It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideal grouse / woodcock gun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 am 
Presentation Grade

What specs , in your opinion , should the ideal grouse / woodcock gun have ?

Post subject: Re: Ideal grouse / woodcock gun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Gauge: 12 to 28
Choke(s): SK, IC, M.....any combination in a double
Weight: 5 3/4# to 7 1/2#
Barrel: One or two
Barrel Orientation, if two: SxS or O/U
Barrel Length: 24" to 28"(single); 26" to 30" (double)
Trigger: One or two
Stock: WOOD
Stock Dimensions: Whatever works best for the individual situation
Recoil pad: eh, who cares?...it would be ok....same as for rib design
Name of maker or model: unimportant, if the shotgun works sufficiently well

Absolute requirement for a ruffed grouse or woodcock shotgun: worn blue and scratches.
Nice requirement: A family history delivering that worn blue and those scratches

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am 
Utility Grade

I just went through all the research on picking a new grouse and woodcock gun for Wisconsin to begin my journey of bird hunting with my new French Brittany pup. I decided it had to be not too heavy for carrying all day but not so light that I dreaded shooting three inch shells out of it. I wanted a gun that would be between six and seven pounds. I wanted a barrel that was short enough to keep from getting hung up in the thick stuff and be good for snap shooting, but yet not be so short I couldn't have a nice swing with it if I got one of those rare crossing shots out in the open. I reasoned that three shots wasn't as important to me as two chokes because I wasn't as likely to get three good shots as often as I would need two different chokes to properly spread the pattern as the bird increased distance from me after the first shot. Gauge was a little less important because of all the different available loads, but I felt like day in and day out for grouse and woodcock, a 20 gauge was more than adequate with less chance of ruining meat on relatively small birds that aren't particularly tough. A 16 gauge would have been sweet but I wanted a gauge where I wasn't as likely to run into problems finding reasonably priced ammunition, especially in the pinch.

Having typed all that, I opted for a Browning Citori White Lightning 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels. I think it weighs in at around 6 pounds, 7 ounces. I currently have it choked with skeet and improved cylinder. As the leaves drop, and if I notice shots are tending longer, I may switch to improved cylinder and modified. So that's my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For me, it is an O/U in 20 or 28 gauge with 28" or 30" barrels. I know that shorter barrels are all the rage, but not for me. I can't shoot a SxS as well as an O/U either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

A gun the fits well, points well, patterns well.........that about sums it up, everything else a personal choice, for me a 20GA 1963 Wingmaster.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Whatever gauge you like. 16 for me. Two barrels. One cylinder and one mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a good candidate in my safe. Its an old '33 Merkel 12 gauge 200E (over & under). Based on the honest wear I can only imagine the birds and places it's seen before my own additions. 27.5 " Cyl/IC barrels, straight stock, twin triggers, and a very manageable 6 1/4 pound weight. Just my opinion of course, but I can't think of anything better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:05 am 
Utility Grade

I used another guy's spare over/under with a double trigger one day on a Kansas pheasant hunt. Never again. Couldn't get used to that double trigger and it cost me a couple of birds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thinblueline wrote:
I used another guy's spare over/under with a double trigger one day on a Kansas pheasant hunt. Never again. Couldn't get used to that double trigger and it cost me a couple of birds.

It's simply a matter of a little practice. My wife's semi-auto (given to her son) and first SxS (sold) were single trigger guns. When she started shooting my 28 gauge SxS with double triggers it took about 2 boxes of shells for her to have double triggers down pat. Her primary gun is now a 16 gauge SxS with double triggers - she says she'll never go back to single trigger guns. She shot 50 sporting clays with a friend and me Wednesday and then went to a different course and shot 100 yesterday with another woman - I was "uninvited". She'll shoot lots more next weekend at the Vintage Gunners Cup in MD.

She also has no problem with double triggers on driven pheasants and flushing quail; she's not about to let dinner get away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Double triggers take a little familiarization. They are not for everybody just like some people have trouble with a stick shift. Most people can pick it up in a round or two of clays.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 am 
Tournament Grade

longislandloco wrote:
A gun the fits well, points well, patterns well.........that about sums it up, everything else a personal choice, for me a 20GA 1963 Wingmaster.

