It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you trespass?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm sorely tempted to do just that. My attempts at getting permission have all failed, and I'm almost to the point of saying, "No harm, no foul." The fields around me are far from civilization (mostly corn fields with stretches of forest running through them), so it's not like I'd be waking the neighborhood.

Anyway, I'm not looking for anyone's justification or condemnation, though I'm sure I'll get the latter. I'm just curious if anyone else does it.

Have you gone on an adventure lately?

Post subject: Re: Do you trespass?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Hunt Wildlife Management Areas.
With a hunting license and an additional fee of like $25 for a management permit you can hunt them.
I thought of doing what you suggest, but it is actually a major felony. You wouldn't be looking at fines. You would be looking at jail time. Trespassing is a minor, but shooting a firearm, or even letting the bullet pass over private property for that matter is big time bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Señor Bagley, we no have thees problema out here!

Seriously, J, we really don't have too much problem in this respect here in Az. We do run across it once in a while, but we have lots of public lands, NF, BLM, etc.

And we might even find some work for ya too!

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know there are people who do it. There are people who do a lot of stupid, crazy and illegal things, but it is still a lousy idea. That vacant area "far from civilization" may actually be someone's favorite hunting spot. So not only are you ruining his/her spot, but you will get caught to boot.

Listen, I share your frustration. So many areas that used to have hunter friendly land owners, have been taken over by a new generation of 'politically correct' = anti-hunter owners who will not provide access. In other instances, truth be told, the poor actions of members of our sport have caused the land owners to prohibit access. In some places it has become a business, and that 'vacant area' has actually been leased.

Not trying to condemn you, just trying to point out why trespassing is not the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Based on the area you list in your profile, I would check this site out.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pag ... heets.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Nope. I don't even think of it. If I go on someone else's property without permission, then I'll need to take down the posted signs and security cameras on my little 15 acre piece of this big rock.

Sure, id like permission to hunt the neighbor's place but he hunts it and it's his right not to let me hunt it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

There are more than a few reasons to not tresspass for the sake of hunting. Your failure to obtain permission could be because of a political or philosophical belief by the landowner or they may have the land leased to another person or group. Think about the other side of the coin and ask yourself what you would do if you had a legitimate reason for not allowing a stranger to hunt your property or were paying good money to lease a plot and you found somebody tresspassing. It is probably different down here but private and/or leased land is held in high esteem and tresspassers are looked down upon and the fullest extent of the law is used to keep them off of that land. We have our 2500 acres of leased hunting land posted and registered as posted land to give Game Wardens and even Sheriff Deputies full arrest ability to any tresspassers.

Just remember that tresspassing is illegal and if caught the ramifications can potentially be severe. Your best bet would be to try to befriend the landowner and determine the exact situation. They may be very friendly people that are not anti hunting (I've found many owners and farmers hunt themselves) and unless the land is in fact leased or used by close friends or family you will have a shot at gaining access down the road. Just be aware that land is not free so some restituation to them would be in order...be it some money, a gift on occasion or a portion of the meat obtained while hunting their land. A nicely packed backstrap and a bottle of good bourbon goes a long ways to show appreciation once somebody has permission.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Never. My Dad taught us better. If you want to hunt on private property, get permission. It's the right thing to do. Just mho.

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:47 am 
Diamond Grade

The positive (a deer in the freezer) is just not worth the negative consequences if you get caught. Kids will be kids, but adults should know better.

I did as a kid on occasion and one time I nearly got my a$$ shot off by a highly pissed off farmer. Hard lesson to learn, but it did the trick. Haven't done it since. Crazy thing is that I know fellas that are my age (mid 30's) that still do it regularly. They've been caught before and a couple have even served jail time for trespassing, but that doesn't stop them. Some folks just never learn I reckon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not only that but it can be dangerous as well. You know, the whole "know your target and what is beyond it" thing.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.----Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks all. I ended up taking a walk on the property in question in spite of my better judgment, and it wasn't 15 minutes before I came to my senses and accepted that what I was doing was not in any way justifiable. I left immediately.

