It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Small Game Hunting Pictures
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Filnez wrote:
I've got a Beeman R1. 177 springer airgun that I have not hunted with yet and an Evanix AR6 PCP that hasn't been shot much in a while. The Kimber is just so much more comfortable to carry and shoot and more accurate with long reach that it's difficult to put it up and use the air rifles.

Those pre-charged rifles are something else, very impressive. I saw a video of one that had a fairly wide selection of calibers/interchangeable barrels and even a barrel that shot crossbow bolts. They showed footage of them killing a warthog with one of the bolts. I'd love to have one but I could never bring myself to spend thousands of dollars for it.

My nephew had a Beeman spring air rifle. I didn't care for it. The sound and feel of the spring releasing sounded cheap to me, no offense.

I have the Crossman F-4 .177. It fires the alloy pellets at 1200 fps. I use the regular lead pellets because I haven't seen the alloys for sale at stores. They are rated at 1000 fps. It comes with a CenterPoint 4x32 scope (cheap I'm sure but I'm no scope expert) and an adjustable trigger. The trigger is still horrible but I only paid $90 for the rifle. It has a mild recoil to it. If you can hold still you can punch the edges of your previous hits on paper at fifty yards with it. For what I paid for it I am highly impressed with it. I have no hunting grounds that would allow shots over fifty yards on small game anyway so accuracy over distance doesn't matter to me. The F-4 weighs six pounds and isn't hard to carry. It is a single shot of course, and I need to practice loading the rifle while keeping my eye on something else :shock: . It is too easy to loose track of where the squirrel went if you can't keep your eye on him.

Have you had any success hunting any other game than squirrels with it? I would imagine rabbits would be difficult in thick vegetation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got this one yesterday morning. Felt bad didn't get out any today. Hopefully tommorrow. Air temps slowly getting better. Kimber Hunter 22 with Weaver RV9.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've killed a very few rabbits with the PCP; have not tried the R-1 yet. Carried it a bit one day, but didn't see anything to shoot at. The R-1 is a big gun and weighs 10 pounds scoped, so it can be stressful to lug around after a while, so I most often will use a lighter gun. Back in the early 1990's I went through several of the Beeman R series rifles, R-10, R-1 and RX1. Enjoyed shooting them, but just got to be too much expense to fool around with as we had some bad times with health and money then and I sold what I had and has been a loooong time to try another. Best I can do with this R-1 is 3/4" on paper at 30 yards. Have practiced shooting pine cones and nuts on the pecans and walnuts here at home and over at the inlaws place, managing fairly well to hit many shots up until around 40 yards or so. Past that distance, the Kimber 22 walks all over the airguns, with occasional kills at very long distances. Most shots are at less than 50yards, just never seem to have the air rifles when seriously hunting. Every time I carry a shotgun, everything shows up at ten feet or past fifty yards, bad luck I guess!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got these two early this morning. Sat in a good spot with the Beeman R.177 pellet rifle, but had worried about multiple squirrels showing up and not being able to get a followup shot on a moving target, so I had the Grulla 209E 12 gauge SxS with me too, and I did shoot one then another running away as I had thought might happen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:22 am 
Diamond Grade

fishinpolejoe wrote:
If you can hold still you can punch the edges of your previous hits on paper at fifty yards with it.

Filnez wrote:
Best I can do with this R-1 is 3/4" on paper at 30 yards.

I'm not sure why I said fifty yards. Twenty five to thirty yards is usually where I set my paper targets to dial the scope in.
Filnez wrote:
The R-1 is a big gun and weighs 10 pounds scoped, so it can be stressful to lug around after a while, so I most often will use a lighter gun.

:shock: I don't blame you!

Nice head shot BTW.

I hope to get some time behind the scope today after I finish hanging some tobacco.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Got out early Sunday morning around seven, beautiful cool morning with no wind, easier to spot squirrels. Just a beautiful morning right after sunrise here in Alabama.
Spotted this squirrel around thirty yards away moving around in the top of a pecan tree. Had to be patient a few minutes to get a shot not obstructed by leaves, then dropped a .22 caliber Eun Jin Dome pellet right through the old noggin, and it dropped straight down without even a twitch. Spotted a couple more later across the woods with binoculars, but the wind had picked up a little bit and I could not relocate them as I crept closer to where I had spotted them. Rifle is a .22 caliber Evanix AR6 Renegade pcp air rifle with Nikon's 3-9x40mm EFR scope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 16ga Ithaca 37 and some vintage Peters #5 shells did the work on these last Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:23 am 
Diamond Grade

I brought home two this evening using the Winchester SX1 12 gauge and #4 shot. I had shot a third one, heard it hit the ground and didn't hear it run off. I could not find it to save my life. One of these I had to climb down a little cliff to retrieve.

Everything is so thick right now and the gnats and mosquitos will eat you alive. Things will be much easier when the weeds die off and the leaves start falling.

