Shotgun Forum banner

Turkey loads

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rcleofly 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tried the Federal Premium 3rd Degree turkey loads? I'm very happy with my Winchester Double X, but I was reading about the 3rd Degree loads and I'm curious on how they perform. I find the shells to be an interesting and unique concept.

#5 ·
I shot the Double X, Long Beard and 3rd Degree today. I shot 15 yards, 30 yards and 45 yards. At 30 and 45 yards they all were pretty close to the same. I obviously wasn't able to measure how hard they hit but in a 10" circle the pellet count was within 5 or so. Without any of them having major gap issues except I shot high once lol. The big noticeable difference came at 15 yards. Both the Double X (I'm still going to continue to use cause I kill birds dead with it) and the Long Beard had very tight patterns. Witch could result in a miss. The 3rd Degree had a much larger close range pattern. The 3rd Degree did have a fewer pellet count out at 30 and 40 yards but not by many at all.

#7 ·
I was using 3" 1-3/4oz #5 with the exception the 3rd degree are 5,6,7. I shot my buddies Remington model 870 express, 28" barrel. With Primos Tightwad choke. He wanted to pattern the gun cause it's his first year using it. He is using the 3rd Degree.
Off to the side Randy I have a ton of respect for the work you do and I have learned a lot using your name in the Google search engine. Thank you for that. I'm not entirely sure what you mean in your post.

#8 ·
I don't blame Federal for trying yet another gimmicky load.

The 20% "Flightstopper" is worthless at long range, long out of the core of the pattern. It might "look" okay, but anytime you use smaller pellets it appears better. If you compare Longbeard #6 to 3rd Degree, 3rd Degree looks pretty sad.

#5 lead is better at breaking bones and better at 40 yards than #6 by no small measure, although on paper, sure, #6 has more pellets to begin with and looks more impressive, even if it is a comparatively poor load.

3rd Degree can kill turkeys, but so can dove loads depending on range. If it is a 20 yard shot, you don't need much of anything to kill a turkey. 3/4 oz. #6 shot 28 gauge works every time.

The compromise of 3rd Degree is past 40 yards, you lose killing ability, and that's where you need it . . . certainly not at 15 yards.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input. That makes a lot of sense. I called my buddy and explained what you said. He agreed it made sense. He is now planning on using the long beard lol. Turkey loads never seem to stop twisting me up. That's why I always just stick with what I'm confident in. Double X, 35 yards or less and I'm slitting my tag lol.

I enjoy federals gimmicky loads. I don't hunt with any federal waterfowl or turkey loads. But, I always find them fun to shoot and talk about lol. They really seem to get way outside the box. I bet I buy just as many boxes of federal loads as I do anything else lol. They always have my interest.

Thanks again for the your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.