I agree. Over the years I've used Semi-autos, pumps, sxs and o/u, 12,16 and 20 ga.
I prefer 20 ga sxs with 26" barrels.
If I can make out this year ( I'll have back surgery on 9-25 ) it will be with my New Browning A5 Sweet 16 26".

Last edited by bearman49709 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:56 am 
Utility Grade

bearman49709 wrote:
longislandloco wrote:

I agree. Over the years I've used Semi-autos, pumps, sxs and o/u, 12,16 and 20 ga.
I prefer 20 ga sxs with 26" barrels.
If I can make out this year ( I'll have back surgery on 9-26 ) it will be with my New Browning A5 Sweet 16 26".

I had narrowed my choice down to my 20 gauge Citori with 26" barrels, and the exact same gun you went with, the new sweet 16 with a 26" barrel. In the end, I went with the citori because, well, I've wanted one my whole life, and I wanted two chokes. But I'll tell ya, that sweet 16 is one sweet gun that as someone said, felt great and pointed great. I'm quickly coming up on 50 years old and I don't know when I'll ever have enough money again to buy a shotgun in that price range, but if I ever do, that will be the one. The only other thing that spooked me off it was the generally costlier ammo, less variety of loads, and the possibility I could ever find myself suddenly needing a couple more boxes of ammo and not being able to find what I'm looking for in a store somewhere in the boonies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I prefer a 16 or 20 with no longer then 28" barrels and around 6 pounds. I have two A.H. Foxes that work for well for me. Although I am looking to get a 28 gauge at some point. Try several and see which feels best to you.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

First let me thank Mr. Multiflora for narrowing my choices down. Here's what I'm going with -- Browning A5 - an old one -- 16 gauge -- 25'' barrel counting Poly choke - rib installed by Poly Choke. What are your thoughts ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

WOOD DUCK wrote:
First let me thank Mr. Multiflora for narrowing my choices down. Here's what I'm going with -- Browning A5 - an old one -- 16 gauge -- 25'' barrel counting Poly choke - rib installed by Poly Choke. What are your thoughts ?

You are most welcome.

While waiting for you to receive the thoughts of others, I will note that one of my most favored scatterguns used for ruffed grouse/woodcock over the decades would be an Auto 5 Sweet 16 with a 26" barrel...I prefer to think 26" anyway.
Weight is at an even 6 3/4# loaded up with a couple of shells....shell color, being of the moment.
While Polychokes do not send me into either fits or convolutions, I do much prefer a simple IC.
Ribs tho, on an Auto 5, do make me twitch a bit and so I prefer a plain barrel or what Browning termed ...matted.
Actually, I might only consider that gun improved were it to be skeet choked....and then, as being supremely fickle, I would no doubt immediately wish it to be IC.

Woodcock quiver at the thought of that scattergun...ruffed grouse, being wiser and more worldly, likely just bend their beak into a smile and go about doing their thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

50 years of hunting them, lets see. First it should be a shotgun as I started with a 22. Back then a lot of kids did.
Shot them with duck guns, BP shotguns and 28 ga through 12. My latest acquisition is and O/U 28 ga as I like doubles. Had a light weight SA but just don't like SA's so we get into personal preference. As to the double choke thing, early season it is not necessary. My new O/U came with 5 chokes, one cylinder and one IC will be gracing it when I start out. AS the season goes on I will switch to a 20 ga SXS and possibly 1 1/8oz 3" hand loads or use my 16 SXS. Guns need to fit you and be right there when you pull up as the shots are often quick. As the season progresses I fine the needs change but a 20 or 16 would do for all season.

DEP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like a Citori straight stock gun with 26" barrels. Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes. I shoot a 12 gauge with #6, 1 1/4 ounce high brass loads for ruffed grouse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like a Citori straight stock gun with 26" barrels. Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes. I shoot a 12 gauge with #6, 1 1/4 ounce high brass loads for ruffed grouse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've been using a Browning superposed superlight in 20 ga choked sk / I/c with pretty good results. The old Belgian superlight is a sweet shooting unit.
This season I'm going to try out a new to me Grulla 216RB 20ga. This slim, trim piece of beauty has 28" barrels and handles like it's a part of me.

Can't wait.