It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best ever squirrel gun!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 am 
Field Grade

FPJ, you're in IMO the finest place in the world, Powell Valley. In it's entirety there's no prettier place that's for sure. I used to fish a lot but have about quit, but I fished the Powell R. a lot and especially the Powell side of Norris L.. Fished the Clinch often for smallmouth, from Dungannon to Norris L.

You'll got some no doubt good squirrel medicine. I always considered the O/U rifle & shotgun but never tried it. I'd never thought of the advantages of a screw choke, but I can see what you mean now.

I finally got in the woods yesterday, first time since end of sept. I took my open sighted 22 for a change. Only managed one shot with it and missed. I could've gotten 2 easy with my 16 ga, need of a quick shot. I was in a woods I know has a # of squirrels but it just seemed like they weren't active, only seen em on the ground around denning beech's. Only saw 4 total from 8am to 2pm, and never saw any until 12 noon. Even the turkeys were in the trees most all day, saw a bunch. I was sure counting on squirrel for supper today!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Drawdown wrote:
FPJ, you're in IMO the finest place in the world, Powell Valley. In it's entirety there's no prettier place that's for sure. I used to fish a lot but have about quit, but I fished the Powell R. a lot and especially the Powell side of Norris L.. Fished the Clinch often for smallmouth, from Dungannon to Norris L.

Thanks! It's awfully nice on your side of the ridge too. I've been to Martin's Fork Lake many times on hot summer days to swim. I've been itching to take my Jeep Cherokee over to Black Mt. in Evarts too for some off road fun and to ride that zip line up there. I've met and worked with a lot of good folks from Harlan county.

You have surely fished more than I have then! I like to dabble in things and be an expert at nothing. I do enjoy fighting the small mouths in the Powell and catching a few good mud cats to fry once in a while. Most of the time though you can't get the red eyes to leave the bait alone long enough for anything else to find it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Remington 514 and my Wingmaster 12GA, depends on my mood and ground condition.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I've also decided the Ithaca Model 37 in 16 ga does a good job, as well!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:21 am 
Utility Grade

Halwg wrote:

Very nice Ithaca. What kind of squirrel is on thr far right? We have only grey and fox squirrels where I hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:55 am 
Diamond Grade

BluetickHunter wrote:
Halwg wrote:

Very nice Ithaca. What kind of squirrel is on thr far right? We have only grey and fox squirrels where I hunt.

The one on the far right is a fox squirrel as far as I know. That is what we called them in Ohio growing up and what they are called here in Missouri. How does the squirrel you call a fox squirrel differ from the one on the right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

double20 wrote:
Mine would have to be the gun I took my first ever squirrel with in 1982 - Stevens .410/.22 over/under. Very good gun to use as you can use the .22 if they are sitting still and switch to the .410 if you get a moving shot. Best of both worlds. My Dad still has that gun and still uses it on occasion.

Mine was 20 under a 22...best walking around gun I ever had. One of those things that was gone when I got home from the Army. Still miss that gun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:41 pm 
Field Grade

FPJ, I used to fish Martins Fork a lot also but like I said I've quit it all. Only fishing I've done in last 12 years is occasional trip with my boy to Norris or Douglas.

This is definitely the place for 4-Wheeling. I hit the road from my house on my 500 Foreman often and can go anywhere in the county. I usually ride from here over in the M.F. Lake area often. I really enjoy it, nothing like the mountains. The zip-line, no thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:30 am 
Utility Grade

double20 wrote:
BluetickHunter wrote:
Halwg wrote:

The one on the far right is a fox squirrel as far as I know. That is what we called them in Ohio growing up and what they are called here in Missouri. How does the squirrel you call a fox squirrel differ from the one on the right?

Looks similar to our fox squirrels but yours just seems to have more of a red color.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:42 pm 
Utility Grade

20GA Wingmaster or my Marlin Glenfield Model 80.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I'll 2nd the savage 24, mine is also a .22 mag over 20 ga.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

This has been my most enjoyable squirrel rifle. Its a 25 cal. flintlock that shoots a #3 buckshot pellet at about 1600 fps. I made it a few years ago in the poor boy design as I was kind of anxious to use it.
When a mixed bag is in order th 20 ga smooth rifle is another choice. It handles shot fairly well but is far from a full choke pattern.

DP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been squirrel hunting for over 60 years, mostly with a 22 of various makes and brands. My favorite was the Winchester Model 77. It supplied my table with lots of different small game, plus a couple of deer shot at close range.

One of my favorite squirrel rifles is a Sears Model 34 in which I use only CCI hollow point shorts. It is deadly on squirrels and those CCi HPs do the job.

Last week, I decided to buy an all weather rifle due to the high humidity and almost daily rainfall in my neck of the woods. So I bought a Stainless Steel Ruger 10-22 with the polymer stock. I hope that it gives me half the service that some of my older 22s have given me.

Ammo is plentiful around here since Advance opened their store a month or so ago. I bough a couple of bricks of LR HPs. They had the buckets of Remington Goldens but I didn't want to be a hoarder.

I hope that the 10-22 does what I want it to do accuracy wise. I plan to put a scope on it as soon as I get the rings for it. Squirrels, look out. I am gunning for you!

Any of you gents use a 10-22 all weather?

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those be well-tried before you give them your confidence.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a Winchester model 1897 that using no.5's a squirrel can't get high enough in a tree to be safe. I also have a model 12 duck gun that will knock them out of a very tall tree.
With both guns I have to have good separation or I shoot them all to peices

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Bought a case of Herter's 16 gauge # 5 shot from Cabelas. So my favorite squirrel gun for awhile will be probably be one of the old Iver Johnson Champion 16s, Stevens 94 16 or the Remington 31 16.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'd have to say...

Today... I'd be my remington 20ga 1100.

And my Browning SA-22 short only rifle..

But also have a slew of super accurate 10/22s..