It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rabbit Gun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am in need of a Rabbit gun,and really wanted to get something inexpensive. I also need a short barreled gun. I don`t want a 12 or 20..my favorite gauge is the 28,,so a Rem Express 870 with the 25" bbl is a possibilty..but the Mossberg .410 with the 24" bbl is also looking like a lot of fun,,and considerably less cash. So I would like to hear from people who use a .410 for rabbits/Squirrels. The shots I will be getting on Rabbits are sometimes as close as kicking a blowdown and flushing one out..heavy briar patches etc..so I don`t expect long shots. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Rabbit Gun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use to have a single shot .410 and hunted both rabbits and squirrels with it. A friend of mine had the Mossberg pump .410 and also hunted rabbits and squirrels with it. It will do the job especially on rabbits which are usually shot closer than squirrels and are easier to kill than squirrels. I would highly recommend using 3 inch shells over the 2 1/2 inch ones. The 3 inch shells generally resulted in less wounding/cleaner kills for us. I would use #6 shot although you might get by with #7 1/2 shot for rabbits. #6 shot worked better for me. I have thought about getting a Yildz O/U .410 for rabbit hunting. But my 20 gauge Stoeger Uplander works so well I hate to not use it.

Post subject: Re: Rabbit Gun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

For the money you can't go wrong with the Mossberg. Advise given above is spot on about shells. How ever for some odd reason I've found #4's pattern very well out of a lot of .410's. If you get one that patterns them it's a really great squirrel load. I've owned at least one .410 since I was 9 and I just turned 72. Wonderful little guns.