It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ready to get after the squirrels
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Killed right at 350 last year and hoping to get over 500 this year. Got a little Stoeger 3020 that I'm dying to try out on them. Season opens here in a couple weeks amd we are going to be hard after them

Post subject: Re: Ready to get after the squirrels
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Why kill so many?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Why would it matter the overall seasonal count if the laws for daily bag limits are followed? Somebody retired with plenty of time to hunt and a state with liberal bag limits could easily get big numbers like that. I can only dream of numbers like that, usually get approximately fifty every year, along with a few rabbits and birds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does not matter. Just curious why someone would want to kill that many. I squirrel hunt and kill some every year but to kill 500 you have to kill 4 or 5 a day for the whole season depending on length. I would get tired of it after a while. On the surface ,killing 500 sounds excessive to me but as long as legal I have no problem with it and it would no matter if I did[SMILING CAT FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]. I am just glad I do not hunt where he hunts as I would likely never get any[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES].The older I get I guess ,for me, it much less about numbers or getting a limit but more about getting out and enjoying the great outdoors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Same here. You'd have to really like the taste of squirrel to want to eat 500 of them in a year.

I don't. Plus, I never hunted them with a shotgun, anyway. IMO, that's what .22's are for.

To each his own, I guess.

obozocare--It's so good, you'll be fined if you don't buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:01 am 
Utility Grade

Our squirrel season runs thru 7 months of the year and I've got a couple of families that eat every one I bring them. I sell the tails to help off set the cost of dog food and I run my dogs several days each week. Some of the old men that hunt every day kill 1000+ each season on the same public land I hunt and we dont put a dent in them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:47 am 
Field Grade

I kill maybe 30 to 50 squirrels per season because that's all I care to get. I do like a good squirrel gumbo now and then, but the main thing for me is to get in the woods after a long, hot, humid summer and just enjoy the relief of the fall season.

I just pulled out my 12 gauge with the versatile Polychoke on the barrel, along with a couple boxes of 5s and 6s with a plan to get in the woods this weekend.

I use the Polychoke because with so many leaves on the trees down here in Louisiana, my shots can be from 15 yards on out to 50. That little device makes just about any range possible without danger of too many or too few shot hitting the target.

When all the leaves are gone, which usually doesn't happen until winter around here, I often screw on a tight turkey choke for those rifle-distance shots. I'm old, and squirrels can see me coming for a long distance when the trees are bare. Besides, I'm too feeble to do any racing through the woods anymore. Maybe I need a dog to tree 'em for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

That's way more squirrels than I would ever want to mess with. We have a 6 per day limit here, and I generally only hunt about 2 hours a day when I hunt. I killed 16 last year and thought that was a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:55 am 
Field Grade

No limits here in England. Greys only.

Glad you use them.
Most get dumped here!

R.

Psalms 83:18