his middle finger shooting 3.5 shells through his Benelli (not joking). Not sure how you can do better than the Maxus.

I have a lot of shotguns, and the Maxus is my goto gun. I do shoot a Rem SP-10 with a 23" barrel for late season divers, but other that, I am sold on the Maxus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

T-roy 120 wrote:
lossking wrote:

Bad batch for sure. But I also got some of their turkey loads and all the buffer poured out of them. Maybe their quality is better now but I won't know cause Im getting great patterns with 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 kent fasteel and killing duck just fine. Federal blue box is rather good also in my gun. Cost less, preform fine.

While I like their Hevi-Metal for ducks, I'm no Hevi-Shot fanboy. In fact, my favorite goose loads are Kent Fasteel and Winchester Drylock Super Speed BBs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Benelli Nova- I have used it for everything for the last 18 years; trap, skeet, SC, Upland game, Waterfowl, and turkeys... No load is too light, and no load is too heavy.

Its only limitation is the operator!

Cycles-every time. If my left arm is still working it will cycle!

That is not exactly true... One time, shortly after first light, a flock of mallards dropped into the decoys... Click :o
Thinking I forgot to chamber a round, I cycled the action... click.... :shock:
Popped it back open, checked action.... no shells!!! :oops:

It fits me, patterns great with original chokes, and POI is slightly higher than point of aim just the way I like it.

Its a $300 brush beater... I don't have to worry about scratching it up or even taking a swim with it. I can go anywhere and do anything going after the birds. I can't hurt this thing.

Easy to clean... it's a yearly ritual!

The my take on the perfect duck gun is one I shoot well, and goes bang every time I pull the trigger!

(yearly cleaning was a joke... I clean it after almost every outing)

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm 
Crown Grade

If you like the Nova then you should check out the Super Nova. It is aptly named.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:46 pm 
Utility Grade

duckqwacker wrote:
If you like the Nova then you should check out the Super Nova. It is aptly named.

My nova is fine... I highly doubt the comfort tech stock and extra large trigger guard are worth the extra cost/hassle of selling my Nova and purchasing the "SUPERNOVA." :roll:

As far as I can tell, its the same gun with marketing features to solve non-existent problems, but that is just my opinion.

NRA Life Member

Post subject: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

You don't know what you're missing especially if you ever shoot 3.5". I have no doubt your Nova is fine. If it were more than fine it would be "super". :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Perfect duck gun?

Does this count?

or how about this?

:mrgreen:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:34 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Perfect duck gun?

Does this count?

or how about this?

:mrgreen:

I heard about people duck hunting with a motorcycle helmet and a net before but your battle ship design is the true winner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next