It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just picked up what I hope is my perfect duck gun.....A Remington V3. Fits good and shoots soft. So far I've been through a few "perfect" duck Guns though including two Russian guns (SPR453, Baikal 220) two Italian (Xtrema 2, 686 Essential). So this latest one has to be the ticket. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:15 am 
Field Grade

Deleted

"Older than most, younger than some, lucky to still be here"

Last edited by NYshotgunner on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

I think I have had this conversation before. The best duck gun depends on two things. First, what kind of gun do you shoot best, and second, what kind of duck hunting do you do? I am a Southpaw. A guy I once met called Lefty once told me, "We are all born right handed but some of us overcame the handicap". Dad loved his A5 Browning but Dad could make it rain birds with it. I couldn't stand in a barn & shoot the damn thing out the front door. My shoot'n usually ain't too shabby with one of my SXS's. They didn't make left handed jamomatics when I was learning to shoot. I bought one once but sold it soon after. They make some pretty good left hand autos now but I am probably better off shooting what I have learned to shoot. Don't change horses in mid stream or put another way, why reinvent the wheel? Another reason is I roll my own. I have a pretty significant stockpile of every kind of nontoxic shot there is (except steel). I will worry about steel if I am lucky enough to live long enough to shoot it all. I have had good luck buying it on sale in the off season. I recently got a deal on 10 lbs. of Hevi Shot & still have a good supply of Winchester 10 ga. bismuth.
Anyway, my reloads kill great but the crimp taper is not always perfect. They always go bang in a double if you can get them in the chamber, not to mention that I don't like hard to find 10 ga. hulls getting flung in the drink.
What gauge? Well, in a swamp shooting Summer ducks or at times teal, I like a 20. All around duck hunting, you will usually find me shooting a 12 or a 10 with 12 ga. equivalent loads just because I like the way the guns handle. Geese, especially when the wind is blowing a full gale & it is cold & the birds won't decoy like you want, you will usually find me with a 10 loaded with tungsten. A 3.5" 12 will work. Even a 2.75" 12 loaded with the good stuff will work more often than not but I don't own a 3.5" 12 ga. You can't beat the follow through of a ten & pattern efficiency is super. I can load anything I want in my tens from 1.25 oz. up. That sums up the best duck guns for me. Yours will probably be different.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 am 
Utility Grade

For me, it is the gun that fits me the best and that I have confidence
in shooting. I prefer to shoot 3" shells that range from BB's to
4's in our rice and bean fields in NE Arkansas. I also prefer a 26"
barrel as opposed to a 28" or longer (personal preference).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:22 am 
Limited Edition

12 ga SxS, I have an 835, but it handles like a mop up to your shoulder. If long geese shots or long distance duck pass shooting with the expensive ammo ever arose I would think about using the 835. The 835 is just dandy for turkey and deer with the 24" barrels, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Twodog wrote:
The day browning comes out with a synthetic or camo sweet sixteen I will buy one. I think it would be the perfect duck gun for what I do most of the time. Here in Florida we tend to shoot smaller birds, especially early in the season. I have a 3" 20 gage M2 in max 5 camo and love it. My main duck gun is still a 12 gage but I am really interested in the 16 gage. Does anyone know if Browning has ever manufactured a 3" version 16 gage? In my
opinion, a 3" 16 gage with 26" barrel in MOSGB might be the perfect duck gun.

A 12ga in any chamber length brand or model or mechanism type offers a good option in that it can do most duck hunting situations quite competently, you could leave this subject there and not be a million miles off a perfect duck gun.
I personalty chose a 16 ga semi auto i do use a Remington 1148 and a Browning FN A5 16 for duck hunting a lot of the time these 16ga with steel 2s not the usual 4s generally encountered in 16ga steel ammo have proved a deadly combination for Ducks both into the decoy spread and pass shots i use them as Duck guns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:46 am 
Tournament Grade

While I started out hunting waterfowl with a 12ga pump, I have been using a 12ga Semi-Auto 2 3/4-3 1/2" for years now. I rarely shoot 3 1/2" magnum shells but I do run them for Sand Hills and occasionally geese and turkey. I prefer the gun to be camo dipped or cerakoted to prevent rust as we hunt brackish waters and the coast quite often. I tend to us a 1-2" extended choke as well. Over the years I have seen more issues with gas operated autos than I have with inertia driven guns and that's why I tend to favor a Benelli in the duck blind. Bring what you've got and enjoy the fun, but if you have the funds I highly recommend an Inertia-driven semi-auto.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:29 pm 
Limited Edition

30" superposed ic - mod , 3" chambers and lead shot.............. you asked :) honestly I still grab my 835 ,I just can't find fault with that gun !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:23 am 
Field Grade

I have had most of them best i have had if you take everything into account is the Baikal MP153 SPR 453. I still have it after 16 years its done me proud never one single malfunction it was cheap with an extra full steel choke and a cheap leather sling being its only changes from stock, its been incredible.
Teal to geese its functioned right down to 24 gram olads and up to 42 gram loads all on the factory setting on the gas valve. i have other guns i like shooting more on waterfowl but the MP153 has it hands down on reliability versatility and as for price its again a clear winner in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:13 am 
Tournament Grade

My Remi 870 3.5 Mag. 28" bbl syn camo stock. Simple , no freezing up, go's BANG every time. I only use 3" shells in her, to old for the 3.5" shells. My 2 cents. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Make mine a 12 ga Citori with 30" barrels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:25 pm 
Utility Grade

An Ithaca M37 waterfowl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

elvez wrote:
I'm an equal opportunity offender. Might be one of my O/U's (12, 20, 28) an inertia 12 or a gas 12. Doesn't matter, what matters is that I am out hunting.

Mudpack, I'd put my little 28 with 7/8 oz HW 6's up against any duck gun, any gauge you got. We'll see who's got the limitation. :mrgreen:

And you would lose.

some peoples opinion of themselves seem to be limitless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
I have never seen 3" 16 guage ammo or gun chambered for it. 16 guage steel seems to be pretty limited.

Nor have I or anyone else. There's a reason for that.

Last edited by mudpack on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

dup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

hunterdcb wrote:
elvez wrote:
I'm an equal opportunity offender. Might be one of my O/U's (12, 20, 28) an inertia 12 or a gas 12. Doesn't matter, what matters is that I am out hunting.

Mudpack, I'd put my little 28 with 7/8 oz HW 6's up against any duck gun, any gauge you got. We'll see who's got the limitation. :mrgreen:

And you would lose.
some peoples opinion of themselves seem to be limitless

Yes, I'm afraid you would lose, elvez. One and three-quarters ounces of HW 6's out of a 12 or 10 gage would be exactly twice as effective as your 28 gage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mudpack wrote:
noweil wrote:
I have never seen 3" 16 guage ammo or gun chambered for it. 16 guage steel seems to be pretty limited.

And the reason is...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

There are 32 huntable species of duck in the US ranging from less than a pound to almost 5 lbs. They are hunted over dry fields, flooded timber, managed impoudments, small ponds, large lakes and open ocean. Ducks are jumped, decoyed, pass shot, and snuck-up on and shot. They are tough and, often times, have to be finished off on the water. The can hover like a hummingbird or rip the air at more than 50mph. They can swim on the water, under the water, and fly and many can out run a man on open ground.

Of course, the most perfect gun for all these situations is a short-barrelled (26"), 12 gauge, 3" Over/Under with interchangable chokes, single trigger and ejectors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:50 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
mudpack wrote:
noweil wrote:

And the reason is...

...they don't make 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They should...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next