Shotgun Forum banner

Small Game Hunting Pictures

58K views 182 replies 24 participants last post by  Filnez 
#1 ·
After seeing nothing for days, I finally got another squirrel. It had rained here in Alabama and the woods were damp and quiet to walk in this afternoon instead of loud crunches with each step. I think I may have found the perfect squirrel load for my shotgun; Winchester Super X 3-1/4 drs. eq. x 1-1/8 ounce of #4 shot (1250 fps). Much less recoil than the typical 1-1/4 ounce at 1,330 fps loads which would be not good in my 6-3/4 pound double. Just right pattern density, with 1-1/8 ounce of them just enough to put 6 pellets through this squirrel at 35 yards instead of brutally grinding on it like heavier loads usually do at shorter ranges, and the #4's are large enough to penetrate through and through leaving no lead in the meat. The only factory loaded 1-1/8 ounce of #4's that I know of! The only other way to get a load like this would be to load them yourself, which I may do later.

First Squirrel of the Season:

Second

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pictures, Filnez. One of my favorite squirrel loads for my 12 gauge O/U was Winchester Super Pigeon, 3 1/4 drams and 1 1/8 oz. of extra hard #6 shot. Patterned tightly, penetrated well and not nearly as much recoil as the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz. shells.

#4 ·
You're doing good; it's about time for some squirrel stew. :wink:

Our season opened on 10/5/13 and, due to some unexpected surgery, I haven't been out yet. Weather permitting, I hope to do so next Saturday.

That's a very pretty shotgun your using. What kind is it?

#5 ·
It's a Grulla 209E 12 gauge. That third squirrel was downed with a Federal 1 ounce of 6's at 1290 fps load. I found several pellets in it, with quite a few just under the skin on the off side. Even clipping along at that launch speed, the 6's didn't pass completely through. The 4's do for sure, and I'm wondering how 5's would perform.

#6 ·
No. 5 is now my favorite for squirrel hunting. I like 1 oz. @ 1,300 fps in my 20 gauge Remington 11-87 with an improved modified choke tube. It does the job very well with most pellets passing through. Try the 5s; I think you'll like them.

Sweet looking gun, that Grulla.

#10 ·
Found out about some areas over in Bankhead forest that have been subject to some quail habitat restoration work. Some portions have had thick growth and understory removed, leaving long leaf pines, and the areas burned off to get rid of crap and promote new growth. I think they did around 2007. Anyways, I had to go walk around some there today to see how it looked. Beautiful, areas of clearings, large pines, areas of mixed hardwoods and pines, and creek bottoms left alone with heavy oak growth. It was a wonderful afternoon out, in the upper 50's so it wasn't hot and humid at all, and cloudy enough to kill off the bright sunshine. I didn't see any quail or rabbits, but did find one squirrel, so I shot it from around 25 yards or so with a 1 oz. load of Federal #6's out of the Grulla SxS. Lot's of acreage to explore, nice place to hunt.

#12 ·
I have some good pictures but how do you go about it! I'm not a computer geek so if its to complicated then I'll just skip it! Nice pics!

#13 ·
I don't know how complex this would be considered by you, but I upload my pictures to the photo hosting site Photobucket and link them to here and other sites from links provided by the host. I don't know if photos could be uploaded directly to Shotgunworld or not. It sounds a lot harder than it actually is, as once you've ever done it it becomes simple. There are several free image hosting sites around, Photobucket is just one that I have used for years.

#16 ·
Run your mouse cursor over the thumbnail of your photo, a box will appear with several options to choose from. Click on the one that says get links, and several link options will appear. The bottom one is the one you'll want to put pictures on a forum like this. Click on the link, it will show that it's copied, then paste that link into your post here and post it, the picture will be there instead of the link text.

It may sound a bit complex, but it's really simple after you try it out. Upload to Photobucket or other site, copy the link given, paste into post, done.

#17 ·
Where's Claymoco? Like to see some other small game pictures besides my own.
Here's what I shot this morning, might get another this afternoon. Grulla 209E 12 gauge, Winchester 1-1/8 oz. of #4's at 30 yards. Put 8 pellets through this one. Great load, big pellets complete penetration and don't have the squirrel saturated with holes and lead like the smaller shot. I like this load.

#19 ·
Nice! Sure wish I could figure out how to post pics I have some good ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.