It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duck shells
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

Hey guys,

i mainly frequent the reloading section. i`m just dipping my toe afurther a field.

i *should* be going duck shooting this season. the last time i went was 5yrs or so ago.
last time i usd bismuth loads, i`m not a big fan. coupled with the fibre wads that were mandatory (yeah its the UK.)

i ended up making and developing a few nontoxic shells. the shells i`ve selected to reload exclusively are either .... bismuth, itx 10, niceshot (i`ve still got some.).

so i`m going for the more premium or more lead like loads.

i have a few questions though.
can i use ITX10 through full / extrafull choke that my fixed choke merkel is at? wouldnt mind give it a good airing.
what shotsizes would be good for mid sized duck+
i have in my head
bismuth #4
itx4
niceshot 5

re thereabouts, there is wiggle room and i`m not stuck or set on any size.

for the 7/8oz steel, i`ve #2s in mind with good speed.

Post subject: Re: Duck shells
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 am 
Field Grade

i shoot fiocchi cause it's relatively cheap steel and i shoot birds when they're close. however i will say that HeviShot is (to me) the best load ever developed for waterfowl since the lead ban

NRA Member
Georgia Carry Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

cookoff, you didn't tell us what gauge you're shooting so here's my experiences with what I shoot.

I've shot 7/8oz loads of ITX-10 #4 in my 20ga O/U for ducks for a couple of years with good results on everything from mallards to teal. I also shoot steel #3 which I believe is the perfect steel shot size for 3" 20ga. loads at speeds in the 1450-1500 fps range. #4 steel doesn't hold its speed at ranges past 30yds and #2 steel doesn't offer enough pellets in a 7/8oz load. Those are just my observations in the field. I'm also loading bismuth #4 this season and so far pattern results have been very good with a 1oz load in 2-3/4" shells, Cheddite's and Rio's.

BPI states that ITX-10 is "softer than barrel steel...and is ideal for any shooter concerned with shooting non-toxic through their barrels, including double-gun shooters and small-bore shooters". I've tested a buffered 7/8oz ITX-10 #4 load through a factory IM choke tube with patterns that resemble Xtra-full at 35 yards. 122/150 pellets in a 30" circle for 88% patterns with even dispersement.

IMO you would be good to go with either Nice, bismuth or ITX-10 in the shot sizes you mentioned. As I stated above go with #3 steel shot in a 7/8oz loads. Good luck and good hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:39 am 
Crown Grade

I'm shooting 12gauge. The loads are 1,1/16 itx. 1,1/8oz nice and bismuth. The steel was an economy version. I can't see me shooting beyond 40yards. But the nice or its would be very welcome. Loads would be 1400fps mv or 1350mv. Thanks for the choking itx info. I wanted to use decent shells maybe #6 or 5 in itx now I know they pattern tight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I do not use ITX10 or NICE SHOT.
For Bismuth In 12ga a 32 to 34 gram of American 4 bismuth In a 1400 1450 FPS load will Be great in your Full choke gun, and give you an option if Duck seem to be a little further than your expected 40 yards.
With Bismuth I favour Buffering with loads of this nature.
For Steel for Medium sized ducks under 40 yards you could through your full choke use a 1 oz load of American 2s at 1600 1650 FPS to keep your costs down and still be confident in your choice of load.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree with domboost hevi metal is a fantastic waterfowl load if you can afford it(key word is afford), I've shot it off and on for about 3 years now. I've killed many ducks and geese with them and I can say that I've killed two ducks out at 52 yards(lucky shot with them lining up perfect). I really do like them I've only used 3's, 2's and BB's in hevi metal, even if you just clip them just right they are going down hard. Last season I shot a wood ducks with my sx3 (3" 2's hevi metal) in December on the water at 40 yards and that was all I really needed to see how great this product really worked.