It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New bird hunter, can y'all help with shotgun selection?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:42 am 
Presentation Grade

Many of the new 12 gauge semis are very light. A light semi with a 26" barrel is a very versatile gun. On pheasants I prefer a 12 as nontoxic shot is required in some of the places I go and 3"#3 steel does a good job at a affordable price. Just food for thought. I have used the same benelli M1 for years. I have acquired 3 barrels for it over the years. A 24" most of my upland hunting (lite), 28" for crows, pigeons, dove, waterfowl and a 21" for turkey hunting. I wish I had a second so I had a matching pair.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Hmmm...I'm jealous. I love the WRR...great place to live..down near the Hobacks or farther South near Pinedale? I'm heading to Driggs next month to visit my son and I plan to poke around on the Wyoming side while I'm there. I'm thinking ahead to next fall for a speed goat hunt.

If I had only one affordable gun to use for small game and waterfowl it would be a Remington 870 12 gauge. I used one for years for ducks, geese, turkey, crows, grouse etc. I tend to worry about the finish on my guns so I prefer to use a gun that I'm not afraid to scratch up...consequently I used an 870 express that I camo'd...a bit heavy but when I changed to a synthetic stock it lightened up quite a bit. my Wingmaster (an early 60's model) is used in good weather and when I'm not crawling on the ground or plowing through heavy brush.
After years of using the 870 I switched to a semi-auto. I bought a Win SX3 that I absolutely love. It's a great fitting and very soft shooting gun. With the pump I could frequently shoot doubles but I was never successful with triples. With the SX3 that all changed...I'm now disappointed if each shell doesn't drop a bird when the opportunity is there... the Rem V3 seems to be getting lot's of good press...you might also take a look at that.
For upland birds I tend to use my Win 101 over and under or my Lefever Nitro 16 gauge....
I own CZ rifles and to repeat what has already been said about CZ service...it's terrific. Markedly better than Rem or Win.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Welcome to Wyoming, an outdoorsmen' paradise.
I live in Wyoming and hunt big game, upland birds and waterfowl. My choice of shotguns for upland bird hunting has evolved over a lifetime of experience and I prefer a SxS with 2 triggers and 2 chokes, stocked straight with a splinter fore piece in 16 Gauge. I shoot 3/4 oz., 7/8 oz., 1 oz., and 1 1/8 oz. loads reloaded in all brass hulls. I shoot a SA 12 Gauge for waterfowl.

I shot a pair of 20 Ga. BSS SxS' for over 30 years before switching to the 16, which is a lighter much better handling gun and throws outstanding patterns from my brass hull reloads.
This pic shows a limit of Chuker, a 20 Ga. BSS one of a pair that I shot for over 30 years and Emily my now deceased Brittany.

The shotgun is my favorite, a 16 Ga. #2 AyA brass hulls in thee foreground.
This pic is of Annie my French Brittany, the AyA and 3 pheasant.

Below are loaded RMC all brass hulls that throw the best patterns that I have ever witnessed in a lifetime of shooting.

I recognize that my experiences and preferences may not parallel yours and I suggest that you try as many shotguns that you can before buying as you just may find your dream gun. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 am 
Tournament Grade

wyobirds wrote:
Welcome to Wyoming, an outdoorsmen' paradise.
I live in Wyoming and hunt big game, upland birds and waterfowl. My choice of shotguns for upland bird hunting has evolved over a lifetime of experience and I prefer a SxS with 2 triggers and 2 chokes, stocked straight with a splinter fore piece in 16 Gauge. I shoot 3/4 oz., 7/8 oz., 1 oz., and 1 1/8 oz. loads reloaded in all brass hulls. I shoot a SA 12 Gauge for waterfowl.

I shot a pair of 20 Ga. BSS SxS' for over 30 years before switching to the 16, which is a lighter much better handling gun and throws outstanding patterns from my brass hull reloads.
This pic shows a limit of Chuker, a 20 Ga. BSS one of a pair that I shot for over 30 years and Emily my now deceased Brittany.

The shotgun is my favorite, a 16 Ga. #2 AyA brass hulls in thee foreground.
This pic is of Annie my French Brittany, the AyA and 3 pheasant.