A few days later, another local field that is posted NT had four does just sitting 20 yards into the brush off the road. Not all that sporting, I know, but I'm mostly in it for the meat. I was again hit with a "rationalize this, you dope," thought. I got kitted up and was prepared to harvest one, and again I finally came to my senses. I drove home, somewhat frustrated but knowing I'd done the right thing.

I shouldn't need to ask you guys if it's right or wrong - I know the answer to that one already. Thanks for the accountability.

Have you gone on an adventure lately?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I have trespassed though I don't do it knowingly. For example, I've got standing permission to hunt any land controlled by a farmer friend that I go to church with. I mentioned a particular spot that I'd hunted and he got a wide-eyed look on his face. He said, "I gave that piece up about 5 years ago". He'd never mentioned not still farming it and I'd not thought to ask about it, either. So, had I been accosted, I'd have said, honestly, that I thought my friend still farmed it, though I'd have been completely wrong. You can bet I won't be on that place again, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Armed trespassing and a felony if caught.... no thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm 
Utility Grade

As a believer in property rights, no.

My right to hunt does not trump another's right to not allow me on his property.

Mario

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm 
Crown Grade

It's probably the same everywhere; but here in Florida it goes like this: Trespassing unarmed is a misdemeanor, trespassing armed is a felony, and by the way, trespass by projectile (firing across someone else's property) is also a felony.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hmmm if you do it around here or to the people that I know that own property you would rather have the police find you first. Your vehicle will get trashed, your gun will get wrapped around a tree and at that point you better be running down the road. It is a huge deal to step foot on property that people own or lease for hunting purposes. They put work into it all year and someone trespasses!! Not around here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm 
Utility Grade

used to" was a kid then" know better now" like the man said if i don't know your there, an accident could happen, opps,

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here's a different take from what's already been posted. First off, no I do not trespass and here's why. Besides the obvious things like respecting other's property rights, possible damage to my truck by an irate landowner, and possibility for an "accident", here is something else to consider. One of the joys about hunting and being out involved with nature is the ability to relax and forget about the everday grind and recharge your batteries so to speak. Hell, sometimes I go hunting and those things are more important to me than actually harvesting an animal. When you are trespassing, you can not relax and cleanse or recharge. At least I can't. I found out early in my hunting career that whenever I did something illegal whether it was trespassing, hunting or fishing without a license, or some other offense, I was constantly looking over my shoulder for the game warden or hiding when a vehicle came down a road near me or staying tense and alert to avoid being caught at whatever it was I was doing wrong. I did not find this enjoyable at all. It took all the enjoyment out of hunting and fishing. That's when I decided that I would do everything by the book. After that, I realized how peaceful and relaxing it was to be out there when you weren't worried about being caught for doing something wrong. I didn't fear that the next vehicle coming down the road was the game warden to bust me. It is just so much better to be able to go out and relax and enjoy yourself without anything hanging over your head. Hunting isn't always about killing an animal. But having said that, I seem to kill more animals when I am relaxed and carefree than when I am tense and worried. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

If it was my property and i caught you. You would be hauled off and prosecuted to the fullest extent posssible. I own the land and pay taxes and i expect people to respect it. Regardless of what you think is your right respect the person who owns the land. By you or people of your ilk you end up screwing up access for other people. Find somewhere else to hunt. Better yet move.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

i live in the uk, we have no public land etc...

it has been common knowledge that "people of ill character" go poaching in places they really shouldnt. a few times there have been instances where shotguns have been used for protection and assault. in one case there was a van used in a easily arguable attempted murder, let alone the theft of farm equiptment. as a normal person, i`d like to convince you to behave legaly.

you dont want to get caught with your trousers around your ankles !

here they make silencers for shotguns, i`m lead to believe, its handy for this application.