It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge duck load
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

footballtime wrote:
I would suggest Hevimetal 3" #4's.....for the 20 gauge

I agree with this. I am personally not as happy with the blindside #2 also in 3".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

footballtime wrote:

Already using them in the swamp..But looking for something with a little more down range for big diver ducks on big water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 am 
Presentation Grade

There're some very legitimate reasons to use a 20 gauge for ducks but if you are intentionally going after big water ducks you should use a 12 or plan to have the discipline to pass on otherwise makeable shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rubberhead wrote:
There're some very legitimate reasons to use a 20 gauge for ducks but if you are intentionally going after big water ducks you should use a 12 or plan to have the discipline to pass on otherwise makeable shots.
. I agree.. but got a bad vertebrae in my neck trying to shoot something with a little less weight and recoil...That why I'm trying to make my 20 gauge my duck gun for next season

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks - I understand.

I've been shooting a Sweet Sixteen some lately with 15/16 ounces of Steel #2 at 1,350 fps. It's a pretty deadly load with only moderate recoil and a fairly light gun. I haven't killed a canvasback with it but have killed sea ducks and redheads with no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Have to agree with the Kent 3" being one of the best factory loads. #3's are my choice in the 20ga. You need to choke it tighter and not shoot as far due to pattern density loss from lighter loads. I think 22-24" pattern from the 20ga vs 30" from the 12ga. If you are really trying to reduce recoil, load your own 3/4oz of #3's in 2 3/4" hulls. At 1500+ FPS they are duck killers even on big ducks and divers. It is all I use anymore. Practice lots of crossing shots at clays in the off season so the smaller pattern does not hurt you and enjoy the light recoil and light gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:59 pm 
Field Grade

The Hevimetal 3" 4's or 2's are super in a 20 gauge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just picked up some old Remington hevi shot
1 1/8oz #6s for the 20 gauge. Can't wait to try them this fall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:12 am 
Field Grade

My son is going to use Hevimetal 3" 4's this weekend
in Arkansas....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

footballtime wrote:

Dude, get off the Hevimetal bandwagon. How much does Hevimetal pay you to post this crap?

Last edited by B-Boy on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Grandson has done very well with Bismuth #5's both Rio and Kent. Even killed two geese with it one was 35 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Shot a few ducks with both the 16 and 20. For steel the 3's are about the best balance for 1oz of shot in density and range. I have used Bismuth and ITX in both and while superior, in that one can load 1 1/8 oz they are mostly used for low shell count stuff like pheasant hunting in no-tox zones. Kent's Bismuth are getting more affordable and would be a viable option.
For larger ducks like mallards, I hate 4 steel with a passion. It should work better than it does. I just shoot 3's and 2's at them. A 20 ga is about a 30 yard weapon and the situation for its use should be where decoying and restraint limit those shots.

DP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I sometimes wonder why I post. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment or just bored. I won't give an opinion, just tell you what I know or think I know. I never shot a steel anything in my life but I have seen a lot of waterfowl shot with steel & I have had ample opportunity to compare what I was shooting with steel. Obviously, anything will kill within it's effective range & nothing will kill if you miss. Steel is definitely cheaper if you can get close enough but anything tungsten has a greater effective range. Maybe I'm eccentric, but I really don't like shooting loads that are 1500 fps.. Loads that reach 1200 fps are much more pleasant to shoot. Tungsten Matrix is great stuff. I like Tungsten Matrix #5 & have killed my share of ducks with it along with a few snow geese. I never killed a Canada goose with ITM #5's but I have done so with Hevi Shot #5's @ 50 + yds. Some may remember, I believe it was Delta Waterfowl that did the test, virtually every load that was on the market at that time was evaluated on a pass fail basis. The most common reason for failure with all shot types was insufficient pattern density. Obviously, that becomes more critical with a 20 ga. & equally obvious is that it becomes easier to do as shot density is increased. You can gain range by increasing velocity but it runs out. The faster you start a load, the faster it sheds velocity. According to Ed Lowery's ballistic tables, steel #2's started at 1500 fps mv arrive at 60 yds. at a velocity of 537 fps.. Start it at 1314 fps. & it arrives at 60 yds. at 502 fps.. A 200 fps. increase in M.V. gives you a whopping 35 fps. advantage @ 60 yds.. They will both kill at 50 yds. if, & this is a very big if, you can maintain adequate pattern density. Another subject people that try to sell steel avoid like the plague is wind drift. The old timers in the lead shot days would go up a size or two on windy days, like 4's to 2's or even to BB's & reduce the shooting distance at times. Steel is very wind shy & increasing size further complicates the already critical pattern density problem. Pellet energy is a poor substitute for pattern density. A steel #4 will kill at 40 yds. if you believe the numbers we are given. Brister said the average duck is killed at about 35 yds. so maybe steel is not so bad for the average duck with adequate pattern coverage, provided it isn't very windy. There isn't much room for steel shot in a 20 ga. hull. The term "kill" used here means killing consistently & excludes the freak or lucky shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 am 
Utility Grade

footballtime wrote:
My son shoots a 20 gauge auto and uses both Hevimetal
and Speed Ball 3" loads with unreal success

I used hevimetal 3" 4's this past season and really did well with them
they hit hard and the range was very impressive with for a 20 gauge