It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas Dove Report
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone have a report of how the dove season is going in south or central Texas near Houston or San Antonio? I'm about to head out just west of San Antonio this week for the opening of the South zone.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Texas Dove Report
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 am 
Presentation Grade

The areas in South Zone near Hondo and Sabinal are loaded up with white wings right now. Hwy 90 is the dividing line between the central and south zone. After a few weeks of pressure in the central zone, the doves have flown across highway to feed in fields on the south side. There will be a lot of shooting going on this weekend! South zone opens Friday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:22 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input BigAL, that's great to hear! Last year it seemed like the birds were a little sparse on South zone opening weekend so it's definitely nice to hear that we may have a lot of birds flying.

We typically have been down near Pearsall but are headed a little further North this year with a 200 acre lease near D'Hanis. I'll get back to this thread and post an update once the birds have been cleaned and the whiskey has been drank! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

How was your hunt this weekend in D'Hanis?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:32 pm 
Field Grade

We ended up a little further East near Castroville in a sunflower field near a nice creek. Friday the birds were flying (all white wings) and pretty much everyone got a limit without a problem. The birds learned very quickly the second day and there were hardly any birds to speak of. Between 4-10 birds each for the full day's hunt. All in all it was a great trip, I got to take a bird with my late grandpa's early 1900's Diamond Arms .410 on the first shot which is a memory will stick with me for a lifetime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

South zone around Yoakum the birds are non existent.
Aint even getting out the shells.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

The half dozen different areas I've heard about all have had poor hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 am 
Field Grade

Hopefully this cooler weather will drive the birds down to us. Let me know if anyone starts to see more birds, I would love to get out once or twice more this year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

Just got back from hunting doves 25 days in southern Oklahoma. Lots of Mourning Dove migrators moved in over the last week and a half. The guy I hunt with in Oklahoma has a theory that when you start seeing the Monarch butterfly migration the migrators will really start moving in. Lots of Monarchs moving through southern Oklahoma when I left there yesterday. Good hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

A516 wrote:
The guy I hunt with in Oklahoma has a theory that when you start seeing the Monarch butterfly migration the migrators will really start moving in. Lots of Monarchs moving through southern Oklahoma when I left there yesterday. Good hunting.

I'm not so sure. San Antonio has been filled with butterflies for almost a month and the dove still stuck there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:54 am 
Presentation Grade

A516 wrote:
Just got back from hunting doves 25 days in southern Oklahoma. Lots of Mourning Dove migrators moved in over the last week and a half. The guy I hunt with in Oklahoma has a theory that when you start seeing the Monarch butterfly migration the migrators will really start moving in. Lots of Monarchs moving through southern Oklahoma when I left there yesterday. Good hunting.

I hope they make to Texas soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Season here has been open two weeks and I have killed 2 birds. Went hunting 4 times and have fired a total of 10 shells trying longer range shots with a new shotgun. This is shaping up to be the worst season on record. I am praying for a good strong front to come in soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am 
Field Grade

Considering taking the family out dove hunting this weekend West of San Antonio, has anyone had much luck in the Houston - San Antonio area the last week or so?

Weather has been hit or miss lately and the dove numbers seemed down early in the season so not sure if there are enough birds to get the guns out or not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

We have plenty of doves! Come hunt with us. www.DoveBucket.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 am 
Field Grade

I have limited out on all hunts this season except for the Central Zone Opener. Still seeing quite a few Morning Doves but the White Wing number have certainly declined.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Where do those white wings go in the winter?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lots of doves on our leases now! Two more weekends to hunt!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lots of doves on our leases now! Two more weekends to hunt!!!