It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rifled barrel v smoothbore
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 am 
Field Grade

Hey folks,

I live in Toronto, Canada. Many deer hunters up here use rifled barrels.. I have a smoothbore. How much of a advantage is it to hunt with a rifled barrel and slug over a smoothbore and rifled slug? Is it appreciable? Negligible?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Post subject: Re: Rifled barrel v smoothbore
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I believe the advantages will only be shown at distances beyond 50-75 meters. In my slug experience from work, I was able to hold a 3 inch group of 3 shots at 50m. under 9 inch at 100m. These were shot with the Remington foster slugs, non rifled barrel with rifle sights. You may have defferent results

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:39 am 
Field Grade

Can you please explain to me what rifle sights are? How are they different from sights in general?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rifle sights on the Remington 870 are metal sights as on a rifle barrel. This is an Express model with sythetic stock.

I don't know if these folks can ship to Canada, but here is a website you can look at to get ideas as to prices here in US.

http://www.barrelexchange.com/

Hope this helps!

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:52 am 
Field Grade

I have two barrels.........one rifled barrel for deer hunting and a smooth bore for turkey. I get a better/tighter pattern with the rifled barrel at greater distances (over 40 yards) than with my smooth bore. But the smooth bore with my turkey choke is excellent. I own a Mossberg 535/Camo 24"/22" barrels.
p.s. My sights are exactly like the above pictured gun.

gh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Depending on your rig, with shots up to 75-100yds I have seen no appreciable difference in deer killing success. The rifled barrel will definitely shoot smaller groups, however. Additionally, I have yet to find a sabot slug that drops them any faster than a .73 cal lead Foster slug...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Rob one thing about a rifled barrel vs smooth is you can get them with the cantilever for mounting scopes.Put a good Red dot or low power scope on there and you've got a great deer rig easily good to 100+ yds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

NautiBuoys wrote:
Depending on your rig, with shots up to 75-100yds I have seen no appreciable difference in deer killing success. The rifled barrel will definitely shoot smaller groups, however. Additionally, I have yet to find a sabot slug that drops them any faster than a .73 cal lead Foster slug...

+1

Tell em like it is. {hs# Those sabots are junk compared to Foster's. Especially on dangerous game like hogs.

slomo