Below are loaded RMC all brass hulls that throw the best patterns that I have ever witnessed in a lifetime of shooting.

I recognize that my experiences and preferences may not parallel yours and I suggest that you try as many shotguns that you can before buying as you just may find your dream gun. Good Luck.

Nice pictures , good looking dogs there .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Thank you Ron.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Randy shoots a lot too and speaks from experience

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Love the pictures WYO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 am 
Diamond Grade

67G, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to 307 country! I, like Wyo, have become accustomed to twice the barrels, and twice the chokes. I live in SW Wyoming just across the border from Idaho.

If you're looking at cz, I'd suggest a bobwhite. $600, reliable, and good handling. I have owned several cz's, and still currently own a bobwhite in .410. They are a little heavier, and not as refined as others that I've owned, but they kill birds, and always go bang. Always. Great value, and great shooting.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 am 
Tournament Grade

uplanddan wrote:
Welcome to 307 country! I, like Wyo, have become accustomed to twice the barrels, and twice the chokes. I live in SW Wyoming just across the border from Idaho.

If you're looking at cz, I'd suggest a bobwhite. $600, reliable, and good handling. I have owned several cz's, and still currently own a bobwhite in .410. They are a little heavier, and not as refined as others that I've owned, but they kill birds, and always go bang. Always. Great value, and great shooting.

Good luck.

Good info on the CZ . What all birds you hunting mainly , quail or pheasant or dove . Any waterfowl ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I hunt ducks once or twice a year(unless I visit my cousin in Arkansas, then 3 times).

I hunt ruffed, blue/dusky, and sage grouse mainly. I have hunted dove and chuks on occasion, but in my neck of the woods it's mostly grouse in the timber.
I travel to Powell and Lander on occasion for pheasant, but I prefer to be in the timber. I've hunted pheasant and quail for the first couple of decades in the Midwest where I grew up. Sometimes I go to Pierre, SD for phez, sometimes AZ for quail....

But, in general around home here, grouse is king. I have grown to prefer it above all else!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Jakeismydog2 wrote:
I have a real nice Remington 11-87 premier I don't use anymore. I would say it's 2x the gun of any Turkish semi auto except the SA-08 which is a good value. I would sell you the 11-87 for $400 with original plastic case and choke tubes. It will do everything you are wanting it to do and do it all very well. PM me if you are interested.

Is the 11-87 Still available, what gauge is it?

Thanks,
Bob

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Don't choose a shotgun by looking at pictures and reading reviews. A shotgun has to fit the shooter in order for the shooter to shoot it to potential. Go to some stores and shoulder various guns to see which ones fit you best. Better yet, go to a sporting clays or skeet field that has rentals and try a few guns, to see which one you shoot best.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

One gun= Semi Auto.
I prefer Beretta. Used A-400 Xplor or A-300

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
One gun= Semi Auto.
I prefer Beretta. Used A-400 Xplor or A-300

That green 3.5" gun with KO weighing 7# can handle everything from quail to geese. Mine handles my 3/4 oz reloads just like my blue smurf gun.....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Now, if I lived back out West (N. NV), and all I focused on was bird hunting, a 16 gauge like Wyo has would be the ticket - especially if it was a nice DMB weighing 6#4oz - what a 28 or 20 might weigh.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 pm 
Field Grade

Bob22 wrote:
Jakeismydog2 wrote:
I have a real nice Remington 11-87 premier I don't use anymore. I would say it's 2x the gun of any Turkish semi auto except the SA-08 which is a good value. I would sell you the 11-87 for $400 with original plastic case and choke tubes. It will do everything you are wanting it to do and do it all very well. PM me if you are interested.

Is the 11-87 Still available, what gauge is it?

Thanks,
Bob

Nope I sold it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:01 pm 
Field Grade

Benelli Ultra Light 12 gauge. I don't own one because I own too many shotguns. Wait, is that possible? Anyway, if you can only own one gun and you will be hunting upland birds this is a great choice. Ultra reliable and only 6 pounds. If you want to shoot clays it won't hammer you with light loads and you can blast ducks with 3" mags all while owning a well made shotgun you can carry all day long.