CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pump vs Semi-auto?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

I was always told that the Semi-auto shotguns would jam occasionally.So i hunt with Pump shotguns only.

I just want to do a little survey of my own to see what you guys think.

So please enlighten me.:D

Post subject: re: Pump vs Semi-auto?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am very biased towards pumps. I do not own an autoloader. Even though most autoloaders are very reliable i just know with my bad luck i will somehow get a lemon and anything and everything i shoot will jam. I hunt with 2 guns. A mossberg 835 for waterfowl/turkey. A stoeger condor for upland birds and small game. I seem to have great trust in pumps and thats what i stick with. Just curious duckslayer what pump do you shoot?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

iv had semi autos and found them very good, but then went to a remmy 870 and still got it very good gun will hang on to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:54 pm 
Field Grade

I hunt with a benelli Nova pump 12,but i'am going to give that to my brother and just go ahead and by the Remington 870 Super Magnum with the camo stock and pump,i like it alot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:01 pm 
Field Grade

But most of the reason i don't like semi-auto's is because why would you buy something thats going to jam half of the time,when you can get just as good and just as fast with the pump.

I'm not trying to say the semi-auto's are bad but i'd rather depend on the pump's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most modern autoloaders suffer very, very few jams (even in very harsh conditions). Between my father and I, we can count only about a dozen jams in roughly seventy years of hunting experience with our Rem 1100's (and most of those are a direct result of the really pathetic early steel shot loads). I can only remember one jam in the past 5 years, and that was likely my fault (my very first batch of hand-loaded shells :oops: ). The secret is to keep your guns clean and properly lubricated with a quality oil.

Autoloaders are definitely easier to operate in awkward positions like layout blinds. Also, if you use a gas-op design there generally is some attenuation of felt recoil.

I have nothing against pumps. I've shot plenty of birds with 870's. They're nearly bullet-proof, they definitely cost less, and they are more forgiving if maintainance is lax. But don't be too hasty to discount the effectiveness of a good autoloader.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hunt exclusively with semi autos now. i used to thunk theya re unreliable but that is a thing of the past. I almost never have a jam, my SBE will occasionally stovepipe on me but only with Winchester ammo. My m2 has never jammed and I use that gun more than any. After 200 rounds on the SC course it gets a little sticky but it has never jammed.

Pumps are ok but after you shoot a semi auto you will ask yourself what was I thinking?

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:52 pm 

I too only use auto's and so does my group of buddies. The pump action is more reliable. Not all semi auto's are created equal. Some models are much more reliable than others. The type of oil and the amount plays a fairly big role in cold weather operation.

I agree with Bug Doc about the benfits of less felt recoil and easier operation from certian positions. They also are a little faster for follow up shots.

Most auto's now a days have useful features like shims to adjust the stock and magazine cutoff's. Only the Benelli Super Nova have any of these features.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am 
Field Grade

Yeah i guess your right Bug Doc,its the way you take care of the gun and the way you handle it most of the time,results in a good gun... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 am 
Diamond Grade

I grew up hunting with pump shotguns and still like them. I started having problems short-shucking my pumps and switched to autos. Autos are good as long as you keep them clean. Pumps will take a little more abuse. If you are around shooting long enough you will see every gun mess up sometimes. I have seen all the most popular autos and pumps mess up before out hunting or at the gun range. After all they are all man made mechanical devices. They all have little parts in them that can and do break or malfunction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

For many years I have used a Browning Auto 5 12 gauge 3 inch shotgun for ducks and geese.In all those years I have never had any trouble with it.The main thing to remember with any auto loading shotgun is to keep it clean.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I shot pumps exclusively for many years. Most guns I would see in the field would be pumps or side by sides. A few years ago I was given an O/U as a gift, and I fell in love with it. For two seasons I used the O/U exclusively, but, it is only 2 3/4" and fixed chokes. This presented some problems when it came to waterfowling with steel shot. Also, it is disheartening to try to take a beautiful gun into duck sloughs, or laying in a muddy corn field, knowing it will slide into the water or get knocked over at least a few times a season no matter how careful you are.

Unfortunately, after using an O/U on which the forearm does not move or wiggle at all, I had a hard time trying to use a pump again. I was short-shucking also, which I had never done previously. Perhaps it is not possible to forget how to ride a bike, but I think it is possible to forget how to shoot a pump.

