It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's your idea of the perfect duck gun?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 am 
Crown Grade

...but they don't.
What would be the point? The market for the 16 gage is microscopic compared to even the 20 gage, let alone the 12. The market for a 3" 16 gage gun or shell would be too small to be measured.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The point would be 1 1/8 ounces of #3 steel in a sweet handling 16ga duck gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

You can do that now in a sweet handling 12ga duck gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I need a duck gun that comes with a dog.

Lost two wood ducks today in the corn field, had good marks on them both.

One thing good about flooded corn fields is it really attracts the wood ducks. Something to do while I wait for things to dry out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

DE wrote:
DE wrote:
If Remington has truly fixed my V3 with the blowback problem (it returns from the shop tomorrow) I'll be very happy hunting waterfowl with it. 7.25 lbs, camo, soft shooting, it hits the right buttons for me. If it still is blowing powder back into my face I'll get my money back and either go Versa Max, Beretta A400, or a Super Vinci. I don't need 3 1/2", but I like soft recoil. I had a Vinci for a couple years and liked it a lot, but the safety was a bit of a reach. The Super Vinci seems to have a comfortable safety reach for me, so I'd consider it.

Nice photo, 1100 RM!

I'd better follow up my above comments. My V3 came back fixed with no more blowback problems. Remington paid the shipping both ways and it took only two weeks. I pounded through a box of 3" steel last week and didn't have anymore issues. Yesterday and today I got to do the real thing in the marsh with lots of shooting and my V3 performed perfectly. It cycles everything with soft recoil from 3/4 oz powderpuffs at the range to the 3" Kent Fasteel I shot over the weekend. It's now my perfect duck gun.

What Rem do to fix it ? ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mudpack wrote:

Already got some of those.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am 
Field Grade

I started hunting life out with an old Winchester model 24 side by side, I loved that gun, it handled perfectly.

I used pumps, and autoloaders, but hate them, to me they handle like 2x4s, I have an older Spanish double, that doesn't handle much better than the autos, for the last several years I've hunted with a Ruger red label, it's ok for a tank, but just recently I've been using an old Belgian double, it's light like the 24, even lighter, 6 lbs 2 oz., it handles like a dream, balances right at the hinge pin, English stock, with a delicate wrist, and a true splinter for arm, for me that is the perfect duck gun!!

Now if I could find that gun with new wood, and modern steel I would be in heaven...almost!!!

Terry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
mudpack wrote:

Then you're set.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mudpack wrote:
lossking wrote:
mudpack wrote:

Then you're set.

Thanks for letting me know. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't mention it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I certainly won't if you won't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Here's my problem on this: it seems my idea of the perfect duck gun changes pretty often, depending on my latest reloading enthusiasm. It was a Browning Maxus; then a 20ga SX3; then a 28ga SA-08 while I was loading HW13 and teaching my boys; then Grandpa's 16ga Model12 with 1oz steel, then bismuth; now a Camo Cynergy O/U, and the 16ga and a 20ga o/u are gaining ground with the availability of good bismuth at a good price for loading. So little time, so many fun guns to shoot!

If I had to commit, and didn't enjoy loading and high-density shot so much, then I think mudpack pretty much hit it spot on.
mudpack wrote:
My idea of the perfect duck gun is a synthetic-stocked, camo-finished, gas-operated 3" 12 gage autoloader. The reasons are almost endless, and I won't even try to go into them here.
Sub-gage guns have several limitations that make them less perfect for ducks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

Darryle wrote:
.. for most of us, 2 3/4" loads are sufficient fodder for ducks, look at the 20's and 28's being used daily for ducks.

Yes, there are least 15 or 16 shotguns of those gauges being used on ducks, nationwide, every day of the waterfowl season. This amply demonstrates their sufficiency. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

BADDUCK wrote:
A 12 gauge 3" gas semi auto that is reliable, fits you, and weighs about 7 pounds. In full camo with a 26" or 28" barrel. 3 1/2" is optional based on what, where, and how you hunt.

Sounds like a V3 :D

Versa max if you need the 3 1/2'' ers but you'll be just under the 8lbs gun weight

13 Savage Bmag 17wsm (for sale)
13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

Last edited by kuffs06 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Twodog wrote:
The day browning comes out with a synthetic or camo sweet sixteen I will buy one. I think it would be the perfect duck gun for what I do most of the time. Here in Florida we tend to shoot smaller birds, especially early in the season. I have a 3" 20 gage M2 in max 5 camo and love it. My main duck gun is still a 12 gage but I am really interested in the 16 gage. Does anyone know if Browning has ever manufactured a 3" version 16 gage? In my
opinion, a 3" 16 gage with 26" barrel in MOSGB might be the perfect duck gun.

Not sure about the USA but up here 16ga ammo is very expensive. I dont see too many people hat would buy it solely based on ammo cost...imagine how much they would charge for steel shot in 16ga!

I'm happy with the 3 shottys I have (listed below in the signature) that are all camo and ready for any weather thrown at them

13 Savage Bmag 17wsm (for sale)
13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 am 
Field Grade

I just got back from Nicaragua recently and the duck hunting was amazing. We shot 4 boxes of shells per hunt and hunted twice a day. With that much volume I chose a 20 gage and really did not notice much of difference. Yea, on some of those longer shots I wished I had the 12 gage but for the most part I had plenty of knockdown power with the 20. We were shooting 2 3/4 inch shells too.

There is nothing that compares to a 12 gage but I had a blast with the 20 and plan to duck hunt with it more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Twodog wrote:
I just got back from Nicaragua recently and the duck hunting was amazing. We shot 4 boxes of shells per hunt and hunted twice a day. With that much volume I chose a 20 gage and really did not notice much of difference. Yea, on some of those longer shots I wished I had the 12 gage but for the most part I had plenty of knockdown power with the 20. We were shooting 2 3/4 inch shells too.

There is nothing that compares to a 12 gage but I had a blast with the 20 and plan to duck hunt with it more.

I'll bet you shot 20ga lead loads. The twenty is a much more effective duck gun with lead than with steel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:
Twodog wrote:

I'll bet you shot 20ga lead loads. The twenty is a much more effective duck gun with lead than with steel.

You are right. The lead shot made a hudlge difference. What are your thoughts on 2 3/4 lead vs 3 inch steal?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 am 
Limited Edition

I've been reconsidering this..the question is what is the perfect duck gun.. I must say, it's one that always goes bang and never goes "click" with no bang. As long as that happens and then next shell can be cycled, it's the perfect duck gun..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Twodog wrote:
lossking wrote:
Twodog wrote:

You are right. The lead shot made a hudlge difference. What are your thoughts on 2 3/4 lead vs 3 inch steal?

1 oz. of lead, easily done in a 2 3/4" 20ga shell, would be far better than 1 oz. of steel, the max in a 3" shell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next