It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Georgia youth weekend turkey season
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Took a young lady and her dad for the youth turkey season yesterday. It was amazing! 5 birds gobbling. Great cool morning with no Mosquitos. The hens came in first, fed and tried to leave. I called and started aggravating them. The boss hen came in and started fighting her buddies. It was a show! Toms are still gobbling! After doing this twice I finally see a large white head stick out of the bushes. No one move at all! He was examining the area. After about ten minutes the bush seems to turn black as he walked out of it. His head turned bright blue and he was in love! Right behind him was his buddy. Another nice tom. I called a few times just to get him excited and then he couldn't stand it. The old bird came in. Rather than fighting my tom decoy that was much smaller the him he decided to stay pretty and blue headed and take away my tom's lady, but the ole rubber gal wouldn't budge. He would spit, drum, dance and shake his feathers. Tom strutted like the nature boy himself and would walk away about ten yards and look at he as if saying "c'mon baby why aren't you going with me?" He would do it again. The third time he finally turned the opposite way towards the decoys and put his big spread out fan between his eyes and us. She lifted the gun but he was still looking for love. I hit a few cuts at him, he put his fan down, gobbled and poked his head up. Boom! The young lady made a perfect shot! Her dad hugged her as he fought back the tears and we all high celebrated. She had been going for a few years with different guides and finally rocked her first bird. I had turned this day into a jakes event with my local NWTF chapter and bought a brand new shotgun for whoever shot the biggest bird. 4 great birds were killed out of the 15 kids we took county wide. I got a phone call later that day telling me our gal had shot the largest bird. She was too excited. The boys not so much. A few of them even cried that a girl had beaten them. It was a great day for sure

Post subject: Re: Georgia youth weekend turkey season
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Enjoyed that, Galaxie! Thanks!

W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 am 
Limited Edition

Great read.
I appreciate your efforts to get youths into the field!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great story I can visualize being right there with yall. Glad to hear some one took the time to be with kids. Thanks for sharing.