Cleaned by the porch light.

You ain't eatin' if you don't break a sweat. Squirrel quarters boiled with red wine, garlic salt and bay leaf. Dipped in egg and rolled in a cornflake/flour breading with freshly ground black pepper and garlic salt. Fried in pure bacon grease. Garlic cheese biscuits and macaroni and cheese. Not pictured, a tall glass of home brewed sweet tea and a slice of store bought coconut cream pie for dessert.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're making me hungry, Joe. I'm gonna have to try your recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

First rabbit of the season; I was going through the edge of a small open area in my woods that is full of weeds and a big brush pile when it flushed and ran, but then committed a fatal error and stopped right before running into the thick growth, somewhere around about 20 yards or so away. Peeked the barrel of the Kimber Hunter around the tree I was standing behind just enough to clear it and put a CCI Subsonic through the head. It flopped around on the ground for a few seconds and I thought it might need another bullet to finish it off, but in a few seconds the thrashing around was done. Not a big rabbit, but probably average sized for a cottontail around these parts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice score, Filnez, and some mighty fine eating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

How do you post pictures off a phone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Turkinator wrote:
How do you post pictures off a phone?

If you mean pictures that are just saved on your phone you can't. You have to upload them to a website first. Then you copy the URL or link address. Press the "img" button and paste the address in the middle.
[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1KvPdyuZiLk/hqdefault.jpg[/img ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:10 am 
Diamond Grade

lossking wrote:
You're making me hungry, Joe. I'm gonna have to try your recipe.

Nothing beats dumplins in my opinion. I can't wait to get at least three squirrels in one day so I can make them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

After getting skunked yesterday due to the wind I finally caught a break. I made my way down to the river after working in the tobacco patch all day. I sat a while and didn't see anything, but a squirrel was barking across the river, teasing me like he knew I couldn't get to him. Fighting sleep I decided to walk downstream. I go just a few yards and I see a fox squirrel coming down a tree that is growing at an angle over the water. I thought I let it get close enough to the bank but it wasn't. I pulled the trigger too soon and she splashed down into the river. I hurried downstream so I could catch it floating across the shallow shoals but it was nowhere to be seen. Luckily the river was very clear and when I got back to where I shot it I saw it laying on the bottom! I wouldn't have thought it would have sunk that fast. I took off my boots and socks and waded out almost up to my hips in the river and got my squirrel.

She looks old with that grey nose but she didn't skin like an old squirrel. The meat feels like it will be tender. She is soaking in ice water and I am about to go make a small batch of dumplins out of her.

I'm sure that will be a very pretty tail when it dries out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's awfully quiet around here. Where has everyone gone? Filnez?

Anyway, that fox squirrel made a fine pot of dumplins. Tender meat and plenty of it.

I got this one Thursday evening and it is still soaking in the fridge.

Any of you guys have any luck freezing the meat? I hate to make a mess in the kitchen cooking one squirrel, unless it's a big fox squirrel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hunted again yesterday and bagged three gray squirrels. Two others, that I should have gotten, gave me the slip.

Joe, I typically freeze my small game after cutting it up and soaking out the blood in salty water. I used to wrap the pieces tightly in clear plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and then with butcher paper, which is a little time consuming, but pretty effective. If you squeeze out most of the air, the meat will keep for a long time with minimal freezer burn. Now I use a GameSaver vacuum sealer, which is faster, works better, and gets almost all of the air out. They work well and aren't too expensive:

http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers ... x115488490

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

lossking wrote:
I hunted again yesterday and bagged three gray squirrels. Two others, that I should have gotten, gave me the slip.

Joe, I typically freeze my small game after cutting it up and soaking out the blood in salty water. I used to wrap the pieces tightly in clear plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and then with butcher paper, which is a little time consuming, but pretty effective. If you squeeze out most of the air, the meat will keep for a long time with minimal freezer burn. Now I use a GameSaver vacuum sealer, which is faster, works better, and gets almost all of the air out. They work well and aren't too expensive:

http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers ... x115488490

Thanks for the tips! I've been meaning to get a vacuum sealer for a while. It isn't often that I get more than two or three squirrels at once. They don't seem to stay out too long after sunrise and they don't come back out before almost sunset lately.

I wound up combining my squirrel with some other bits of meat I had in the fridge and made a good pot of chili.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Killed one Friday; didn't get out over the weekend, got health issues that can make for some really bad days (CIDP, arthritis, chronic migraines, etc.)and stayed in bed on painkillers most of Saturday and Sunday. This squirrel fell over a barbwire fence and got stuck, thought I was going to have to cut it off of there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe, squirrel chili sounds great. I must try it some time.

Filnez, sorry to hear of your health issues. I'm 67 years old, have relatively mild arthritis and suffer with occasional very persistent headaches. I've slowed down, but still manage to hit the woods now and then. Hope you feel better soon and are able to get after them again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next