It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

The day browning comes out with a synthetic or camo sweet sixteen I will buy one. I think it would be the perfect duck gun for what I do most of the time. Here in Florida we tend to shoot smaller birds, especially early in the season. I have a 3" 20 gage M2 in max 5 camo and love it. My main duck gun is still a 12 gage but I am really interested in the 16 gage. Does anyone know if Browning has ever manufactured a 3" version 16 gage? In my
opinion, a 3" 16 gage with 26" barrel in MOSGB might be the perfect duck gun.

Post subject: Re: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Both 16 ga Browning Citoris I own have 3" chambers. The one is from the late 80s and the other is a couple years old. I figure all the 16 ga guns have 3" chambers though I do not know why. I suspect it has to do with machine settings as it is cheaper to leave them set up for 3" after running them for 12 and 20 ga barrels. I may be off base but it is the only thing I can think of.

My ideal duck gun would be one that will not malfunction regardless of weather or field conditions and would not need daily cleaning to stay running. It would also be soft on the shoulder, even after shooting a number of heavy loads.

The closest I have found so far is the Beretta 390/391 series guns. I have used them in the worst snow/rain/mud fields chasing geese and they have not given me an ounce of trouble, yet. Before these I regularly carried at least two guns in the field as one of them would invariably clog up with mud, dirt, or chaff. I had a problem with a 390 at a tourney which was hit with a torrential downpour. The water prevented the system from working properly causing stovepipes.

I have a Browning Gold Hunter that is almost as fool proof. If it were a 3" model rather than 3.5" I think it would be just as reliable but I had a couple of bobbles with 1 oz, 2 3/4" shells in a very dusty wheat field so I can't say it is as trustworthy as the Berettas but it is close.

My Citori Hunter is very reliable but it is a pain to clean after being exposed to water. It also has only two shots available which can be a disadvantage at times. It also lacks the recoil reduction of a gas gun which can be helpful if one is shooting a lot of heavy loads.

With some shoulder problems recoil reduction is important to me. That is why I rule out pumps and use the Citori sparingly these days. Otherwise, a Remington Wingmaster woujld be hard to beat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:52 am 
Crown Grade

My idea of the perfect duck gun is a synthetic-stocked, camo-finished, gas-operated 3" 12 gage autoloader. The reasons are almost endless, and I won't even try to go into them here.
Sub-gage guns have several limitations that make them less perfect for ducks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I have never seen 3" 16 guage ammo or gun chambered for it. 16 guage steel seems to be pretty limited. My ideal duck gun is a pump 12 guage, 3" Chamber with choke tubes, plastic stock and forearm, with camo'd metal to prevent rust. I prefer a pump in the blinds. I have no trouble pumping my gun in a layout blind or layout boat. I often hunt ducks and geese at the same time and I can shuck shells to switch loads very quickly with my pump. All of my friends have switched to semi autos and I kill birds just as well as they do. I like a gas semi auto for doves or target shooting but for waterfowl my pump is trouble free.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:11 pm 
Field Grade

I'm an equal opportunity offender. Might be one of my O/U's (12, 20, 28) an inertia 12 or a gas 12. Doesn't matter, what matters is that I am out hunting.

Mudpack, I'd put my little 28 with 7/8 oz HW 6's up against any duck gun, any gauge you got. We'll see who's got the limitation. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm happy with my Versa Max

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:26 am 
Field Grade

I have a versa Max and love it too but it is a heavy gun. I like that gun especially when I am hunting larger birds (3.5'') or if I am hunting out of a boat. Because it is a heaver gun I prefer my maxus or M2 20 gage in certain situations like wading in deep water and early teal. I agree, there will never be a replacement for the versatility of the 12 gage but for what I do most of the time a lighter sub gage with a little more punch than a 20 gage would be perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Twodog wrote:
The day browning comes out with a synthetic or camo sweet sixteen I will buy one. I think it would be the perfect duck gun for what I do most of the time. ...a 3" 16 gage with 26" barrel in MOSGB might be the perfect duck gun.

Until you have to buy ammunition for it. I don't reload, so for me, the 12 gauge is king with the 20 gauge running a close second. My ideal gun is a 3" 12 gauge semi auto, with camo covering the metal and synthetic stock. If you do it right, you're not going to be firing too many shells (7 duck limit in Kalifornia) so I'd rather have a slim inertia gun than a gas gun. A 3.5" gun isn't something I feel I need in order to get my limit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

A 12 gauge 3" gas semi auto that is reliable, fits you, and weighs about 7 pounds. In full camo with a 26" or 28" barrel. 3 1/2" is optional based on what, where, and how you hunt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm an o/u convert. I've used pumps and semi autos but for me - I have less issues with the o/u and I shoot it better because that's what I use practice all year at the target range with.

Mine is the 12ga Cynergy Satin field - I think the only thing that would make it better is if it were the camo/synthetic version (which I'm considering trading for).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Remington VersaMax

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:31 am 
Presentation Grade

One that hits everything I shoot it at![WINKING FACE]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:38 pm 
Limited Edition

3.5" 12ga 28" camo, duratouch gas gun that weights 8.5lbs, has options to put on weight or mag extension on it. Is easy to take apart and clean, never malfunctions even when neglected. Has the recoil similar to that of a .22 with 3.5" shells. Tends to shoot a tad high, has a white bead front sight only, a crisp trigger with no play. Has a recoil pad that doesn't get hung up on clothes when shouldering (smooth). Comes with options for a rifled barrel, HD barrel, turkey barrel. Comes with extended, labeled choke tubes. Unloads like my maxus (quickly).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:37 pm 

My waterfowling model will always be a 12 gauge with a 3 1/2" chamber. It must be reliable, durable, and well made. It will have a synthetic stock/forearm and a camo finish. Balance point that's either neutral or more towards the stock. Features would include a magazine cutoff of some type and interchangeable choke tubes. Bonus features but, not must haves would be an overbored barrel, rubber grip panels or coating, shims to adjust the stock, magazine that can accept an extenstion, and speed load. Weight wise, it needs to be under eight pounds. Too light of a gun can have weight added.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Beretta Xtrema I

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Beretta Xtrema II. Synthetic camo stock, 28" barrel, 3.5" w/ kickoff, corrosion resistant finish.
Gofer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Benelli Supernova. There is no equal in waterfowling pump guns. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:03 pm 
Crown Grade

A friend of mine has just had a custom SxS 16 made with 3.5" chambers and is having brass shells made for it. Should be interesting..................

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:36 pm 
Limited Edition

elvez wrote:
I'm an equal opportunity offender. Might be one of my O/U's (12, 20, 28) an inertia 12 or a gas 12. Doesn't matter, what matters is that I am out hunting.:

+1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 am 
Limited Edition

If I could only have one duck gun it would be a Remington SP 10 with 26" barrel. LM, Mod and IM extended chokes. Teal to pterodactyls you are covered. And the best part is the gun is a blast to shoot. With a little care and cleaning it operates flawless. When it comes to shooting steel shot the ten gauge is hard to beat.