With the large number of synthetic stocked autoloaders around today, it was a no-brainer to lean toward an auto for waterfowl. Last year was the first with mine, and there were no stoppages at all with duck or goose loads. I do keep it clean though...I never cleaned my pumps other than wiping down the outside. I clean the autos probably every other time I shoot, or about every 100 shots. The O/U I also clean often, so perhaps it is less to do with the action type than with my comfort zone in breaking down firearms, nowadays.

Had I not been given that O/U, I might still be shooting a pump today- possibly the same one for all hunting. Instead, I shoot a 20ga auto for doves, a 12ga auto for waterfowl, and the O/U for pheasants. It's amazing how they are very different guns, but they feel so right for their individual uses.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know people with benellis and myself included that would tell you theirs has never jammed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:58 pm 
Field Grade

My buddy bought a brand new browning Bps at Academy the same day we were making a after noon hunt and he shot it about 15 times and then got a jam.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I myself hunted with several pumps for about 10-years when I started hunting. My first 2 semi-autos, a Weatherby Centurion and a Franchi AL48 pretty much made me a semi-auto man ever since. I've owned many different semi-auto shotguns over 25 years shooting/hunting. I still have my Franchi AL48 12ga and wouldn't part with this shotgun. The only pump I purchased in recent years is a Benelli Nova. This Nova is an outstanding shotgun; I used mine for goose and turkey hunting... But the fact is I don't shoot as well with follow up shots with pumps anymore so I sold it to a good friend that's a pump man. Well at least till recently when he got his new Benelli Super Black Eagle. I have hardly seen that Nova since he got his hands on that SBE...:lol:

I also don't care for the generally stouter recoil/kick of pump shotguns compared to semi-autos with magnum rounds. I'll take the semi-auto over the pump these days, and as many here have already mentioned, these semi shotguns are very reliable in all hunting/shooting conditions as long as one keeps them reasonably clean between outings. I also need to start practicing what I preach because my Baikal MP153 hasn't been cleaned in over a 1000 rounds...:roll: I need to get on the stick and give this shotgun a good cleaning this week sometime, especially since early season goose and dove hunting is coming up pretty fast here in PA.

I think the bottom line is shoot/use what you want, fits and works well for you regardless of which type action or particular brand/model. Life would be pretty dull if we were all the same...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

True jds if everyone were the same,people would be pretty dull.

Post subject: Re: re: Pump vs Semi-auto?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Bug Doc wrote:
Most modern autoloaders suffer very, very few jams (even in very harsh conditions). Between my father and I, we can count only about a dozen jams in roughly seventy years of hunting experience with our Rem 1100's (and most of those are a direct result of the really pathetic early steel shot loads). I can only remember one jam in the past 5 years, and that was likely my fault (my very first batch of hand-loaded shells :oops: ). The secret is to keep your guns clean and properly lubricated with a quality oil.

Autoloaders are definitely easier to operate in awkward positions like layout blinds. Also, if you use a gas-op design there generally is some attenuation of felt recoil.

I have nothing against pumps. I've shot plenty of birds with 870's. They're nearly bullet-proof, they definitely cost less, and they are more forgiving if maintainance is lax. But don't be too hasty to discount the effectiveness of a good autoloader.
My thoughts perzackly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:39 pm 
Limited Edition

All I shot for 30+ years were pump guns. Model 12's and an 870 Wingmaster. I never had any trouble with short shucking and honestly could pump them as fast as any auto would cycle so I never had a reason to change to an auto. Until I took up waterfowl and turkey hunting and "needed" a gun that would handle 3.5" loads. I wanted the gas gun for recoil reduction and bought a used Browning Gold. Now I love the auto, but then again I love all my guns 8).

As far as reliabilty goes I only had the gun jam once(FTF) right after I bought it, and that was in 15 degree weather with 3.5" shells. After following WORC's guidelines for cleaning it thoroughly (I don't think the 1st owner ever cleaned it) I have never had any trouble with any load from 2,3/4 target all the way up to 3.5" turkey loads.

I guess after all is said and done, I would not let the action type be the only factor in deciding which gun to go with. I would also consider how it fit, how comfortable the controls were (safety,trigger,mag.cutoff,ect.), and most importantly how well You hit with it.

Hey, I wonder if I could shoot both at the same time, one from each shoulder? :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I've never ever felt the need to have a pump. My autos have been there and done that. They haven't let me down in the field.