CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What size shot should I use
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm going snow going snow goose hunting this weekend. I will shoot a 12ga 3" and my wife will shoot her 20ga 3" or another 3" 12ga. What shot size should I buy? I would assume that it will be pass shooting.

Post subject: re: What size shot should I use
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depends on what kind of shot you want to buy (hevier than lead non-tox or steel) and the distance of the shots. If you really are going to be pass shooting - then I'd recommend something like the Remington HD Wingmaster especially for your wife with the 20 gauge - think 1 1/8 oz of 2's if you can find it or 4's. I know locally here you can still find the old Remington Hevi-shot Turkey loads (especially in 20 gauge) which work great for waterfowl - they have a little heavier payload, but less speed.

For yourself - If you want to go with something like the HD - look for 1 1/2 oz of 2's, 4's or B's. If you want to stick to steel, BB's are a good choice for 3" shells. If you could keep your shots close - just about anything will do the trick. Snows are IMO aren't as tough as Canada's (plus there's nothing like a tornado decoying over top of your head :twisted: )

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would use a fast 1400+ fps load in 3 inch. I would use BB but it depends on how they are committing. If they are coming right into decoys i would opt for 1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Steel BBs for the 12ga. For the wife's 20ga you might want to spend a little more and get some hevi shot in #4s. But honestly if she's ok with a 12ga she should go with the same 3" steel loads.

I agree with goose erlan about the #1 shot...but to me bb will work just fine whether they are close or far away so it makes it a little more versitile.

If you are going to be shooting at them from over 50 yards get some hevi shot. Snows are probably the toughest birds I've ever hunted and the breast feathers are like a shield.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the advice, I bought some BB and will have the wife shoot the 12 if she can handle the recoil.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

If it was cheaper I'd say this is probably the best application for #2 or #4 Wingmaster HD. Remington is running a rebate on the website, you can get $15 back on a single box of 10. That would be what I would put in the 20 gauge. That stuff patterns very tightly (at least in my 12 gauge), so it should have the range. Steel BB loads will knock the birds down, but with one or two pellets in them they'll probably sail, or run. With the big steel pellet you will want to choke them as tight as you can without "blowing" the pattern. There are specialized tubes that will work, but I switched to Tungsten based shot in 2005, so I can't really speak to what choke you should use for steel. Last year I used #1 Fasteel in the 3" 1560 fps load to good effect, but I've learned to get under the birds a little closer before I open fire.

-Dave