All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are we a dying breed?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Maybe, but I still do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm 23 and i enjoy small game hunting the most. Deer hunting is my least favorite. I believe i have a patience problem. The reason I think that small game is my favorite, is that i honestly just like to take walks through the woods. If i don't shoot anything, that's ok with me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I wish I could find a place to walk through the woods and hunt small game - within an hour of home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Small game hunting is by far my favorite hunting. Nothing beats a day a field with the shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Today was our Squirrel opener (9/1/16). I shot a limit of 6 in about 3 hours. Never heard another shot even when I got back to the house and was outside. Way back when (50's and 60's) opening day was a big deal. We would go early and sleep in the car to hold our spot. Rabbit hunting is a little more popular but not much. Don't care I love it. I live on a small river that's low right now.When it comes up we'll do a float for em.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you had a great day, Mike! I spent the day in corporate meetings and 3 hours in interstate traffic.

You win!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You had to hunting for those little tree rats? My neighbor has shot more than 75 this summer in his back yard and they are still stripping his fruit trees.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am 
Field Grade

As you can see by my low post number I don't post to often, thought I'd give it a go and bump this thread. I hunt with a small group, I'm the baby at 67, the oldest is 83.....and he still carries a 12GA A-5, granted we only go out for two or three hours. Big game is of no interest to me, sold all the centerfire rifles, my three shotguns serve me well for small game and birds, use an old Glenfield Model 25 .22 some days, found this little gem near new for $100 a few season ago.

Flannel…..the fabric of old men

"Old age and trickery beats youth and strength"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have a cousin back in north Alabama that is hard core after the squirrels. Uses mountain cur dogs and hunts off a mule. There is still a good number involved in this endeavor as Vance regularly makes the rendezvous hunts in north Mississippi and where the White and Arkansas rivers meet in SE Arkansas.

I would agree that the rack-mania aspect of deer hunting may well be the ultimate ruination of all hunting. Guys paying large sums to shoot a buck in an enclosure (high fence operations) hand raised from a doe that'd been AI'd is likened to sex with a condom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I love sitting under a shade tree watching the sky for doves as well as shuffling around in the woods looking for squirrels. I'm in my early 40's so hopefully I have many more years of small game hunting left ahead of me. While we may not be a dying breed we are definitely a rare one. I don't personally have any friends, save one, who would be considered small game hunters. Most all of the hunters I know are into either deer or hogs. A few have hunted doves and even ducks before but no squirrel or rabbit hunters at all that I know of. The one small game hunter I do know is up there in years and doesn't get out much anymore. But oh how I love to listen to his stories from days past.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I wouldn’t say dying per se, we’re just fewer and far between. I’m 28, started off hunting big game because it was “the cool” thing to do. I met an older gentleman who knew I hunted and wanted to know if I would be interested in running beagles and hunting rabbits. Of course I was. I’ve been hooked on small game ever since. I still enjoy the occasional deer hunt, but I’d always much rather take my beagle out and hunt rabbits now. I believe less people get into small game because it’s not as glorified and you don’t get that “trophy” that proves you got the big one. Small game is more humble in my opinion.