It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Super Pheasant Shells
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 am 
Limited Edition

I bought a box of 12 gauge, 2 3/4, 1 3/8 oz. Winchester Super Pheasant lead shells. The fps is 1,450. I assumed they would be similar to the Fiocci's I had been hunting pheasants with. After shooting 3 shells in my 725 Citori, the middle finger next to my trigger finger was so sore that I had no desire to shoot anymore of these shells through the gun. I did not notice any problem with the shoulder kick being overly aggressive.

Has anyone else had any similar experience with these shells?

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super Pheasant Shells
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

It is very possible the Fiocchi load is not reaching the claimed velocity which would explain the "lighter" recoil. It is not uncommon for a load to not reach its published specifications, especially if used in cold weather, depending on the components used. I had that problem years back when loading Blue Dot powder as it did not like temps below 20 degrees so would run a couple hundred feet per second less. Recoil was very nice but the pellets lost a lot of energy.

If I were a betting man I would place my bets on this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 am 
Limited Edition

That idea might have merit, uglydog, but the Fiocchi shells were the same in both warm and cold weather, as far as my middle finger was concerned. I did however notice a bit more finger discomfort using the 1400 fps Fiocchi's, as opposed to the 1200 fps ones. I'm not even sure the faster shells are really necessary.

It was 25 degrees the day I shot the Winchesters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 am 
Diamond Grade

I have shot a lot of heavy loads in my light weight O/U. Some heavier than the one you describe. For me. that middle finger problem happens because of the way I am holding the gun (fingers too close to the trigger guard) and doesn’t seem to have much to do with the shells I am shooting.

It happens to me sometimes when I am shooting clays with light loads. When it hurts it reminds me to move my right hand back a little to get my middle finger off the trigger guard, and to hold on properly. Then it stops hurting. More than likely when I have the problem, I also have too much finger on the trigger which moves my middle finger into the guard.

I can’t ever remember having the problem shooting heavy loads while hunting. Maybe because of the excitement of the moment I am holding on to the gun more firmly with the right hand. The other thing is I carry the gun with my right hand located where I can feel the safety with my thumb and that tends to keep the fingers back off the trigger guard???

To use too many circumstances, ere one come to the matter, is wearisome, to use none at all, is Blunt.”(Of Discourse) Sir Francis Bacon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 am 
Limited Edition

Those are good points, chucka! I do shoot lefty, and keep my left thumb on or very near the top safety. In the excitement of a bird flush, I more than likely don't always have my hand positioned properly. That could be part of the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:15 pm 
Field Grade

I do not use anything aside from the Hevishot family
of shotgun shells. I find them to be of the highest
quality and provide the absolute best in performance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

footballtime wrote:
I do not use anything aside from the Hevishot family
of shotgun shells. I find them to be of the highest
quality and provide the absolute best in performance

Do you buy those shells or does Environ-Metal, Inc. provide them to you for constantly shilling their products?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

Update:

I discovered the problem to be my gloves, rather than the shells. For some reason, the thick winter gloves I was shooting with made it harder for me to get separation from the trigger guard with the middle finger. Hurts like hell! I had worn these winter gloves while shooting a pump, and I never seemed to have a problem, but I sure did with the O/U.

Anyway, warmer weather allowed me to use some thinner gloves again, and I didn't notice such a problem. The shells themselves have been deadly! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 am 
Field Grade

Try the Hevishot Pheasant shells.....I use them and they are awesome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:16 am 
Presentation Grade

No matter how fast the shell is -- if you're behind the bird you will miss -- just with more velocity