It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions for a new gun
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

Hello,

Last year I hunted with my Model 37 all year, ducks, grouse and deer. I sold it just before Christmas to fund another project and am now thinking of getting another hunting shotgun.

I am looking at a do all gun, one I can hunt grouse, ducks and deer with. Must meet these criteria:

1. Must be light enough to carry up to 10kms per day (sorry live in Canada, about 6.25 miles) while grouse or deer hunting

2. No pumps, over/under or auto only, sick of pump guns thanks.

3. Must be reliable with average hunting loads of 2.75" pheasant loads for grouse up to 3" waterfowl loads.

4. Must be high quality and long lasting. I hate cheap plastic and like quality guns that last long.

5. Under $2500 CAN.

That is all. I have thought about Browning Citori or Browning autos or Benelli autos, can't make up my mind however.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a new gun
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

FLYBYU44 wrote:
1. Must be light enough to carry up to 10kms per day (sorry live in Canada, about 6.25 miles) while grouse or deer hunting

What weight is that, to you, in pounds?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:27 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry should have specified that, I would be fine with a gun up to 7.5lbs. Essentially like my M37 (it was closer to 7lbs) except not a pump gun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I don't follow Canadian pricing, but a Remington V3 is 7-1/4 lbs., $750 in the U.S. in camo or walnut, your choice, and has a lifetime written warranty. The black synthetic is less.

It is already drilled and tapped, using the same base as the Versa Max, so if you want to use an optic for deer and / or turkey, that's easy enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
I don't follow Canadian pricing, but a Remington V3 is 7-1/4 lbs., $750 in the U.S. in camo or walnut, your choice, and has a lifetime written warranty. The black synthetic is less.

It is already drilled and tapped, using the same base as the Versa Max, so if you want to use an optic for deer and / or turkey, that's easy enough.

Have you shot the Remington at all Randy? I follow your youtube channel actually but can't remember seeing it on there. How is the build quality? I like the warranty, but sending guns back for work in Canada can be a extremely painful and time consuming experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

FLYBYU44 wrote:
Have you shot the Remington at all Randy?

Are you serious? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I have no doubt the V3 is a workhorse of a shotgun. However, it's not a great looking shotgun, not when compared to the fine lines of a Beretta or Browning. On the other hand, you won't mind carrying the V3 through the fields or cringe if you get a scratch on it.

$2,500 CAD is about $1,840 USD. You can get a really nice semi auto for that... or a V3 and a lot of ammo and hunting gear.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:58 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
FLYBYU44 wrote:
Have you shot the Remington at all Randy?

Are you serious? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha! Right on, I will watch those, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:09 am 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
I have no doubt the V3 is a workhorse of a shotgun. However, it's not a great looking shotgun, not when compared to the fine lines of a Beretta or Browning. On the other hand, you won't mind carrying the V3 through the fields or cringe if you get a scratch on it.

$2,500 CAD is about $1,840 USD. You can get a really nice semi auto for that... or a V3 and a lot of ammo and hunting gear.

I am kind of looking for a nice shotgun, that can be used for ducks or upland birds. I am not very concerned about it being the cheapest option, or the best option for deer or geese as it will see very little use in that capacity. I will likely buy a deer rifle before fall as well, but if I don't the shotgun will have to cover that as well. I really would like a quality gun that is reliable first and foremost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:23 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

In the fashion plate contest, the plasticy, fake wood, cheesy colored-reciever Berettas look pretty sad. Add in the pogo stick buttstock, it goes downhill from there. There is little mesmerizingly beautiful about a Maxus, either.

A Fabarm L4S is best finished autoloader out there. You get to choose your desired level of bling. The Initial Hunter is $1250 retail in the U.S.

Yes, I have actually shot an L4S as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:30 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
In the fashion plate contest, the plasticy, fake wood, cheesy colored-reciever Berettas look pretty sad. Add in the pogo stick buttstock, it goes downhill from there. There is little mesmerizingly beautiful about a Maxus, either.

A Fabarm L4S is best finished autoloader out there. You get to choose your desired level of bling. The Initial Hunter is $1250 retail in the U.S.

Fabarms are nice guns, I have owned one in the past, unfortunately almost zero support here in Canada if something did go wrong, as there are only two dealers that I have found that stock them and one of the two I refuse to purchase anything from.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

For what it's worth, I've had good luck the last 10 years with the Beretta 391 Sporter. I'm pretty hard on these and I use them for all Waterfowl, Turkey and large upland birds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Beretta A-400 Xplor with bronze receiver with Kick Off. About 7 lbs.
The one Randy is bad mouthing (again)!
I currently own 6 and am VERY pleased with all of them!s

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:39 am 
Crown Grade

I prefer the older AL390 & 391, they're similar to the A400 but less plastic.

My friend's A300 (in wood) has been bulletproof, too - we shoot clays most weekends and he won't clean it... he's got close to 1,000 rounds on it now and I'm begging him to break it down for a cleaning. No shooting issues, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:41 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dr Duk wrote:

Why would you have six, did you lose the bet?

It isn't spurious "bad-mouthing," it is merely that I quite sincerely do not like them.

It isn't without reasons, I have plenty. I don't like the fake wood that is impossible to touch up or match, I don't like the cheap machining, ugly welds, I don't like the prolific use of plastic, and I really have a tremendous distaste for the cheap pogo stick feel, another piece that is plastic, prone to breakage, and makes even minor stockwork difficult. It is also sorely overpriced, with extra barrels at an insane $799. When your Kick-Off unit pukes, there goes another $320. It is just what the world doesn't need: a gas gun that kicks so badly you want to stick a pogo stick into it.

It is a giant, astonishing advance to the rear from Beretta 302s, 303s, Browning B-80s, and 390s that I've enjoyed for decades that are far, far better built and assembled guns . . . with metal trigger guards, metal safeties, and authentic walnut.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:51 am 
Limited Edition

Aaaaaammeeeeeen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:51 am 
Limited Edition

Aaaaaammeeeeeen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

Why would you have six, did you lose the bet?

It isn't spurious "bad-mouthing," it is merely that I quite sincerely do not like them.

It isn't without reasons, I have plenty. I don't like the fake wood that is impossible to touch up or match, I don't like the cheap machining, ugly welds, I don't like the prolific use of plastic, and I really have a tremendous distaste for the cheap pogo stick feel, another piece that is plastic, prone to breakage, and makes even minor stockwork difficult. It is also sorely overpriced, with extra barrels at an insane $799. When your Kick-Off unit pukes, there goes another $320. It is just what the world doesn't need: a gas gun that kicks so badly you want to stick a pogo stick into it.

It is a giant, astonishing advance to the rear from Beretta 302s, 303s, Browning B-80s, and 390s that I've enjoyed for decades that are far, far better built and assembled guns . . . with metal trigger guards, metal safeties, and authentic walnut.

2 Xcels, 12 &20
2 Xplor, 12 & 20
1 Xtreme
1 Xplor Unico
Several of the 12 ga guns have gone to Argentina and never had a FTF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm 
Field Grade

Benelli, choose from a M2. SBE II, or Super Vinci.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:46 am 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:

Or two guns. Not a fan of "do all" guns. Because they don't.