It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Collared Dove
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Last year we had about a dozen Collared doves in our yard from time to time. This fall we have had a couple hundred hanging around. We just started getting snow this week and they don't seem to be in any hurry to move on. Anyone else seeing an increase in the number of these birds. Here in Washington you can shoot them year round as they are considered an invasive species.

Post subject: Re: Collared Dove
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:59 am 
Presentation Grade

In Upstate SC we're having a gradual increase in numbers. They're thick in the Lowcountry of the state. They don't migrate, and their expansion has progressively been to the west and gradually to the north. Federal guidance is that they are invasive and thus no federal framework, seasons, or limits. Some states have restrictions for different reasons (primarily having to do with perceived confusion over ID'ing them when hunting other species), but in SC they are also unprotected. I consider them "bonus birds."

It will take a long time to determine their effects on native doves, but so far there is little evidence (in general) of hybridization or competition for food or space. There have been isolated reports of those things occurring in some locations. To me, they taste the same as Mourning Doves.

W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They moved in on our town about 8 years ago, and a lot of them stay through the ND winter. Most small towns have grain elevators with spillage, and they seem to live in large evergreen trees.

They are aggressive and push Mourning doves out or at least away. They rule the ground around a bird feeder. Can't shoot them in town of course. They are a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 am 
Field Grade

They are a big problem here in Texas but like most other states you can shoot them in unlimited numbers year round since they are an invasive species. I usually have a few in my bag every hunt, they taste the same as Mornings and White Wings, just a bigger breast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Collared doves have moved out of here. Raptors moved in and took out a bunch of them. Now the SOB's are working on the quail. We have about a foot of snow so the Hawks have slim pickings on the rodents. At least the quail are smarter than the doves and stick to cover the best they can. Global warming seems to agree with the raptors, they are every where.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:29 am 
Field Grade

They moved into the Denver area several years ago. And stay all winter. Cold and snow doesn't seem to phase them. They sit in the sun on bare branches or go into the pines.

Also in the Eastern plains where I hunt dove. Shoot 1 or 2 for every 15 mourning dove.

Are they a problem? Beats me. All I know is what I read, which is "not so far".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

We have an influx of what I call Turtle Doves here in Klamath Falls. Bet they are the same as your Collared Doves. Maybe 25% bigger than a Mourning Dove, tail fan shaped instead of wedge shaped. I believe they are European originally. They were brought to Caribbean Islands probably with the first influx of settlers, and the birds made the flight over to Florida. And then the rest of the U.S. They are displacing Mourning Doves here, I guess 4 Turtle Doves for every Mourning Dove. Cannot do anything that's legal because I'm in the city limits - no firearms, no BB guns, no bow and arrow, no blowguns, no spears. The fence on my side yard is the edge of city limits, and urban growth boundary past that. UBG is slightly less restrictive but still no firearms. We will have a permanent population year round in the urban area. In the fields and forest both Turtle and Mourning Doves disappear with the first frost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Mr.Brooks wrote:
We have an influx of what I call Turtle Doves here in Klamath Falls. Bet they are the same as your Collared Doves. Maybe 25% bigger than a Mourning Dove, tail fan shaped instead of wedge shaped. I believe they are European originally. They were brought to Caribbean Islands probably with the first influx of settlers, and the birds made the flight over to Florida. And then the rest of the U.S. They are displacing Mourning Doves here, I guess 4 Turtle Doves for every Mourning Dove. Cannot do anything that's legal because I'm in the city limits - no firearms, no BB guns, no bow and arrow, no blowguns, no spears. The fence on my side yard is the edge of city limits, and urban growth boundary past that. UBG is slightly less restrictive but still no firearms. We will have a permanent population year round in the urban area. In the fields and forest both Turtle and Mourning Doves disappear with the first frost.

Yes, those are Eurasian Collared Doves. Normally, cold weather doesn't bother them. They don't mind moving from the fields and forests to find better food sources in the cities and suburbs, unlike Mourning Doves which (mostly) migrate out. Some Mourning Doves are starting to winter-over in quite cold climates, however, it seems - based on reports from some areas.

W

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mr Brooks,

Wonder if ODFW would frown upon trapping them at your place and relocating them??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:17 pm 
Field Grade

I suspect ODFW won't have an issue with trapping, as long as its done in a humane fashion. I bet they don't want them relocated unless it's to Aruba. I have to check the city regulations but my fuzzy memory, very fuzzy anymore, says trapping vermin only.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well they are a pest!! Seriously, my thought was to haul em off and use em for dog training. Then eat em. I've eaten them before and they eat good as any doves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mr.Brooks wrote:
I suspect ODFW won't have an issue with trapping, as long as its done in a humane fashion. I bet they don't want them relocated unless it's to Aruba. I have to check the city regulations but my fuzzy memory, very fuzzy anymore, says trapping vermin only.

Aruba. That's funny right there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How do you tell them from a mourning dove?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:27 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

They're larger, have a black ring at the neck, and a squared tail .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do we have them in KS, OK, MO?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

Not in huge numbers, but yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:

In addition to what Vette Jockey has said, Collards tend to be more of a grayish color and have a different call too.
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared Dove

There are some around here all year, but more show up in the spring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I hunted doves with my father in Taiwan as a military brat. I shot all sorts of doves, collared doves, speckled neck doves, brown back doves & others. Pop killed ring neck pheasant & green pigeons. The only thing I shot that was exotic was a bamboo chicken (I think I was in the 5th. grade). That is where I got my first introduction to wing shooting. We have collared doves here in S.C. but not in great numbers. I worked for the DNR engineering dept. & wasn't impressed. The wildlife boys usually make good decisions but like everybody else, they are not infallible. Nothing in nature is static, wildlife is always dynamic & everchanging. I wonder about how they classify an animal as invasive. Raptors surely should be protected but not to the extent that they would cause the extinction of more desirable species. We no longer have a natural balance of nature in our environment. I am not sure how successful we can be in restoring the balance we have disrupted but at least we can make improvements. The migration of species is one of natures ways of restoring balance. I am just as happy hunting collared doves as any other kind. We called them ring necks in Taiwan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:

We have seen them in west central Kansas for maybe 10 years. Not in big numbers, but we will shoot half a dozen the first few days of Sept while dove hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

As mentioned above , they are here in large numbers in Texas especially Western Texas . Fools in town feed them and that's the main reason they wont leave cause local birdfeeders think they look pretty . I hate birderfeeders cause those darn grackles invade and take over and even the local cats wont eat them so I take it they probably taste like crap to a cat so the cats catch the collared doves and eat them .