CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: coot and common snipe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

i heard coot doesnt taste all that good. and common snipe? think i see them all the time when fishing, never knew they were a game bird. ne1 hunt and eat these guys? the snipe at all comparable to a ruffie?

Post subject: Re: coot and common snipe
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

To me snipe taste similar to woodcock, but have not killed that many snipe. Now coot or poodelou are good if properly fixed. If you like gizzards coot have an unussually large one that's great eating. I've eaten coot stew that was excellent eating, but alas I don't have a receipe, just know it had a lot of vegatables in it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

ghilliehunter wrote:
the snipe at all comparable to a ruffie?

For sport I'm sure you will find snipe to be a great challenge. On the table I'd compare them more to dove than anything else I've eaten in both size and taste. If you think you are seeing them when you are fishing make sure you have them properly identified. There are other shorebirds that look similar enough to a novice and none but the snipe are legal game birds. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Snipe to me taste closest to woodcock. Darker meat than a dove. I tried my first coot last season. After everything I had read I was a little scared. It didn't taste bad though. The shooting was fun. We would motor upwind, cut off the motor and drift in with the wind. If the coots were in a cove they would always choose to fly out one side of the water or the other not wanting to leave over the land. It was fun shooting and the dogs enjoyed the retrieves. Snipe are a lot of fun with a shotgun anytime you can find them. I have had several poor duck hunts turn into good snipe hunts. They will occasionally hold to points from my GWP's and the dogs are always helpful in finding the downed birds. After you have hunted snipe you will no beyond any doubt what they are by the sound they make when they flush.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 am 
Field Grade

Agree on the snipe flavor. I do find however that I always seem to hammer the heck out of them when I hit them.......so it takes a fair number of them to have a meal.

Coots.............well a good way to prepare them is eviscerate them in the field and cool the carcass quickly. Take them home and pluck the birds. The get a small piece of 2x4 and slather it in peanut butter and stick it into the body cavity of the bird. Roast in the oven at about 325 until done and the skin is a nice golden brown.
Take it out, pull out the piece of 2x4, throw the coot away and eat the 2x4........it will be more tender. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Coot wasn't any worse than many of the ducks I have eaten. It wasn't tough either. I'll admit they are kind of gross looking compared to a duck, but what we have heard about eating them is not true.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

That depends on what kind of coot you are talking about. The common coot normally found in fresh water is said to be pretty good table fare. The bird they call "coots" in the New England states is a sea duck. They are actually some type of sea scooter. I think "coot" is a general term for any sea duck. They eat them up there. Maybe they feed on something different before they migrate down here, but the ones killed here are pretty fishy. We have a season on sea ducks but they are rarely hunted. There are a couple outfits that guide for them in N.C. You have to be 3 miles from land during the special sea duck season.
As for snipe, I love to hunt the little suckers but it is hard to find huntable numbers & not easy to hit them when you find them. They do resemble dove on the table.