It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cleaning pheasants
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but ........

Over many years I have always skinned or breasted pheasants. But I see a lot of recipes for plucked pheasants.
How does one pluck a pheasant, is it any more complicated than just pulling the feathers off? Is it easier if they are warm or cold?

Post subject: Re: cleaning pheasants
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skinning is a pain in the rear, but many restaraunts call for it, and it helps the pheasant from drying out. One big thing you can do to help is to scald the bird before plucking. Here is a link that describes the process.

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.c ... never.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pheasant is a chicken. Wife and I used to raise chickens then have a big butchering session but don't anymore as it was a chore and with both working it cut into the free time. Also they actually cost more to raise than to buy. Another story except that the person writing the article that says its enjoyable has a different idea of enjoyment than I do.
Probably we skin them mostly because setting up a scald for a bird or two is a PITA. I Used to use a gas camp stove but when the water got there we scalded a lot of birds in one batch. Even so you can find an old kettle and stove top warm the water to get a good scald. The feathers should just about wipe off. Young birds may have a lot of pin feathers that you have to pick individually.
As most chicken recipes are for skin on chickens I could see the value. Chickens are not shot through the body with bird shot either.

DP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:07 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I have picked them before and a skin-on bird is a better bird for the table. Especially if you are shooting birds from agricultural areas where they have good feed and lots of fat on 'em. But, they are hard to pick. The feathers stick tight and the skin tears easily, particularly if they were hit hard or the dog was a little hard-mouthed. Scalding is definitely the way to go if you want to pick them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks guys
I helped my mother scald chickens when I was a kid, back in the 60s.
I remember the stench.
It ain't gonna happen with pheasants.
I was hoping there was a better method.