It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which choke?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

In a 12ga. shooting 3" BB's, 1&1/4 oz. load, 1400 fps and hunting Canada geese over decoys, what would be the best choke to use? I.C., L.M., or Mod?

Post subject: Re: Which choke?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:12 pm 
Crown Grade

The one which gives you the pattern you want at the distance you expect to shoot. Depending on the gun, the shell, and the distance I anticipate shooting any of those chokes could be chosen.

I would probably choke tighter rather than loose as I feel it to be less a disadvantage at close range than an open choke at long. i tend to plan for the worst case as I can better compensate if conditions work out in my favor. Others have greater reason for optimism and gear up differently. You will have to decide for yourself the correct choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

870 -- I agree with ugly. Short of not having time to pattern before you go, I would probably use the LM.

Here are few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get from those constrictions/chokes. As you can see, if they are in the decoys (< 40 yards) it probably doesn't matter!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 3" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #BB STEEL (85 PELLETS) 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS
IC / Pattern 61 (72%)
LM / Pattern 69 (81%)
M / Pattern 70 (82%)

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Please check out Muller Chokes
www.mullerchokes.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jimmy Muller wrote:
http://www.mullerchokes.com

This doesn't answer his question

Without knowing what gun, I am going to go with the LM recommendation as well. That is my favorite choke in several different guns, from a SBE II to a Browning Silver.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Darryle wrote:
Jimmy Muller wrote:

Without knowing what gun, I am going to go with the LM recommendation as well. That is my favorite choke in several different guns, from a SBE II to a Browning Silver.

Gun is a L.H. Benelli M1 with the ber./ben.(mobile choke) system. The chokes I am using are Carlson's extended chokes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Then I would definitely start with the light mod and be prepared to switch to the Mod or I/C depending on how the birds react. I think you will be happy with the LM though.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I use IC for ducks and geese.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Another vote for light modified. Open enough for 20 yards and tight enough for 40 yards. That is generally the distance most of my shots are taken at.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:54 pm 
Field Grade

Take a look at the Hevishot Mid Range Waterfowl Extended
Choke.....it would be perfect for your hunting scenario

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

870-LEFTY wrote:
Darryle wrote:
Jimmy Muller wrote:

Gun is a L.H. Benelli M1 with the ber./ben.(mobile choke) system. The chokes I am using are Carlson's extended chokes.

Since you already have great chokes ignore the pro staff guys. I personally would use the standard Modified and pick the shots well. If they are in your face, head/neck shoot them. Follow up shots hit the front half. Using the more open IC works great for body shooting when they are feet down floating into the decoys. #1 steel will also give more hits if your head/neck shooting. Even #2 work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Another vote for a tighter choke.I got a Carlson extended range for my Winchester sxp they call it a full it's .710
Big difference over the factory mod. With Remington regulars #4 shot 3 inch was tight deadly pattrrn at 35 yds. All I had for bb was black cloud bb 3 inch. Was a lot better than factory mod but still not as tight as I would like.
A longtime goose hunter told me a full choke and Remington hypers or heavy metal at 40 yds kills them all day long.

I bought a 10 gauge to try out for next season. If I was buying another 12 choke ID go with the terror .675 and #2 shot would be deadly.

Finding a 12g/choke/amo combo that patterns larger shot nicely seems to be tough to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Large shot tends to patern more evenly from a more open choke. Shoot some paper with your factory chokes first. Skip the full. If you are shooting birds under 40 yards IC should be good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:04 am 
Field Grade

For decoying geese, I would suggest a Mid Range Hevishot waterfowl
choke with the Crio threads for your Benelli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:25 pm 
Crown Grade

uglydog wrote:
The one which gives you the pattern you want at the distance you expect to shoot. Depending on the gun, the shell, and the distance I anticipate shooting any of those chokes could be chosen.

I would probably choke tighter rather than loose as I feel it to be less a disadvantage at close range than an open choke at long. i tend to plan for the worst case as I can better compensate if conditions work out in my favor. Others have greater reason for optimism and gear up differently. You will have to decide for yourself the correct choice.

I would tend to agree with this post ^ completely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 pm 
Utility Grade

To bad I can't upload a pic. Heavy metal BB 3.5 shell threw a deadly pattern at 40yds with the Carlson .710 extended range. Same pattern as the factory steel mod in my bps 10 gauge with BB at 40 yds. Very impressed with the carlson. Makes the factory sxp chokes almost laughable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 am 
Field Grade

I agree about the Hevimetal...try an Extended Range Hevishot Waterfowl choke
with it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Im a mod guy...really like to hit em hard if possible. Patternmaster is solid if you are not shooting black cloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

footballtime wrote:
For decoying geese, I would suggest a Mid Range Hevishot waterfowl
choke with the Crio threads for your Benelli

Crio thread doesn't fit M1, M1 uses the Mobil choke.

Pattern your gun at different ranges with your goose loads and take a IC and a light mod. IC generally shoot pretty tight with large shot. I use a patternmaster not because i think its the best patterning but I can change my pattern with the shell easily. 4s shoot big patterns for close work on small ducks, BBBs shoot tight for pass shooting geese and 3" #3s shoot a good mid range patterns for most of my hunting. IMHO most guys are over choked with steel. My buddy Mick has shot over 1000 geese in his long very well documented hunting seasons and he shoots IC and nothing but.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 am 
Field Grade

moparguy55 wrote:
To bad I can't upload a pic. Heavy metal BB 3.5 shell threw a deadly pattern at 40yds.

that is a perfect goose combination for sure