It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a new gun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think if I just had to pick one, and geese and high volume clays weren't on the menu, I would go with the Benelli Montefeltro. Fantastic reliability, descent wood, light and quick to carry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

Had the day off work, wife was working and kids in school, so a trip to the gun counter was in order. I handled all the guns I have been thinking of, surprisingly many fit me well. But by far my favorite was the Benelli SBE2, which surprised me as it was pretty far down the list initially. But it is light, feels very balanced, and just plain fit. The Citori was much more beautiful, fit me well, but swung like a railway timber, I tried all the over/unders, but they all felt awkward to me. The autos are much nicer. The plastic stock of the SBE2 might not be beautiful, but it should be more durable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think getting a SBE would be a great choice. I have the M1 which is a great do all gun, and come back to it from almost every other gun I get. Also like the M2 and montefeltro but I like benellis.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

I was gonna suggest a M2 also. A montefeltro if you like wood. A 390/391 beretta or a winchester SX3 if you don't mind buying a used gun. I use a old M, i also prefer all metal vs plastic parts. I use it for everything. Very versitile workhorse gun.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 pm 
Field Grade

I am going to make a case that the Browning maxus is the best waterfowl shotgun on the market. For starters it shoots 2 3/4, 3 & 3.1/2. The gun only weighs 7lbs and is very reliable. Some may say the inertia action is better because you don't have to clean it as often. What do you have against a clean gun? I clean my maxus once a year unless it gets unusually dirty or wet and I have never had a problem. Plus the action is very simple to clean. Not quite as easy as the inertia action but still only takes about 10 minutes to clean.

The maxus is very soft shooting and has innovations that no other gun manufacturers have like the speed loading system and magazine cutoff. I guess a few other are coming out with the magazine cutoff but that is not a new design for the maxus. The new wicked wing version goes even further and incorporates a larger bolt release and bolt handle for gloved hands.

The price is right, on slick guns right now the maxusstalker is $1,044 and the mosgb version is $100 more. Browning will have another rebate soon and that gun will be $100 less.

I prefer the soft shooting maxus over the kick of my SBE II. I also prefer the slim forearm of the maxus to the versa max or v3. When you consider all of the factors, including price ($2,000 SBE III), the browning maxus is the best waterfowl gun on the market. Unless you use a magazine extension. Personally I like the speed lock forearm.

I realize the manufactured chokes are not good quality but I bought a set of Turlock chokes and I am very happy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 pm 
Field Grade

Well I guess I should update you all. I found a used SBE2 for very cheap with some aftermarket Kicks chokes. I have shot it several times and it is beautiful, shoots very light target loads up to big 3.5 shells with zero issues and very little recoil. Shot a 24/25 personal best in trap with it last weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

FLYBYU44 wrote:
Well I guess I should update you all. I found a used SBE2 for very cheap with some aftermarket Kicks chokes. I have shot it several times and it is beautiful, shoots very light target loads up to big 3.5 shells with zero issues and very little recoil. Shot a 24/25 personal best in trap with it last weekend.

Sounds like a great deal on a very nice SG ! Thanks for your update !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 am 
Utility Grade

IMO, you can never go wrong with the Benelli family of guns