It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: re: Best all-around duck round?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Worc wrote:
...Bwollfe asked for opinions of the best all around duck load. I believe he is looking for everyones opinion. I don't think he asked for the best load from a scientific study.... In fact his criteria is this:
Quote:
Price, value, range, reliability, etc...
and
Quote:
What's your opinion on the best all-around shot shell for ducks? Both passing shots and over dekes?

Based from the criteria I choose HV steel #2.

O.k., you make a good point. (Although your tone left something to be desired, thus the elipses.) I jumped to the conclusion that Bwolfe was more like me, while you concluded that he was more like you. I shrug at opinions and study scientific papers. You shrug at scientific papers and prefer the first-hand experience of peers. I have no problem with that, and you appear to have been correct about Bwolfe's intent.

If you're still out there wolf-man check out this poll I posted a while back on "Which Nontoxic Will You Use This Fall":
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=78130

-Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Fish Springs wrote:
Price, value, range, reliability, etc...

.22 Long Rifle :lol:

If you think thats something, you should have a go with those 17s. Nice flat trajectory. Just make sure you head shoot em.

Post subject: re: Best all-around duck round?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:11 pm 

Quote:
(Although your tone left something to be desired, thus the elipses.)

My tone should be interpited as straight foward. I do not take responsibality for how anyone reacts to my posts. I think you are a good member and my intent is not to gang up on you through any partnerships. Nor do I critze someone's shooting ability or hunting stlye/s.

Quote:
You shrug at scientific papers and prefer the first-hand experience of peers.

Close, but it's from my own first hand experience or those that I share a blind with. I would not have it any other way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Worc wrote:
My tone should be interpited as straight foward.
Ya'know, lookin' back over the actual posts, I think I went wrong on my interpretation of some people's intent, including yours, Worc. I apologize. (And Lakenut, I accept your apology. Thanks.) That having been said, this wasn't a teeny bit of a cheap shot on your part, Worc?:
Quote:
I don't think he asked for the best load from a scientific study or what is the most expensive load.
As you are so fond of saying, I never said that.

-Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

I feel a group hug coming on. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:09 pm 

Quote:
As you are so fond of saying, I never said that.

Never said you did, just throwing out some examples of what the original poster did not list out as criteria.

Quote:
That having been said, this wasn't a teeny bit of a cheap shot on your part, Worc?:

Not at all. I'm just stating how I approch load selections. Just because someone else does it differently does not make mine better than theirs or vice versa. I'll say one of the most important things that I have learned since I first started waterfowling twenty eight seasons ago is that what works for someone else, may not work for me. While it's fine to get advice from others or to look at studies for a starting point. It's up to each person to find what works best for themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lakenut wrote:
I feel a group hug coming on. :oops:
:lol: For some reason I've had a lot of cyber-debates end that way lately.

Worc wrote:
I'll say one of the most important things that I have learned since I first started waterfowling twenty eight seasons ago is that what works for someone else, may not work for me.
:o 28 years? That basically puts you up in the Tom Roster category as experience goes. You go back to the days of lead, easily! How come we never hear much about the variety of loads you have shot over the course of that career and how they compare to each other? There's a lot of relative newbees here like me that never got to kill ducks with lead....
(That's my way of saying, "tell us a story 'bout the good-old-days, grandpa.")

-Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:59 pm 

Quote:
28 years? That basically puts you up in the Tom Roster category as experience goes. You go back to the days of lead, easily! How come we never hear much about the variety of loads you have shot over the course of that career and how they compare to each other? There's a lot of relative newbees here like me that never got to kill ducks with lead....
(That's my way of saying, "tell us a story 'bout the good-old-days, grandpa.")

Ohhh that hurts. I think roster is in his fifties, as in old guy. I'm forty and started when I was twelve (shooting birds myself). My first year was the first year Michigan banned lead for waterfowl. I got to watch my dad and older brother spit lead at ducks when I went along with them. All I have even known for waterfowl is steel. I guess that's OK as loads have only gotten better through the years for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wow. Oklahoma went to steel in 1989 or 90 if I recall. I guess some states went earlier. I got in some hunts in the lead days. Never shot anything over 1 1/4 oz for ducks. Lots of 1 1/8 oz #6s and when the birds decoyed well 7.5s. #4s were considered heavy long range shells for ducks. Nothing fancy about the loads either. You went to the store and bought regular old "duck and phesant" loads. I still have a box with the price tag on it. A whoping $6.83 for a box of 25. I never recall every hearing about muzzle velocity of a load either. The step up from the standard duck and phesant load would have been a magnum load.

My dad duck hunted in the 50s, 60s, and 70s a lot. He had two guns. M36 feather 16 ga and a spanish 10 ga SXS. The 16 would kill ducks all day just the same as a 12. The only reason he had the 10 was for hunting big water late in the season. Even then he seldom shot the 3.5" shell. Mostly the 2 7/8" shell as the 3.5" was too much. Not many people today realize the 10 came in such a length.

Steel isn't lead....but today's loads aren't too far off to justify $3.00 a shot for Hevi shot.

Ahh...the good old days :cry: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been waterfowlin for 28 yrs as well.
Although i took about a 6 yr break in there somewhere,so i guess
22 seasons.
I've hunted em with lead, back in the winchester-western
"duck and pheasant" load days with the plastic shot wrap, and the fiber wads.
Ah' yes, the memories.
and huntin pheasant with my dad's 10ga SxS with handloaded
2 7/8" shells on a lee handloader as a teenager, that gun was heavy,but it sure swung smooth.
good times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let me see and back to the Best Round

Winchester Drylock 2 and 3's
if you want steel and the box of 25

Remington Hevi Shot 4 and 6 for duck and 2's for goose.

The 1300 - 1350 fps stuff kills with one shot - I bet I shoot 8 out 10 with this HS stuff and 90% of those are one shot kills and almost no cripples.

The other morning the dog RACED out to get a cripple from my buddies shot as he hadnt seen one in a pretty long time from that blind :D :D !

I worked some mallards around and into the decoys for my neighbor to shoot a drake. I wasnt going to shoot. He fired 1 shot and missed and then his gun hung up. Although the birds were now swinging outside the 40 yd stake I brought the Extrema 2 to bear and fired twice killing two drakes. He said WOW - those birds dropped DEAD! Then I remembered that I had 2 3.5 inch Hevi Shot 2's in the gun from some geese that had been headed our way right before we got the mallards working. Did I say this is good stuff??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TexasRider wrote:
Although the birds were now swinging outside the 40 yd stake I brought the Extrema 2 to bear and fired twice killing two drakes. He said WOW - those birds dropped DEAD! Then I remembered that I had 2 3.5 inch Hevi Shot 2's in the gun from some geese that had been headed our way right before we got the mallards working. Did I say this is good stuff??

I did that once,i shot at a flock, gun was empty ,then another one of em came back, prettyfar shot, i grabbed the first shell i could,
didn't know at teh time it was a hevi #2 i kept in easy reach for geese.Stoned the thing at probably 50 yds if it was an inch,
turned out to be a Banded $100 Greenhead :)
Actually it was a $98.70 greenhead, the shell cost $1.30 :wink: