CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting Rabbits Alone/no dog- which shotgun do i bring?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:56 pm 
Utility Grade

So im going rabbit hunting solo (with no dogs) and it occurred to me that my hunting 12 gauge may be too powerful if the rabbit is close to me. (which im assuming since i have to kick them up out of the briars). i also have a 12 gauge remington 870 home defense shotgun. with an open bore and 18.5 in barrel. it spreads quick. so i got to thinking...would the 870 be a better choice?

what do you guys think?

mossberg 535 - 28 inch barrel - modified cylinder

or

remington 879 - 18.5 inch barrel open bore cylinder

I just wanna make sure i dont blast the rabbit to hell.

Post subject: Re: Hunting Rabbits Alone/no dog- which shotgun do i bring?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

If you don't want to blast the rabbit to hell you can let him run until he is far enough away to not tear him up. Your first choice above makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Modified is the safest all around choice for rabbit hunting. If he is close, just aim out in front of him a bit and kind of graze him with the edge of the shot if setting, or lead him a bit if running. If the rabbit is running away from you, cover him with your barrel (to shoot over/in front of him). You can difinitely use cyl choke. I do at times, a poly-choke a lot, imp. cyl, and even full choke. It just depends on the load I want to use, the cover/terrain I'll be hunting, and how the gun patterns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

ive been out a few times to this property to scout for rabbits. and it seems like every time i scare up a rabbit it is literally 5-10 ft away from me. i only get to see it for about 1-2 seconds before it hits the next cover. so my logic is that ill probably take a shot at it when its very close to me. which is why im doubting my mossberg. every bone in my body is telling me that the 870 will spread fast enough that i wont blast the rabbit to high hell. but i dunno if im crazy or not. im gonna bring both guns out anyways. just trying to get some advice from those who have done it before (solo).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

In that case take the short gun, shoot one rabbit and examine it. You will know what to do from there. Nothing like actual field experience to confirm or disprove a hypotheses.

Post subject: Hunting Rabbits Alone/no dog- which shotgun do i bring?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Where I live, it's al farm country with old houses, old breaks here and there. We rabbit hunt kicking them up and shooting solo. I use my 12 ga with a ic or modified. 1 oz of 6 works well. They run fast, and are gone in few seconds. I have never had an issue that the 12 ga and ic or m didn't cover. Use the gun you are used to the most. Experience trumps theory. Theory is fun to turn into experience. Enjoy!

Tab

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have any other chokes with your Mossberg besides modified? If so, Mr. Butler mentioned the imp. cyl and I'll second that it is a fine choice for rabbit hunting in my experience. It is good for the up close shots, and no problem killing rabbits out to 30 yards or so with the right ammo. I shot one this last season at about 10 yards with 1 1/4oz 4 shot out of my Ithaca model 37 12 gauge imp. cyl. The rabbit literally flopped over on his back with his feet in the air like on some kind of cartoon. You could definitly see the holes in the meat where the 4 shot went through, but it wasn't "shot up" beyond use. The back legs and the back strap were fine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

i do have imp. cyl. that is actually what i had in my gun. dont know why i typed modified. but i brought both guns out. there were a few instances when i felt like the 870 short barrel was perfect but i gotta be honest with you guys and say, yeah most of the time i felt better with my hunting mossberg. im used to it. but at the same time. saw NO rabbits :( so cant really say much on the damage department.

i think though i might just stick with the mossberg 28" Imp Cyl. for now though. seems more multi purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know that in different parts of the country the game and the terrain is different and different chokes are needed. If I had to use only one for everything, I would pick imp. cyl. Modified is great for rabbits, and I had rather use modified for doves above all else. But if I could only have one it would be imp. cyl. Use what you have there. It will be just fine.