Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester Long Beard vs Supreme vs S-X Turkey loads

8K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  kawaboy-zx11 
#1 ·
How does Winchesters newest Long Beard XR Shot-Lok Turkey load measure-up against the Supreme High-Velocity Turkey and the Super-X Turkey loads when it comes to patterning performance?

Pattering results are from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 26" barrel and a Remington Turkey Super Full Extended Choke (.063" constriction from bore gauge).

Pattern testing was done on 48" x 48" pattern sheets with a turkey head-and-neck target centered on each sheet. This turkey head-and-neck target provided an aim point and allowed for Skull/Cervical Vertebra Hit data for each pattern shot. The distance from muzzle to pattern was measured with a tape and then one pattern shot was fired at each of five pattern sheets with each load. Following the pattern shots, a 30" diameter pattern circle was centered over the densest portion of each pattern and the pellet strikes were counted. The five-shot average for pattern count, pattern percentage and S/CV Hits is shown in the figures below. Additionally, the in-shell pellet count is the average from five shells that were opened and counted.

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER LONG BEARD XR SHOT-LOK LEAD TURKEY LOAD
1 3/4 oz #5 lead (305 pellets, resin encased, copper coated) 1,200 fps
Remington Turkey Super Full Extended Choke (.063" constriction)
Distance -- 30" (%) / S/CV Hits
40 YARDS -- pattern 295 (97%) / 11.8
50 YARDS -- pattern 275 (90%) / 7.4

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER SUPREME HIGH-VELOCITY LEAD TURKEY LOAD
1 3/4 oz #5 lead (293 pellets, buffered, copper coated) 1,300 fps
40 YARDS -- pattern 257 (88%) / 5.8
50 YARDS -- pattern 170 (58%) / 2.0

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER SUPER-X LEAD TURKEY LOAD
1 7/8 oz #5 lead (317 pellets, buffered, copper coated) 1,210 fps
40 YARDS -- pattern 276 (87%) / 3.4
50 YARDS -- pattern 162 (51%) / 1.8

Now you can be the judge.

Good luck.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for doing all the dirty work again Joe. {hs# It sounds like the new XR loads are a huge improvement over the Supremes (which I have been using for several years). I may have to try a box now just to satisfy my own curiosity.

#5 ·
Picked up a box of 6s yesterday after seeing Joe's info.

I got them home and although I didn't get as technical as Joe, I did fire 2 rounds.

I fired them out through a factory ben/ber full choke.

Target 1 contained 18 hits in head and neck at "lasered" 40yrds. Target 2 had 15 hits in head and neck.

After seeing this, the Fed premiums have been removed from my turkey vest and replaced with the Win XRs.

Thanks Joe

#6 ·
I killed a turkey with a Mossberg 500 .662 heavey shot mag blend choke 3" #5 longbeards at 15 yards let's just say it wasn't pretty from wattles up it almost decaped him . I am very impressed with it .I just hope it don't make people get stupid and think they can make crazy long shots with it.

#12 ·
My son started using Long Beard XR and loves them. He has already gotten his limit for the year with 2 shots. Though we are overloaded with turkeys, the state won't let us bag but 2 bearded birds a year. He has been turkey hunting most of his life, he is 50 years old, and is the luckiest guy hunting I know of. He has tried many loads and other than the old Kent #4,#6, mixed load, no longer available, he loves the LB XR in #4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.